OK, so I've been playing for several years and consider myself a pretty advanced player. I play mostly hard rock to metal. However, I have only found myself at my most comfortable playing a fender stratocaster. That's right, I play metal on a strat. I've up graded it to emgs and a play huge string guages to give it some as much balls as I can. However, lately, I have really been attracted to the idea and capabilities of playing a seven string. Right now I am drawn to the ESP Horizon, or maybe just the LTD H Series 7 Strings. I'm attracted to these guitars because they have strat like bodies. I'm not against playing a different body style, and would really like something that has a more metal look, but a body like the horizon is still really cool. The main thing that I have always been so stuck on about the strats, is for some reason they just finger so well to me, and I can't put my finger on what it is. I know the thickness of the neck in a 7 string is automatically going to be different, but I just the way the strings feel and the slickness of the neck and ease of bending the strings. Any suggestions would be great. I live very far from a guitar center but am going soon, so i'd like some suggestions to look for.
Ibanez RGA7
"I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed. "
B. B. King

Quote by slash_GNR666
I prefer to play with your mother

But I suppose guitar will have to do
Quote by Hunterlevi
OK, so I've been playing for several years and consider myself a pretty advanced player.

thats you coming off a little bit of an ass. none of the great guitarists that i know of would call themselves anything like advanced. think what you want and i am not saying you are or you are not (personally dont care).

i was a superstrat player for forever. bought a seven string, played it for maybe a month or two, decided it wasn't for me. i didn't like the additional width of the neck, no matter what i did i just didn't care for it. i have since played some others and found the same thing.

if i want to be tuning down significantly (drop A or some crazy low pitch), i would buy a baritone. they feel a little different being that they have a longer scale and if you are doing some lower leads around say 7th to 14 frets are awkward feeling because that for some reason to me that's where i noticed the longer scale being differently the most. i really love the long scale length when you are maybe going for the 24th fret or something.

thats what i would do.

as far as necks similar to strat necks go, i for some reason say Jackson necks feel more strat-like than ibanez or ESP (they are kind of a U IIRC).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
When it comes to 7s, I think Ibanez makes the best, with Carvin a close second. One thing to keep in mind though, is that a Stratocaster has a rounder C shaped neck with a 9.5 inch radius. It also has about a 20mm-21mm thick neck. Most Ibanez's have a flat, D shaped neck with a 17.5 inch radius. The neck on a 7 is about 19mm-21mm thick.
The Ibanez neck will have wider, larger frets, and the neck itself will be wider. The frets on the strat neck will be thinner and taller, and the neck will not be as wide.

The necks on Carvin guitars will be somewhere in between. They will be slightly rounder and thicker (like a strat) but still be pretty thin and flat. IIRC, they have a 14 inch radius and are 20mm-21mm thick with a C profile.

As far as build quality, the Japanese Ibanez's (RG 7620, RG1527, UV) are great. The Carvin's, however, are custom built the way you want them. They are both great guitars, but I have to give the edge to the Carvin. It's not amazing, but better than most of the production you can get. It's also made in the USA.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Ibanez would put you into anaphylaxis as far the neck play and feel go. i haven't ever played a Carvin 7 stringer. i would probably go Jackson.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
OK thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. Sorry I didn't mean to come off as an ass, should have just said i've been playing long enough to know what I like and am comfortable with. Does anyone have any thoughts on BC Rich as manufacturers or 7 stringers.
BC Rich is great if you want to be a giant tool that looks like a wannabe poser every time you pick it up. Personally i cant stand 7 stringers, i think they're really awkward to play and uncomfortable. If i had one for an extended period of time, i still dont feel like i would get used to it, so i gotta echo what some other ppl are saying and get a baritone.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Ibanez would put you into anaphylaxis as far the neck play and feel go. i haven't ever played a Carvin 7 stringer. i would probably go Jackson.

Jackson doesn't currently make a production 7 string, and the ones they did make are super hard to find these days. The only option for a Jackson 7 string is the Custom Shop, and those start at $4,000.

