Page 1 of 3
Usually other people beat me to these threads!

Anywho...

"Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Pearl_Harbor

The assault which brought America into the war after the War to End All Wars. Certainly, for those of us who are Americans (and some of those who aren't), the ramifications of this day effected us (indirectly) and our families (directly and indirectly), as well as our identity and position as a country, to varying and great extents.

An important date, no doubt!

To share a personal family story, my grandfather (father's father) was a corpsman, a Navy medic, who was attached to some infantry unit as they pushed their way through Italy. He kept a short but very interesting hand-written diary that my father has kept (his father dying when he was a young boy) to this day. A few years ago he scanned the diary, carefully, and let me have a digital copy of the words of my grandfather as a small part of WW2 unfolded around him. To me, it means a lot to read those words.

Does anyone else have any stories of relatives in WW2 that they want to share?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I read somewhere that the prez had news that the attack was going to happen 3 days prior yet chose to let it go unacknowledged. Kinda glad they kept that under wraps if its true because that's quite the mess up.
Currently Playing:
Arma 2/3, Dayz, GW2, GTA, Splinter Cell, ESO, FF:X, Pokemon X
Quote by Minkaro
Well, it didn't do a very good job of it.

Yeah, I don't think they'll make an embarassing naming mistake like that again
And that is why God punished Japan with that tsunami.

~Semper Fi~
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah, I don't think they'll make an embarassing naming mistake like that again

I dunno. If there's another World War they can probably call it that.

Cause someone's gonna let loose with nukes then we'll all die.
And they knew about it but let it happen nonetheless so they could have a reason to join the war.
Hiroshima and Nagasaki killed way over 100,000 people.
Civilians too.
**** America.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
Civilians too.
**** America.

If the war would've continued, there would be more casualties, ironically the best choice etc.
Quote by Nameless742
Civilians too.
**** America.

That is COMPLETELY different.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
As long as we're throwing out Devil's Advocate shit. China looks at Pearl Harbor and says "pfft. That's all they did to you?"
Quote by Weaponized
If the war would've continued, there would be more casualties, ironically the best choice etc.

They knew the japs would surrender, they warped the nuclear bombs so everybody could see how big their **** is.
Quote by ninnipinni93
They knew the japs would surrender, they warped the nuclear bombs so everybody could see how big their **** is.

We dropped one bomb, they didn't surrender. It took TWO nukes man.
Quote by Nameless742
Civilians too.
**** America.

Frankly this. 100k+ casualties, America calls it "justice"
Not even 2,5k casualties, and all of the sudden it's a "massacre to be remembered into eternity"...

idungetit

Quote by ErikLensherr
That is COMPLETELY different.

Indeed, a nuke on top of a city of civilians isn't as bad as an attack on a military base is it
Last edited by Anchr at Dec 7, 2011,
I don't have any relatives that served overseas during the war, but my grandpa was in the Navy and was stationed in California during the last few years of the war.

I remember looking through an old Bible that came from my great grandparents and a calendar page fell out with Dec. 7, 1941 on it. Someone had written "Today Japan declared war on US & GB." It definitely made me stop and think about things for a minute.
Oh, from the title, I thought this would be about something interesting. Guess I'll be leaving now.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by Dreadnought

To share a personal family story, my grandfather (father's father) was a corpsman, a Navy medic, who was attached to some infantry unit as they pushed their way through Italy. He kept a short but very interesting hand-written diary that my father has kept (his father dying when he was a young boy) to this day. A few years ago he scanned the diary, carefully, and let me have a digital copy of the words of my grandfather as a small part of WW2 unfolded around him. To me, it means a lot to read those words.

Does anyone else have any stories of relatives in WW2 that they want to share?

