Hey guys.
I'm willing to buy a new amp.
My budget is 250$
I'd like a sound great for Hard Rock(AC/DC), and possibly heavy metal. Mostly Hard Rock.
My gear is: P.R.S Trimonti SE, Vox Big Ben Overdrive, Fender Frontman 25R.
Now, my questions are:
1) Should I get an amp with a little gain(not a full, wild overdrive), and use my Big Ben Overdrive? Like the Laney Cub10, for instance - it has a mild gain, nothing too extreme, but the sound itself is amazing. So I guess that with the Big Ben I can get a mean, wild overdrive. Or maybe I should get an amp with a serious Overdrive/Distortion channel, and use the Big Ben as a boost?
2) should I even bother getting a new amp? I mean the Fender is ok, I just don't really like the overdrive of it. Is there much of a difference between the Fender a 250$ amps?
3) What amp should I get? I tried the Laney Cub10, I kinda liked it. Any other suggestions?
What I'm expecting from this amp is:
1) To sound GREAT with an Overdrive(refer to the first question).
2) Bedroom practice amp. The only thing I didn't like about the cub10 is that to make it sound good, it needs to be cranked up. It will annoy the rest of my family.
Thanks for your help!
got to youtube and check out fender roc pro1000.........you can finjd one for around 200 us dollars..
I'd suggest you not worry about the gain on an amp if you like the sound of your pedal. I use pedals for everything, so mainly I focus on the quality of the amps sound and volume. Also if it has FX loops and whatnot. What I suggest you look for is an amp with volume, low/mid/high, and a good sound at a low volume. Just use your pedal.

I use a Crate FlexWave 120/212 and it has the gain on it for high gain, and overdrive. The gain on the amp sounds good and I can tweak it, but I can't put any effects through or customize when to go from clean to overdrive, and other options I like to do. So I stick with using my pedal board and my Zoom G9.2tt multi-fx console.
-Godin Freeway SA
-Vox Night Train NT50H
-Boss Volume Pedal
-Ibanez Sweeping Demon
-Hardwire Tube Overdrive
-Hardwire Valve Distortion
Quote by Kajinaga
I use a Crate FlexWave 120/212 and it has the gain on it for high gain, and overdrive. The gain on the amp sounds good and I can tweak it, but I can't put any effects through or customize when to go from clean to overdrive, and other options I like to do. So I stick with using my pedal board and my Zoom G9.2tt multi-fx console.

Without being harsh, the Flexwave's distortion is pretty horrible...

Do you run into the FX loop return by the way? Amps like the MG, Flexwave and Frontman often make pretty good clean power amps for modelling pedals.

Anyway, I'm guessing you'll want to avoid valve amps altogether if you find the Cub too loud, modelling is probably the way to go. The Vox VT15 or VT30 would be a good choice.
Last edited by kyle62 at Dec 7, 2011,
I would recommend the VOX vt30. Just got one today works very well. Although it doesn't have an output jack, it does have a 1/8th headphone jack. I haven't tried recording through the headphone jack yet.