And Ibanez will give you an allergic reaction that can kill you? LOL soooo much bias.
The funny thing is that Jackson necks and Ibanez necks are very similar, as is the quality control.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Personally i think owning a 7 string is more dependent on what tunings you plan on using it for. A 7 string isn't going to feel anything like a strat. Neither will a superstrat just based on the fact that its a strat shape. I have a hellraiser, which you could call a mid range superstrat and i can tell you it feels nothing like a strat, seeing how lately all i can think about is fender strats and how bad i want one (need that quack for classic rock). You need to think about how much the neck affects the feeling of a guitar.

If you want a 7 string than go for it, I'm just going by the fact you brought up the strat. 7 strings do seem cool, and I'm positive they have their place, but I personally think that I'm fine with only 6 strings.

If you like the way a strat feels, look into the Jim root strat.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0114545706

I haven't personally played it... I wish, but its most likely is the closest to a strat you can get for metal....

EDIT: also have you thought about getting an H/H pickguard for a strat and loading it with pick ups of your choice.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Dec 10, 2011,
You should try schecter guitars. they make pretty good guitars and they feel kinda like a strat. the neck does anyways.
Quote by timbit2006
Probably right around $3000 Canadian(We have to pay a lot more for some stupid reason...).

Quote by RealGuitarHero
Because of the French.

so true
Quote by Hunterlevi
OK, so I've been playing for several years and consider myself a pretty advanced player. I play mostly hard rock to metal. However, I have only found myself at my most comfortable playing a fender stratocaster. That's right, I play metal on a strat. I've up graded it to emgs and a play huge string guages to give it some as much balls as I can. However, lately, I have really been attracted to the idea and capabilities of playing a seven string. Right now I am drawn to the ESP Horizon, or maybe just the LTD H Series 7 Strings. I'm attracted to these guitars because they have strat like bodies. I'm not against playing a different body style, and would really like something that has a more metal look, but a body like the horizon is still really cool. The main thing that I have always been so stuck on about the strats, is for some reason they just finger so well to me, and I can't put my finger on what it is. I know the thickness of the neck in a 7 string is automatically going to be different, but I just the way the strings feel and the slickness of the neck and ease of bending the strings. Any suggestions would be great. I live very far from a guitar center but am going soon, so i'd like some suggestions to look for.

Jackson doesn't currently make a production 7 string, and the ones they did make are super hard to find these days. The only option for a Jackson 7 string is the Custom Shop, and those start at $4,000.

And Ibanez will give you an allergic reaction that can kill you? LOL soooo much bias.
The funny thing is that Jackson necks and Ibanez necks are very similar, as is the quality control.

i was just joking around saying that the difference in a strat neck which he seems to like is going to be hella different than a Ibby 7 stringer. even a strat and an RG has a solid difference that people didn't care for.

sorry i wasn't aware that jackson wasn't making them atm, but i was trying to think of a more similar neck style to the strat but obviously a seven string.

also YMMV, but jackson and ibanez necks feel totally different to me. i have sold off four jacksons this year (like $600-$1000) guitars, and now have an RG pristeige, the necks felt quite a bit different to me.

YMMV and really you gotta go out and play some of them. thats really what you have to do.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by epiphone316
You should try schecter guitars. they make pretty good guitars and they feel kinda like a strat. the neck does anyways.

I second that.
Quote by stoney

i was just joking around saying that the difference in a strat neck which he seems to like is going to be hella different than a Ibby 7 stringer. even a strat and an RG has a solid difference that people didn't care for.

sorry i wasn't aware that jackson wasn't making them atm, but i was trying to think of a more similar neck style to the strat but obviously a seven string.

also YMMV, but jackson and ibanez necks feel totally different to me. i have sold off four jacksons this year (like $600-$1000) guitars, and now have an RG pristeige, the necks felt quite a bit different to me.

YMMV and really you gotta go out and play some of them. thats really what you have to do.

ah okay. I thought you where being a troll. Sorry.

From my experience Jackson necks vary by guitar, I've played dinky's with thin and flat necks, and I've played soloists with chunkier ones. From what I understand the neck specs seem to change a bit depending on the year. I don't know if they do this now, but back when I was playing them it wasn't very uniform.

Ibanez necks do feel a bit different (flatter, mostly) but they are similar in profile. Once again, I'm talking about guitars from 10 years ago so I'm not too sure what they are like now.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard