I will buy new strings tomorrow.
What size should I take? I don't even know what size my guitar is using.
What brand should I take? What brand should I avoid?
this thread has all the makings of a spam bot, except it's legit.

Brand doesn't make a huge impact, really. It's a get what you pay for kinda thing. Buy an 8$ set of strings, they'll last you a dozen hours of play time and sound OK. buy a 30$ set of strings and they'll last longer and sound better. D'addario is a popular brand. Ernie ball is another popular brand. If you play in standard tuning, go with medium/light strings. if you're a drop d-bag go for something a little heavier.
Any well know brand of med. or light strings will work find on your guitar. I myself find that the D'addario phosphor bronze sound about as good as any. I prefer the uncoated because I can hear a definate difference, the coated don't sound as clear and bright, and fatigue (stretch out) just as quick as the regular, which cause the strings to lose there bright tone, and are twice the expense. If your hands sweat alot or you live in a climate where your guitar is subject to high humidity, then the coated one can be advantageous.

On a side note, you may be interested to know that many of the popular brands are manufactured be the Mapes Piano String Co. of Tennessee.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by mike_oxbig
this thread has all the makings of a spam bot, except it's legit.
Hahaha. Nice nickname btw.

Which one are easier to make bar chords, light or medium?
Also, my hands do sweat a lot, and there is a lot of humidity here.

But if I can get three sets of normal strings for one set of coated ones… well it doesn't matter.
Are the coated strings nicer to touch?
Quote by sam113101
Which one are easier to make bar chords, light or medium?
Also, my hands do sweat a lot, and there is a lot of humidity here.
Well,a truth that should be "self evident", is light strings are easier to finger than medium. Most guitar manufacturers ship with light string sets, (.012 to .053). There are also "extra light" string packages, (.010 to .047), they shouldn't be used on large body guitars, as they lack the vibrational force necessary to produce the best sound from jumbo or dreadnaught style guitars

Quote by sam113101
But if I can get three sets of normal strings for one set of coated ones… well it doesn't matter.
Are the coated strings nicer to touch?
Well, I don't know where you arrived at the 3:1b price ratio. MF has the D'Addario standard PB for $5.69 a pack, and the coated set @ $10.95. I'll link them both so you can check my math:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-ej16-phosphor-bronze-light-acoustic-guitar-strings-single-pack/h71091000000000

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-exp16-coated-phosphor-bronze-light-acoustic-guitar-strings/104340000000000

Quote by BlackbirdPie
On a side note, you may be interested to know that many of the popular brands are manufactured be the Mapes Piano String Co. of Tennessee.
Put me down as a skeptic, at least to the extent that Dean Markley & D'Addario strings come from the same factory. I put a DM extra light set on my 12 string, and about 3 weeks later, the windings on the G-3 were worn through. The same approximate guage in D'Addario lasted about 10 years. Unless you can order strings from Mapes, which are designed to wear out quickly....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Dec 7, 2011,
there is absolutely no point in buying strings online...go pay the extra 2$ at long & mcquades, get expert advice, don't pay shipping and don't wait 2 weeks.
Quote by mike_oxbig
there is absolutely no point in buying strings online...go pay the extra 2$ at long & mcquades, get expert advice, don't pay shipping and don't wait 2 weeks.
This is only true from the standpoint of an individual buyer. And yes, it could work out that way. It's an entirely different issue for me. I live in the NYC, NY, Phila PA shipping corridor. UPS ground is guaranteed overnight delivery for me, plus no sales tax. My UPS driver never gets here later than 12:00 Noon. I would be foolish for me to pay extra at the local Music Shop, when I can either order 50 bucks worth of strings from zZounds, or tag a couple of packs onto another order. 5o bucks equals free shipping! Call before 2:00 PM, and have before noon the very next day.

Yes, I consider myself very fortunate.

Expert advice, you say? I thought that was why people came here........
Quote by sam113101
I'm just trying to avoid human interactions. Hate them.

Adopt my approach, and punish people for attempting to have them with you......
You are lucky, cranky. For canadians to order from american based internet companies we pay up the ass in shipping and tax. I bought a set of gold pickup rings from allparts. I think they're based in texas, i can't remember. It took two weeks to get here, and a 25$ order came to 45$ after shipping.
Put me down as a skeptic, at least to the extent that Dean Markley & D'Addario strings come from the same factory. I put a DM extra light set on my 12 string, and about 3 weeks later, the windings on the G-3 were worn through. The same approximate guage in D'Addario lasted about 10 years. Unless you can order strings from Mapes, which are designed to wear out quickly....

Here is the brands that Mapes manufactures for -

http://mapeswire.com/specialtywire.html

Mapes makes them to of specification according to a brands requests.
Dean Markley advertises the 12 sets as antique or vintage bronze, which is just a marketing phrase for plain bronze, meaning it lacks the phosphor that makes modern bronze harder.

It's more important to pay attention to what a string is made of, than the name on the package, or for that matter, marketing hype.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
I live in NYC too. What's the best online site to buy musical instrument stuff besides zzsounds?
musicians friend isnt bad, i usually get my strings and assorted stuff( including last 3 capos) a music123. sometimes they have 3packs of d'addario pb's for 21.99 with free shipping. i end up getting 6 3packs when they do.
Quote by stepchildusmc
musicians friend isnt bad, i usually get my strings and assorted stuff( including last 3 capos) a music123. sometimes they have 3packs of d'addario pb's for 21.99 with free shipping. i end up getting 6 3packs when they do.

I order from Muscian's Friend but they take 5 days for ground delivery. Wondering of there's more sites like zzsounds that cranky mentioned.
Quote by CrazyandLazy
I order from Muscian's Friend but they take 5 days for ground delivery. Wondering of there's more sites like zzsounds that cranky mentioned.

zZounds, (I believe), ships from NJ. If that's correct, you can beat NYC's oppressive sales tax. Is there a problem for you ordering from zZounds? They've always given me top notch service.

MF ships from Kansas City. Their warehouse is located in a high traffic shipping hub, so UPS should be 3 days anywhere in the country. Sat and Sun. don't count though, just weekdays.
I checked zZ and there's a minimum order of 50. Just asking if there's anymore sites cause you're from nyc also. Guess I'll order from zZ if it's over 50.