hey guys

been thinking about buying this amp as im a big dissection fan and they used 900 DR head i believe. i've listened to some sound clips on youtube as well as on records.

I can buy it outright for about £370, good deal? why is the 900 frowned upon by some?
That's a pretty good price.
The reason they are frowned upon is that they are essentially a hybrid (15 op-amps and 9 diodes in the preamp) and you can hear it. The most common word to described it is "fizzy." About the only thing they are good for is punk.
Quite a few people mod them. The op-amps aren't the main cause of the fizziness, it's the diodes. If you rip out the diodes they sound quite decent. The diodes don't so much add distortion as they do replace tube distortion with SS distortion. It's just so very very dumb.
Modded they are aren't bad at all really.
I use mine as a spare/backup/guest amp. Modding it really helped.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by razorback91
hey guys

been thinking about buying this amp as im a big dissection fan

Good, because you are going to need to dissect this amp and get the clipping diodes out. But all kidding aside, that is a pretty good price. That said, I despise 212 combos
I actually like the 2x12 combo. I have been known to use it at small gigs where I can't be bothered lugging around my full rig. Just chuck the amp on the back seat, throw in a guitar and I'm set to go. Very convenient second amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Good, because you are going to need to dissect this amp and get the clipping diodes out. But all kidding aside, that is a pretty good price. That said, I despise 212 combos

Agreed on all counts. 212 combos just make no sense to me; backbreaking, less versatile and usually not as good sounding.
Backbreaking? Buy a trolley, man.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Backbreaking? Go to the gym....

Lol nah I feel yah... you can get wheels at musicians friend I do believe
Quote by BIGEV95
Backbreaking? Go to the gym....

Lol nah I feel yah... you can get wheels at musicians friend I do believe

My mate had a huge problem with Marshall a few weeks ago where his bass amp kept breaking, even after they'd OK'd it and sent it back.
They sent him a 4x10 COMBO as an 'upgrade', which was so heavy we hated the damn thing, but Marshall refused permission to fit castors without breaking the warranty!
Quote by kyle62
My mate had a huge problem with Marshall a few weeks ago where his bass amp kept breaking, even after they'd OK'd it and sent it back.
They sent him a 4x10 COMBO as an 'upgrade', which was so heavy we hated the damn thing, but Marshall refused permission to fit castors without breaking the warranty!

Seriously man:

What are you doing? Go out and buy one now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Seriously man:

What are you doing? Go out and buy one now.

It's lifting in and out of the van that's a pain in the arse anyway....but in my experience, it's not hard to drag a few mates along as roadies if you ply them with free beer.
You still need a decent trolley. It's a must have item.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You still need a decent trolley. It's a must have item.

Oh, I've got one. It's just a bit rusty from when I pushed my mate into his garden pond on it, as a Keith Moon triibute.
I also hate 212 combos. My renegade is a 212 combo, and that summbitch is heavy. Lifting that thing off an angled back stand about a year ago, I managed to totally wrench my back pretty bad. It's seriously almost 100lbs, and it's very awkward to lift / carry.

I'll take a head and 212 cab any day.

Quote by Kyle62
It's lifting in and out of the van that's a pain in the arse anyway....

This. Every time I've ever hurt my back, it was from the awkward positioning... Like reaching way out and lifting. If you ever hurt your back, you're unlikely to look at shit like that the same again. It never really heals right, and is very prone to recurring if you're not careful.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
you guys don't know heavy for a 2x12 until you've had to move a Legend Rock and Roll 50 2x12 it comes in a 3/4" solid oak cabinet which weighs a ton. kept me a good shape when i was using it for gigs.
When I've used my JCM900 4102 at gigs it meant I could have guitar in one hand and amp in the other and be ready to play. I don't what you guys are talking about. They aren't that heavy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
When I've used my JCM900 4102 at gigs it meant I could have guitar in one hand and amp in the other and be ready to play. I don't what you guys are talking about. They aren't that heavy.

Seriously. At shows, I carry my Laney head (it's ridiculously heavy) and my Mesa 2x12 by myself (and I'm just tall and skinny- not crazy strong )and the drummer helps me with my massive Acoustic 4x12. Not that difficult.
Quote by Cathbard

would you say 350-370 was a good price? im not to bothered about the diodes as my fave band used them stock and i love their tone.
Last edited by razorback91 at Dec 8, 2011,
That sounds like quite a good price to me. Over here that would be a phenomenal price. It think they go for more in the $500-$600 pricerange over there. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification