Not that I'm upgrading just wanting a different tone.

Budget? - Not going over $300CAD (not including modifications. New pickups, pots etc.)

Favorite Artists? - 90's Pop Punk. Metal core, heavy metal, emo. Sum 41, Blink 182, Rise Against, Simple Plan, My Chemical Romance, Asking Alexandria, Before Their Eyes, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Alesana, Nickelback, Bring Me The Horizon.

Preferences? - I don't really care about the shape of the guitar, they all look good to me. Stratocaster, Telecaster, Les Paul, SG. Anything except those weird fender shapes that I hate. I also like the shape of BC Rich Guitars, Ibanez (I really like the Xiphos), Jackson. I prefer a maple neck and fretboard because they look great and I like the sound better. I like the denser wood and I don't mind cleaning them. I don't care about the brand, just the sound. You pay a lot for Gibsons and the sounds is no better then a PRS, and the specs are no better than an Epiphone at half the price. Number of frets I want would be 24 because I have a 21 fret guitar and I need higher notes for playing solos.

Pickups? - I can always replace them later although I could use some "hot" pickups. HH configuration.

New or Used? - New, I really can't get used guitars where I live, and the craigslist is not so great.

Location? - Richmond/Vancouver, B.C., Canada. Long and McQuade, Tom Lee are the local shops. Not really much of anything else. If anyone lives here and can suggest any stores and give the address then I'd be more than happy to go. Not really any used guitars in Craigslist and there is no Guitar Center here and I don't want to go to the States. Prices here are pretty cheap, just go on Guitar Center and subtract about 35-50$ and you'll get the price.

Current Gear? - Traynor DG-10 (pretty cool practice amp), Squier Deryck Whibley Signature Telecaster (21-fret guitar, pretty good, I like it because it was a way better guitar then my other one. I think the reason I'm so impressed with this is because I don't like the sound of the other one. Squier has an actual JB SH-4 and a better 500k pot. I usually use Guitar Rig 4 or record straight into the laptop mic input jack when recording, or into my amp and use the headphones input jack to record.

I'm thinking of getting the ESP LTD EC-10 and putting an Invader in the bridge and a JB SH-4 in the neck. Roughly $320 including the new pickups, not sure about the mod though. I've heard bad and good things about the Invader and I'm not sure if I can solo with the JB SH-4 because I don't know if it has that....I don't know what it's called but "sharpness?" maybe?
Are you kidding? Used guitars are extremely available in the fraser valley. Yeah, lots of people are asking too much, but there are also lots of deals. Of course, you have to be kinda quick or all you get is "Nope, its sold already". Wanna try something different? I just got a hollow body that I thought I would like but its not happening for me.
If you're a noob and already have a strat style guitar, the logical choice is to try a les paul next. those are the two main type of guitars. you can pick up a used epi within your price range, just make sure it's not a special II, Jr, or 100 unless it's super cheap.
300$ i bet if you look hard you can find an epi lp standard w/ a few parts missing.
I got mine (plus top) for 200$ w/ an emg 81 bridge, sold emg for 50$ and bought a tone zone/ air norton set for it.
Killer tone from that beast. Quite bright guitar but the air norton makes for the smoothest soloing i've heard yet. Neck is a bit on the fat side.

Btw vancouver area kijiji is awful.... 200 guitars? Theres 900+ almost all year in calgary.
Last edited by StateFarmsThere at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by StateFarmsThere
300$ i bet if you look hard you can find an epi lp standard w/ a few parts missing.
I got mine (plus top) for 200$ w/ an emg 81 bridge, sold emg for 50$ and bought a tone zone/ air norton set for it.
Killer tone from that beast. Quite bright guitar but the air norton makes for the smoothest soloing i've heard yet. Neck is a bit on the fat side.

Btw vancouver area kijiji is awful.... 200 guitars? Theres 900+ almost all year in calgary.

Yeah there's no less than 1000 at any given time in ottawa kijiji

only problem is there's only a dozen that are good deals, and they go fast