Wife's getting me a new guitar for Christmas and I was wanting to get some opinions on some good ideas for under 600 USD. I play in a 90s alt rock cover band so I need something kind of versatile.

Some other things:

- Sub 25" scale
- No maple fretboard

Have at it folks
Last edited by deepfat at Dec 6, 2011,
Just go to a music store and try out a bunch, it's hard to recommend one with such vague specifications. Also, why the < 25" scale?
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Maybe look into some of the less expensive PRS and Ibanez guitars. I've heard nothing but good about the PRS, and had an Ibanez that worked out pretty well. I don't know exactly what 90s alt rock entitles, but those are my recommends for a nice under $600 axe with dual humbuckers.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Try to find a used jaguar hh. I have one, not only does it look incredibly badass, but it was practically built for 90s alt rock. You can thank me later..
Quote by FearMyLightning
Actually what you want is a maple fretboard, because they're badass.

Yes.
Quote by ilovemyJAG
Try to find a used jaguar hh. I have one, not only does it look incredibly badass, but it was practically built for 90s alt rock. You can thank me later..

This. Dear God.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Amp?
Genres?
Current Gear?
New/Used?
Closest City?

Answer those.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by ilovemyJAG

This, and so much this.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Last edited by EspTro at Dec 6, 2011,
Quote by EspTro
HSS or HH MIM strat should be right up your alley, leme pull a link

*EDIT*

HH
http://www.samash.com/p/Fender_Blac... uitar_1309600

HSS
http://www.samash.com/p/Fender_Stan... uitar_1721508

TS said he wanted a <25" Scale neck. Strats are 25.5".

90s alt rock cover band

Being as it's a gift, and people rarely give used gear as gifts; Tell her to get a Fender Blacktop Jaguar.

/thread.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Dec 7, 2011,
If you want a good versatile guitar with a <25" scale it may well be worth looking around for a used Gibson Les Paul Studio in your area as they sometimes pop up in that price range. Failing that, the Epiphone Les Paul Standards also seem to be pretty reliable guitars or the Epiphone G-400 if an SG shape would suit you better. As suggested above, the Fender Blacktop series guitars are solid instruments and should you feel so inclined you would have some money left over for a pickup swap. I have heard good things about the Gibson Melody Maker model they put out, however being as it only has a single coil in the bridge it may not get all the sounds you are looking for. ESP has a take on the les paul in that price range as well called the LTD EC-256 that may be worth looking at. Those are about all the <25" scale guitars I can think of in that price range for you.
Quote by JKHC
Amp?
Genres?
Current Gear?
New/Used?
Closest City?

Answer those.

Amp: currently practice with a crappy little Fender 15W Frontman but gig with a AC30VR (bars here won't let us bring bigger rigs)

Genre: Mostly 90's alt-rock (STP, Soundgarden, PJ, Weezer, for example)

Current Gear: MIM Fender Standard Strat.

New/Used: Open to used if the instrument is right.

Closest City: Closest big city is Mobile, AL and New Orleans
Quote by stevo_92
Just go to a music store and try out a bunch, it's hard to recommend one with such vague specifications. Also, why the < 25" scale?

<25" has always felt the most comfortable is all.
Quote by deepfat
Amp: currently practice with a crappy little Fender 15W Frontman but gig with a AC30VR (bars here won't let us bring bigger rigs)

I'd rather not go into amps. I haven't tried the AC30VR so I have no idea how it is?

Spent 2 mins searching new orleans craigslist and got bored. This is all I came up with:
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/msg/2729553592.html

It has a few scratches but its a good price. And it comes with a crappy amp to go along with your frontman
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by deepfat

You're from Mobile too?!

Quote by moscaespañol
You're from Mobile too?!

Close...live in Gulfport.
Quote by deepfat
Close...live in Gulfport.

Close enough, I lived in Gulfport as a child. The apartment we lived in was utterly decimated by Katrina though.

If anyone hasn't already said it(didn't read the thread, lol ), the Fender Blacktop series, especially the Jaguar , because of shorter scale, may be what you're looking for.

If you' re not interested in buying a used Gibson Les Paul or a blacktop Fender, maybe try one of the more higher end Epiphone Les Pauls? They're basically the same as the Gibsons, just foreign made. If you' re willing to splurge another $80 you can get one of PRS' SE series guitars they're all on the 600-700 range, and the 25.5 inch scale feels like 24.75 inch scale because their guitars mostly have 24 frets.
Expanded my budget and have decided on the PRS Custom 24 SE.

Plays like butter.