I put my Ibanez roadstar II RS-430 on a local classified ads site for trade to see what I could get. I have been offered a BC Rich NJ from '94. I can't find much info.
From what I've read from searching the forum, BC rich gets mixed reviews, but many people said favourable things about their higher end models.
Is this NJ one of their better models? Any idea of value? Build quality? Style of music this is best suited for? Country it was made in?
From what I've read my ibanez is work $250-300, I don't want to trade down.
Attachments:
2011-12-06 21.747.20.jpg
From what I've heard, the NJ series are much much better than low end BC Riches, wouldn't know how they compare to other guitars in their range though. Think they're Korean made.
It's probably a good guitar for teh metals and decent for the rest, I guess.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Yes the NJ series are very good. Honestly most of the hate with BC Riches comes from people who are just jumping on the band wagon of hating them. And the class axe era which was what hurt B.C. Riches publicity the most. Even there low end models are not bad at all now, I had a Metal Master warlock and I loved it. It sounded nice and it had a really comfortable neck with med/low action but the body shape hurt my arm a bit which is why I got rid of it. But the NJ series are much better. Its a fair trade, try it out and see what you think for yourself though.
the first series of NJ guitars are very good and japanese made (Nagoya Japan is what the nj stands for) haven't really played enough of the newer ones to comment. which model were you offered?
Quote by monwobobbo
the first series of NJ guitars are very good and japanese made (Nagoya Japan is what the nj stands for) haven't really played enough of the newer ones to comment. which model were you offered?

I don't have any more specific model info, all I know is it is from 1994. Would that make it one of the earlier models?
NJ series is actually quite good, as DarkDevil said, a lot of hate for BC Rich is from the low end models, the NJ series is quite good, I think it's a good trade, which guitar exactly is it anyways?
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by Raccoon1400
I don't have any more specific model info, all I know is it is from 1994. Would that make it one of the earlier models?

no the first NJ guitars are from the mid 80s. what i meant was what model guitar is it (warlock, mockingbird, bich or one of the others).
Quote by monwobobbo
no the first NJ guitars are from the mid 80s. what i meant was what model guitar is it (warlock, mockingbird, bich or one of the others).

Not sure what they call it. Warlock, mockingbird etc are shapes, right? This one looks like a strat copy.
Quote by Raccoon1400
Not sure what they call it. Warlock, mockingbird etc are shapes, right? This one looks like a strat copy.

yes those are body styles. is the strat style one you are thinking about a 1 pickup guitar? sounds like an ST series guitar or maybe a gunslinger. both series were good guitars just not what bc rich is usually known for (wild guitar bodies)
Quote by monwobobbo
yes those are body styles. is the strat style one you are thinking about a 1 pickup guitar? sounds like an ST series guitar or maybe a gunslinger. both series were good guitars just not what bc rich is usually known for (wild guitar bodies)

There are two single coil pickups and the bridge pickup is a humbucker. See pic in first post. I've been researching, and I haven't found single one with that pickup config.
Quote by Raccoon1400
There are two single coil pickups and the bridge pickup is a humbucker. See pic in first post. I've been researching, and I haven't found single one with that pickup config.

BC Rich ST- III sorry i thought the guitar pictured was the ibby for some reason.
Back in the 90s I had an NJ Bich while my brother had a low-end Warlock. I don't think he'd mind me saying that the Bich beat the Warlock into the ground, both from a build-quality point of view and also playability/overall tone & sound. They are (or were then at least) very good guitars for the money.
I have an NJ warlock myself, but as its second hand I don't even know how old it is. I generally like the sound of it, but speaking as the owner of a very old and battered NJ, it is more difficult to get along with than other guitars I've played, but its been a lot better since I had the floyd set up properly and the frets redone. I dont think the NJ is supposed to be one of the better BC Rich models, but I've seen my guitar played by someone at school who really knew how to shred and it played great, so if your good enough I would recommend it. I personally prefer ibanez for acoustic models, but thats just me.
I am going to try it out and see what I think.
Does anyone know how much it is worth?
I've never understood the hate for BC Rich's. I think a lot of the stigma comes from the bronze series and the demographic they tend to attract but to be fair they're not really any worse than other guitars in the $199 price bracket.
If that's it in your first post it just looks to me like some older variant of an ASM/Assassin. Looks like BC rich branded pickups too. It's probably got pretty decent build quality, it's always been my impression that the NJ series were sort of the mid range guitars for Rich.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
yea you have a st3 st stands for strat body 3 stands for 3 pu's. korean made .