Page 1 of 2

I just found these online, they're definitely unique and the company makes some bold claims about the design. Obviously a "Triforce stack" would be a little impracticable but the idea applied into a traditional square cab (triangular speaker compartments in a 3x12 shoved into a 4x12 box) might give similar results.

This is our unique triangular speaker chamber design that drastically reduces comb-filtering due to early reflections and potential standing waves contained within the cabinet resulting in a smooth, wide frequency range with an extended yet tight low-end response.

I mean, what does that translate to in plain English? They also have a pdf showing sound dispersion and how it fills a room better, but I'm not sure how much of that is marketing hype? When you see the diagram and think about it, it doesn't really make sense. http://www.3rdpower.com/web_images/hlh312_tech_cutsheet.pdf

I'm not advertising for this company (pretty sure everyone recognizes me as a regular), I'm just really curious and wondering if applying these ideas into a homemade cab would be worthwhile.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
But then how do you amp?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
well i'm studying physics in university and this sounds like complete bull***t

Yeah, I don't see it happening
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Add or subtract cabs, or run the amp behind the stack? It's not that hard to figure out , besides that's not the point of the thread

SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

So you have to buy three cabs...and hook the one amp up to all three?

Silly mans.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
if they are 3x12"s they must be running some odd impedence speakers that Celestion or Eminence either don't make or have ever ran into.

OT but on Chevy/Pontiac Camaros and Firebirds in the mid late 90's had the upgraded sound system they called Monsoon. they typically had four speakers, two additional tweeters and a small sub. all of them were weird impediences so they could make a cheaper amp for the car. i am talking like some were 6.2 or something like that then there would be something like an 5.2 or something. so basically if you wanted to upgrade the audio at all, you had to gut the car of everything stereo related. i did way too many of those.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Unique shape, good marketting. Would they fill a room with sound any better than a traditional box cab. Probably not. Youde be buying them to visually stand out
they say V30's for speakers. what ohm is what i want to know. yes you could go s/p and come up with 8 ohms, but wouldn't one speaker be getting more power than the others? Celestion must be making special speakers for them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if they are 3x12"s they must be running some odd impedence speakers that Celestion or Eminence either don't make or have ever ran into.

Couldn't you run two 8ohm speakers and a 4 ohm to make a an 8ohm setup? Or two 16's and an 8 to make a 4/16 ohm setup? I dunno if you can mismatch impedances like that though.. Either way it makes for a confusing rig
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

The interference patterns might be more complex but how the hell is it supposed to cut standing waves? Sounds specious to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Flux'D
Couldn't you run two 8ohm speakers and a 4 ohm to make a an 8ohm setup? Or two 16's and an 8 to make a 4/16 ohm setup? I dunno if you can mismatch impedances like that though.. Either way it makes for a confusing rig

you could run 2 16ohm speakers in parallel to make it 8 ohm and run that in series with an 8 ohm and it would be a 16ohm.

but i think the two parallel speakers would receive half the power than the single speaker.

i could be wrong though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I imagine the lowend would probably be tighter, because instead of a box with bass build up in the corners, there's only 3 corners to build up, and the wall opposite of the corner is a reflective point that would disperse the waves more. An interesting concept, but I'm honestly not sure it's too practical in a guitar cab.

Plus, if you want to bring teh br00tz through your 4x12, it'd either look like a puny 1x12 wall, or you'd have nothing to display your epic amp on
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Cathbard
The interference patterns might be more complex but how the hell is it supposed to cut standing waves? Sounds specious to me.

I'm guessing they're talking about standing waves inside the cab itself, but I'm not sure how much of an effect that would really have.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I imagine the lowend would probably be tighter, because instead of a box with bass build up in the corners, there's only 3 corners to build up, and the wall opposite of the corner is a reflective point that would disperse the waves more. An interesting concept, but I'm honestly not sure it's too practical in a guitar cab.

Plus, if you want to bring teh br00tz through your 4x12, it'd either look like a puny 1x12 wall, or you'd have nothing to display your epic amp on

they are 3x12"s though, wasn't sure if you caught it.

