Hello,

I have an iMac and would like to start recording electric guitar.

After reading up on some homerecording forums I was going t buy an audio interface. But then I saw an ad about this : Monster Cable Istudiolink Instrument Cable. Which got me thinking about not buying an interface and trying to use the line-in of the pc instead. Just for starters, I’m totally new at this.

Is this something you guys would recommend?

Please share your thougts!

Thanks already,

Din.
Heavy metal has its own particular kind of glorious thunder — a dark, droning crunch that's almost druidic in its appeal to the adolescent psyche.
I would never recommend this to anyone, no matter how small your budget is. Just a cheap 100$ interface will sound much better than the line-in on your computer.
Quote by Ascendant
I would never recommend this to anyone, no matter how small your budget is. Just a cheap 100$ interface will sound much better than the line-in on your computer.

My "gear acquiring syndrome" is very relieved to hear this
Heavy metal has its own particular kind of glorious thunder — a dark, droning crunch that's almost druidic in its appeal to the adolescent psyche.
Quote by HH_Emo_666
You probably could buy a decent microphone.

You mean with the money I'ld save from the interface?
You'd need a microphone as well as an interface, although if your amp has a line out you can use that instead of the mic but you lose some of the amp's tone (there are cab simulations which rectiry this).

Depending on your budget & intentions it's also worth looking into multitrackers as well as interfaces as they provide everything you need (with the obvious exception of a microphone) in a single package, whereas with an interface/PC/software combination there's a much larger learning curve and you're always going to be looking for additional plugins which weren't included in your original setup.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
As a mac user I put my guitar straight into the line in. This is great and with no latency. However if you're going to use vocals or are going to mike up anything, you really need a preamp interface with a db high/low. Better yet emagic do a 6 into two interface for about 50 euros, they are pretty good with a independent volume and usb interface.
Quote by GaryBillington
You'd need a microphone as well as an interface, although if your amp has a line out you can use that instead of the mic but you lose some of the amp's tone (there are cab simulations which rectiry this).

Depending on your budget & intentions it's also worth looking into multitrackers as well as interfaces as they provide everything you need (with the obvious exception of a microphone) in a single package, whereas with an interface/PC/software combination there's a much larger learning curve and you're always going to be looking for additional plugins which weren't included in your original setup.

I suppose your right about the longer learning curve with a pc. Because multitrackers are more expensive then an interface and because of the possibilities of software instruments I prefer a pc. I think... The biggest problem as a beginner who knows as little as I do, is that you just don't know what you are going to like.