Page 1 of 4
(As this is more of a general/cultural question, I decided that this doesn't belong in the NFL thread. )

I've really been getting into American Football recently, but there is one thing that seems strange to me, as a Brit.

The lateral pass, if my understanding is correct, can be thrown at any time, yet it seems to be a very rare occurrence. Watching matches, there seems to be many situations where a quick lateral would gain the attacking team an extra couple of yards, and it's certainly true that the right combination of moving and passing (a la rugby) can often gain more ground than a simple run (but not more than a good forward pass, obviously).

Soooo my questions are...

1) Why are so few laterals thrown? Does the average non-receiver just have too poor handling to risk a turnover? Is it because of the relatively high concentration of opponents around the ball at any given time?

2) Are there any instances of teams utilising the lateral pass relatively often as part of their attack?
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
Simple answer, it usually leads to a turnover.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Too risky, usually used as a last resort. However, designed option plays do exist.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
it barely happens. i think because of its high risk of a turnover. guys in the NFL are basically taught [on offense] that if the ball isn't in your hands, block for the guy who has the ball. catching a backwards lateral is not the first thing on their mind. likewise the defenses are taught to attack the ball, get it back for the offense. if they see you throw the ball you're dead.

it will usually happen if a team gets one more play and they can win/go into overtime with 1 more touchdown. it rarely works. this past sunday the carolina panthers QB Cam Newton threw the ball to a wide receiver who then threw the ball all the way across the field back to Newton [in a backwards motion, a double forward pass is illegal]. the wide receiver had attracted so much attention that Newton ran all the way to within the 5 yd line.

but no, its not a regular occurence
Getting hit as you throw it will lead to a live ball, happens all the time.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
It happens more often in college ball, example....

....THE PLAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZCCAqoSwY

We won from a deficit in the last 10 seconds with I believe 5 laterals.

EDIT: Still a rare, rare case though.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Last edited by kaptkegan at Dec 6, 2011,
It's way too risky in most cases, it's usually just used as a last resort when a team needs a TD with no time left on the clock. The only time it's typically used during the normal course of the game is on option plays, where runner tosses the ball back to his teammate trailing him.

If you have any more questions though, feel free to ask in the NFL thread
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by hadesdaman
(As this is more of a general/cultural question, I decided that this doesn't belong in the NFL thread. )

I've really been getting into American Football recently, but there is one thing that seems strange to me, as a Brit.

The lateral pass, if my understanding is correct, can be thrown at any time, yet it seems to be a very rare occurrence. Watching matches, there seems to be many situations where a quick lateral would gain the attacking team an extra couple of yards, and it's certainly true that the right combination of moving and passing (a la rugby) can often gain more ground than a simple run (but not more than a good forward pass, obviously).

Soooo my questions are...

1) Why are so few laterals thrown? Does the average non-receiver just have too poor handling to risk a turnover? Is it because of the relatively high concentration of opponents around the ball at any given time?

2) Are there any instances of teams utilising the lateral pass relatively often as part of their attack?

you know i've always wondered if this will eventually become a big thing in american football. there was a time when the forward pass was illegal (when it was closer to rugby).

but i doubt it. there are laterals sometimes (jacksonville vs cinci this season comes to mind). but successive ones increase the likelihood of a turnover especially with highly skilled position players. there are only a few guys on the field at a given time that are used to having the ball. if gridiron football were as fast-paced as rugby it'd probably happen more and turnovers would be less of a big deal. as it is the game is much more methodical and cerebral. everyone has specific duties and assignments, routes and blocks on each specific play. constant lateraling lends itself to a bunch of dudes just running around in a big mob of people.

check this shit out though:

#DTWD
Awesome, thanks guys
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
to be honest, I thought they were awful. I mean some of the songs our drummer's written was better than their stuff.
Quote by kaptkegan

....THE PLAY

What the fuck were that band doing? Fucking retards.
That was practically rugby there.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by primusfan
if gridiron football were as fast-paced as rugby it'd probably happen more and turnovers would be less of a big deal. as it is the game is much more methodical and cerebral. everyone has specific duties and assignments, routes and blocks on each specific play. constant lateraling lends itself to a bunch of dudes just running around in a big mob of people.

That was my guess
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
Quote by Trowzaa

they were running that return as time expired. once you hit the ground you're down. the band thought the ball carrier was tackled and stormed the field because they thought the ball was dead and the game was over.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
they were running that return as time expired. once you hit the ground you're down. the band thought the ball carrier was tackled and stormed the field because they thought the ball was dead and the game was over.

Ah, fair enough then. I'll let them off this time.

Quote by Trowzaa

Every time we watch this, or mention it, and it gets to the part where the guy (I think he's a sax player) just gets mashed, we yell "THE BEAR DON'T STOP!"
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Quote by kaptkegan

....THE PLAY

That was just rugby
Was that a Championship game or something?
You lot get too over excited over College football, you don't see us lot going mental over St Andrews vs Cambridge in football

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
That was just rugby

pfffft. rugby is checkers; american football is chess.
#DTWD
Quote by Trowzaa
You lot get too over excited over College football, you don't see us lot going mental over St Andrews vs Cambridge in football

colleges are where rugby football was first played in the US. college is where it evolved into american football. it has a much richer history and tradition than professional football. you've also got a ton of crazy, loyal drunk college kids so that's part of it.

that said, i can't take college football seriously. they don't even have a real playoff system for christ's sake!
#DTWD
Quote by Trowzaa

That sir, was one of the annual Big games, between Cal and Stanford. Every year we play for pride, and the ownership of the Ax, which was (according to legend) made from a meteor that hit part of Stanford around the turn of the century.

tl;dr: its one of the big rivalry games.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

Ah, I can appreciate a nice rivalry.

Quote by Trowzaa
Ah, I can appreciate a nice rivalry.

Over 100 years running. Apparently when the trophy with the Ax is at Stanford, they actually change the result of the year in which The Play occurred, because they're bitter that we destroyed one of their band members. And they contest a call on that play.

language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

Oh come on, I'm english and even I know that's a clear touchdown. Silly Stanford.

^ the question is whether all the passes were legal. i think they claim that a player was down when he passed and/or that it was a forward pass at some point.

the music city miracle is indirectly responsible for the jaguars not going to the superbowl so i contest that one on principle ... IT WAS A FORWARD PASS!
#DTWD
1. No it's risky and easy to turn the ball over.

2. Yes, it's called an option play. Rarely run in the pros though and I've been seeing less of it in college.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Trowzaa

This. I love NFL football and most pro sports, but never understood that fascination of college sports.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
This. I love NFL football and most pro sports, but never understood that fascination of college sports.

Honestly, I didn't get it until I got to college, and even then (mostly due to the fact that most of our teams [rugby, taikwondo, and a few others excepted] suck), not until sophomore year when I got to some football games. The spirit of going and painting and cheering for people you could run into, who rep your school is pretty damn fun.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

Last edited by kaptkegan at Dec 7, 2011,
^that's cool. i wish i'd gone to a school with a football team. :/

i got into football in high school. in some places high school football is HUGE. it wasn't like ... texas big where i lived. but it was big. we won state the year after i graduated. the team that beat us the year before when i was a senior were later found guilty of using steroids. school's since closed down.

i'm a 22 year old dude who hasn't played football since 6th grade. and i'm STILL pissed about that. we should've retroactively gotten the trophy. i suspect it was our campaign of emailing IHSA afterwards that led to the investigation. that's what i tell myself anyway.<_<
#DTWD
think it was on the weekend some college wr caught the ball and two db's converged on him, then his buddy wr came onside and he threw the lateral to get the td.

i dunno whether it was by design or just improvised but that was some good football.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by WCPhils
The tradition. The atmosphere. The loyalty.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
The tradition. The atmosphere. The loyalty.

This.

Especially in the south. Which ia where the SEC (or southeastern conference) is. We are the best conference in the country and after january 9th we will have claimed 6 national championships. We live and breathe college football around here. There is absolutely nothing I love more than being in tiger stadium (lsu football field also where I went to college at) on a Saturday night in the fall. I slept on countless floors and couches spent thousands of dollars worth of borrowed money and missed dozens and dozens of classes to make it to somewhere around 20 away games in my college career. Im obsessed. Its just the pride of it all the atmosphere its indescribable.

Not to mention and im sure that most college football fans will agree. Tiger stadium aka Death Valley is easily in the top 3 best football stadiums in the country. I this k its the best honestly the only other one that comes close is the swamp at Florida.
Quote by kaptkegan
Honestly, I didn't get it until I got to college, and even then (mostly due to the fact that most of our teams [rugby, taikwondo, and a few others excepted] suck), not until sophomore year when I got to some football games. The spirit of going and painting and cheering for people you could run into, who rep your school is pretty damn fun.

Yeah it was kinda the same with me. I've been watching college ball since I was little but I didn't really start to love it like I do now until I was in college.
Quote by primusfan

i got into football in high school. in some places high school football is HUGE. it wasn't like ... texas big where i lived. but it was big. we won state the year after i graduated. the team that beat us the year before when i was a senior were later found guilty of using steroids. school's since closed down.

High school football in Texas is ridiculous, some of those stadiums seat nearly 20,000 people. Even in podunk rural Texas the stadiums are massive, it's funny seeing a little run down school along the highway with a big brand new football stadium next door.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
I think you mean hand egg.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I have a question for American NFL college people and the like.

Do you play NFL for clubs as well as schools? Or is it like a school only thing
Quote by devourke
I have a question for American NFL college people and the like.

Do you play NFL for clubs as well as schools? Or is it like a school only thing
I'm not sure what you're asking.

NFL and College football are two completely separate things.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Gridiron then. Football. Do you have like clubs that compete against each other in regular occurences where people play football?
Quote by devourke
Gridiron then. Football. Do you have like clubs that compete against each other in regular occurences where people play football?
Sure.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

It's hand egg goddamnit ! Football is something where you use your foot to kick a ball.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Page 1 of 4