MC am i right about different sound levels if they were to be s/p from my above post?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
**** that I want one shaped like a circle
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
**** that I want one shaped like a circle

i want one shaped like a sphere that rolls around to
eliminates harsh beaming
as they say the triangle does.

then they could have them above us at a concert, rolling around on a curving vented hanger and some on stage, so it is a full 360* viewing and audio.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
they are 3x12"s though, wasn't sure if you caught it.

MC am i right about different sound levels if they were to be s/p from my above post?

Really? They look too small to house 3 12" speakers in them? In that case, how are these practical at all? You'd have to buy 3 just to make them stand correctly, cause even though you'd make a "box" with 2, the one standing upside down would fall over cause it'd be on the tip...

TBH, I have no idea about the ohms. It does sound pretty suspect to me, that's kinda the point why anything bigger than a 1x12 is built in pairs. But, apparently I'm retarded when it comes to wiring cabinets, as can be witnessed by the 6 different times I wired my Marshall cabinet wrong before finally realizing that the jack was screwed up, then wiring it wrong 3 more times before I realized that I'm just an idiot at using a multimeter and had it right the first time So, it might be possible?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Really? They look too small to house 3 12" speakers in them? In that case, how are these practical at all? You'd have to buy 3 just to make them stand correctly, cause even though you'd make a "box" with 2, the one standing upside down would fall over cause it'd be on the tip...

TBH, I have no idea about the ohms. It does sound pretty suspect to me, that's kinda the point why anything bigger than a 1x12 is built in pairs. But, apparently I'm retarded when it comes to wiring cabinets, as can be witnessed by the 6 different times I wired my Marshall cabinet wrong before finally realizing that the jack was screwed up, then wiring it wrong 3 more times before I realized that I'm just an idiot at using a multimeter and had it right the first time So, it might be possible?

the more i think about it the more i think i am accurate. that the single speaker would get double the current making it have more output. it would really suck if they were using crazy ohm speakers that you could never swap for something else.

not like i would ever buy one though. i am pretty proficient at building cabs now. one and a third 4'x8' sheets of 3/4 baltic birch left to make a few more boxes out of, after i have my two 1x12"s done. i stain black and oil them, they look pretty nice and definitely catch people's eyes as being atypical.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by littlephil
I'm guessing they're talking about standing waves inside the cab itself, but I'm not sure how much of an effect that would really have.

I'm talking about the same thing. It would change where in the cab the standing waves would be but not the fact of them existing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MatrixClaw

lol. i have done a lot with wiring and can remember stuff like that going on. i have wired up probably a dozen or so loud ass car stereos, four of my drag cars (old SBC's two 383's and one 434), so i know what i am doing like that, but only in the last 6 months have i really done anything really amp wise. i am almost done with my second amp now, i am chasing around a short. and that is frustrating.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Cathbard
I'm talking about the same thing. It would change where in the cab the standing waves would be but not the fact of them existing.

No, standing waves exist between 2 parallel surfaces. By taking out one side, they're getting rid of 2 standing waves inside the cab (top to bottom and side to side)
There will still be one front to back though.

EDIT: They've also added a potentially much worse resonance where all 3 sides reflections will intersect.
Last edited by littlephil at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by littlephil
No, standing waves exist between 2 parallel surfaces. By taking out one side, they're getting rid of 2 standing waves inside the cab (top to bottom and side to side)
There will still be one front to back though.

EDIT: They've also added a potentially much worse resonance where all 3 sides reflections will intersect.

Nah man, standing waves can be anywhere. All non parallel surfaces do is change the interference pattern and put the standing waves in a different spot. Instead of uniform parallel waves you get an interference pattern. They still exist, they are just a different shape.
And anyway, with this shape you still have parallel surfaces front to back and that's the main planes of interest because that's the direction the cone moves.
Like I said, it's specious. It has a veneer of plausibility on first glance but doesn't stand up to critical analysis.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 7, 2011,
Guys, you're missing the point here...

****ing. Triangle cabs.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt

****ing. Triangle cabs.

I want octagon cabs, dammit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Eppicurt

****ing. Triangle cabs.

And that's better because .............
????
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If they did these as smaller modular cabs so you could combine different speakers, that would be awesome:

Metal: two 1x12" cabs, one 1x15"
Blues: one 1x15", one 3x10"

I can see that working quite well.

But either way, these look f*cking badass.
Quote by MatrixClaw

I want octagon cabs, dammit.

Sonically better but you can't stack them like triangle ones!

Quote by Cathbard
And that's better because .............
????

That's my point...it's ridiculous
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
What would be cool though if Pink Floyd used them on a Dark Side tour and had it as the prism with a prop beam of light going into it.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Cathbard
Nah man, standing waves can be anywhere. All non parallel surfaces do is change the interference pattern and put the standing waves in a different spot. Instead of uniform parallel waves you get an interference pattern. They still exist, they are just a different shape.
And anyway, with this shape you still have parallel surfaces front to back and that's the main planes of interest because that's the direction the cone moves.
Like I said, it's specious. It has a veneer of plausibility on first glance but doesn't stand up to critical analysis.

Standing waves only occur when the waveform is reflected back on itself between 2 parallel surfaces (hence the name standing waves, they don't move around, they just resonate between those 2 surfaces)

If there aren't parallel surfaces, there aren't standing waves because the waveform isn't bouncing back over itself. There are still obviously resonant frequencies, but they aren't true standing waves.
Quote by Eppicurt
What would be cool though if Pink Floyd used them on a Dark Side tour and had it as the prism with a prop beam of light going into it.

They'd need to be transparent....

....which reminds me of the most badass guitar cabs ever made, for Stigge Pedersen:

(yes, the basses are pretty cool too)
Quote by littlephil
Standing waves only occur when the waveform is reflected back on itself between 2 parallel surfaces (hence the name standing waves, they don't move around, they just resonate between those 2 surfaces)

If there aren't parallel surfaces, there aren't standing waves because the waveform isn't bouncing back over itself. There are still obviously resonant frequencies, but they aren't true standing waves.

Standing waves just means that the sum of the waveforms creates a static peak and trough. You can get standing waves in all sorts of vessels. You don't need parallel surfaces. With a regular shaped vessel you will get a particular interference pattern that will cause standing points of pressure. They are waves and they are standing. Even in a parallel spaces you get waves bouncing at all angles causing complex interference patterns.
At first glance it seems like it makes sense but it doesn't really. It would need detailed analysis to know if you actually got any benefit.

Pretty good as a stage prop though. I could imagine them at a Cure concert. Yes would have loved them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Dec 7, 2011,
No thanks, Never liked Egyptians enough to by there cabs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think they look pretty cool.I can easily imagine any prog band of the 70's to have used them if they were around at the time.Anyone know the photo of a guitarist on stage,with fake plastic cabinets behind him and ENGL's behind that?
Lets take bets on who has the first fake plastic triangle amp stack!
Maybe one you more knowledgeable types could email the company and ask them to explain how their physics on the cabs work?
And while we've got a bunch of people handy on this stuff in the thread,I recently saw a 4x15 made by acoustic in the 70's that had two speakers facing forwards like a conventional amp,and two speakers inside facing each other.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1538378-Acoustic-4x15-cab-MONSTER!
Can any explain to me the advantages/disadvantages of that speaker design?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
It's a sub-woofer. Basically think of them as a pump. Only the bottom end gets pumped out. W-bins work that way with a single speaker. The driver faces the back of the cabinet and bounces off the back and out a hole in the front. They provide the bottom end in a pretty normal PA setup.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
They look pretty cool. Impractical as hell, but they look cool.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by MatrixClaw

Fly 135 has a 3x10 Crate V32 combo
Like I said before. Over thinking it. Its all about the visual appeal of the shape. The technical aspect is dubious...at best.
Page 1 of 2