Hi, all!

Basically, I'm replacing the pickups on my '72 Gibson SG (sacrilege? I need something to cope with slightly higher-gain ya see).
I'm putting in a Swineshead Condor in the neck and a Warthog in the bridge.

However, I want to put covers on. Whilst I am perfectly fine with soldering the covers on, it's the wax potting that I don't really have the facilities to take on- and it's £30 to get done per pickup here (**** that!).

So, as the pickups don't really feedback too much by themselves sans-covers, would it be absolutely necessary to do it? I'm probably going to try it anyway- I can always take the covers off if she does squeal too much.

One more thing- some people talk about putting electrical tape on the slugs. Do you literally just fold it over itself so that the pickup sticks to the cover?

You won't need to re-pot. If the coils are already potted from the manufacturer than you have nothing to worry about.

I think you're confusing your adding covers to the actual making of pickups. Some people suggest wrapping the slugs in tape before you wind a coil around it so that the metal doesn't potentially corrode the wire over time.
Quote by inkandlead
You won't need to re-pot. If the coils are already potted from the manufacturer than you have nothing to worry about.

I think you're confusing your adding covers to the actual making of pickups. Some people suggest wrapping the slugs in tape before you wind a coil around it so that the metal doesn't potentially corrode the wire over time.

Doesn't adding covers increase the risk of microphonic feedback?

Refer here for the electrical tape stuff: http://www.specialtyguitars.com/pickupnotes.html
Hmm. I've never seen that method before. I guess it could work. If you're still confused about it, it is not doubling over the electrical tape. You simply put one strip of tape on the top of the pickup. I guess it adds just enough surface area to make contact with the cover and prevent it from moving. You still solder the cover on.

When I guilt my first covered pickup I potted it with the cover on but then needed to remove the cover. The advice I got on this site was that I wouldn't need to re pot when I reattached the cover. I didn't and it sounds fine.
So are these open coil type pickups you are getting? If so they might already be potted, I know my BKP Painkiller open coil is wax potted, and the coils are wrapped in tape to keep the wax in. If so you prolly wont need to pot them again, just solder the covers on.
Quote by ethan_hanus
So are these open coil type pickups you are getting? If so they might already be potted, I know my BKP Painkiller open coil is wax potted, and the coils are wrapped in tape to keep the wax in. If so you prolly wont need to pot them again, just solder the covers on.

Yeah, they are. I'll probably just put the covers on and see what happens.