Like most jazz musicians, I eventually figured out that it is an invaluable skill to be able to sing your improvised melodies and that everything you play should come from your head, not your hands. So I did a lot of really, really simple singing exercises to try to get my singing in tune. I painstakingly practiced singing every interval until i could do them correctly. After that, I did the various scales until I could sing up the entire scale using only the tonic for reference.

But after all that, when I try to sing along with a solo I'm playing, I can't keep every note in tune because I can't manipulate my voice well enough to make all the intervallic leaps so quickly.

So what would you reccomend? Do I just not have a good enough sense of pitch, or are there are other exercises I can do to work my way up to being able to sing everything I play?
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
I guess something that might be worth mentioning; when practice singing scales, I go incredibly slowly, pretty much in whole notes. I'll take as much time as I need to get the note precisely in tune.

My problem is singing along with my improvisation; I pretty much adhere to the 8th note standard bop style soloing, and I have trouble trying to make my voice keep up with my lines.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
Personally even stuff I can perfectly pitch mentally I sometimes can't sing in tune. (obviously there's stuff that's just out of my range!)

When this happens I try to sing "at" the note - I have the correct note in my head and on my fingertips, and I do the best with my voice.
Quote by Freepower
Personally even stuff I can perfectly pitch mentally I sometimes can't sing in tune. (obviously there's stuff that's just out of my range!)

I have the correct note in my head and on my fingertips

Yes, this happens a lot with me also.
Learn intervals. How much do you know of the sofa system?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
you play what you hear as fast as you can hear. you sing what you hear as fast as you hear. that's it. if you're not playing it, you're not really hearing it. just keep doing what you're doing and don't expect a quick fix. there's a reason a "young guy" in the world of jazz is usually in his 30s or 40s. memorize solos. as in be able to sing them. and then play them. don't use charts, just hear it. don't slow down solos when you're learning them. when you're playing at 380 bpm you don't have the luxury of hearing slow, so don't practice hearing slow. unless it IS a slow song of course.
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Dec 7, 2011,