That's pretty incredible, man.
no the real question is why are half of you ****ing stupid and have no actual education on history and therefore i ask, why are you chiming in with your stupidity? Obviously the the nuclear bomb is a moral issue but when the Germans were scurrying to get together enough scientists to make it, they forgot Einstein was a jew, and they ****ed themselves (talk about irony). And Japan was expecting a land invasion via sea, almost like the shit that happened in D-Day. So had we tried that with the japs all waiting on their coastline, america would have suffered another beach storming massacre. and like someone alread said, it took TWO nukes. They would give up. Children on Japans shores were armed and told to fight till they die, to fight for their emperor, the descendant of God. So look at the enemy and put yourself in Truman's shoes and tell me youll make a better damn wartime decision you ignorant ****s.
/rant over

in light of that, my great uncle left the Harbor the night before the attack on some aircraft carrier. I have a kickass pic of the ship. pretty cool.
People are strange when youre a stranger
Faces look ugly when youre alone
Women seem wicked when youre unwanted
Streets are uneven when youre down
My grandfather fought in Europe, or more specifically, Germany.

He was in the second wave of Allied forces to land at Utah Beach on D-Day, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and just plain kicked ass.

He's almost 96 now but he's still one of the greatest men I'll probably ever know.
Quote by Strato87
no the real question is why are half of you ****ing stupid and have no actual education on history and therefore i ask, why are you chiming in with your stupidity? Obviously the the nuclear bomb is a moral issue but when the Germans were scurrying to get together enough scientists to make it, they forgot Einstein was a jew, and they ****ed themselves (talk about irony). And Japan was expecting a land invasion via sea, almost like the shit that happened in D-Day. So had we tried that with the japs all waiting on their coastline, america would have suffered another beach storming massacre. and like someone alread said, it took TWO nukes. They would give up. Children on Japans shores were armed and told to fight till they die, to fight for their emperor, the descendant of God. So look at the enemy and put yourself in Truman's shoes and tell me youll make a better damn wartime decision you ignorant ****s.
/rant over

Towards the end of the war the US was more worried about Russia than Japan, they dropped the bombs to show Stalin their totally awesome new toy. The side effect was forcing Japan to surrender. See, they don't revise our history books outside of the US, China and North Korea.
Quote by rob904
Towards the end of the war the US was more worried about Russia than Japan, they dropped the bombs to show Stalin their totally awesome new toy. The side effect was forcing Japan to surrender. See, they don't revise our history books outside of the US, China and North Korea.

It's a bit of both. For one reason the bombs were a method of the US to show Russia it's muscles. Secondly it was also a way to force Japan, through a horrid method, to surrender so the US could focus on it's two biggest enemies: Germany and Russia.
Inb4selfrighteouseurotrash

Oh wait, too late.

My grandfather was a pilot in WW2 but he died when I was still fairly young so I never heard any stories or specifics of what he did or where he was in the war.

On a related note, Chthonic (a taiwanese band) posted this today and it's an interesting history.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OrtpCfAxYvM#t=192s
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Inb4selfrighteouseurotrash

Oh wait, too late.

Don't worry, they disgust me too.
Quote by Weaponized

Yeah american casualties. They did what was in their best interest.
Here's the note that I found in my great grandparent's Bible:

It definitely made me pause and think about things when I first found it.
Why argue about something so trivial as the 'best choice' if this happened 70 years ago ?

We live in the now. The current. The present. Not a few decades back, 7 decades back, or the time of ancient Egypt. There is no practical value in this.
Quote by Strato87
/rant over

in light of that, my great uncle left the Harbor the night before the attack on some aircraft carrier. I have a kickass pic of the ship. pretty cool.

http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v16/v16n3p-4_Weber.html

You are ignorant my good sir.
Quote by sfaune92
But isn't today the 7th?!

TS is from the future
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by So-Cal
Yeah american casualties. They did what was in their best interest.

Shut up.

Japanese casualties were through the roof as well.

My grandfather only served in the European theater, but did some great things and was promoted quickly. He's currently putting together a collection of all the photographs from the War, and adding insight to them all.
Quote by daytripper75

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/DayTripper75/2011-12-07_09-36-53_209.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/DayTripper75/2011-12-07_09-37-04_672.jpg

Quote by blake1221
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 7, 2011,
My grandfather's uncle was a partisan in Italy during WWII. He was captured and sent to a POW camp in Austria. My great-grandmother would send him boxes with food and letters when the Red Cross distributed them, and hid little messages written in milanese dialect on how the war was going inside some of the food.

When the war ended he came back to Italy on foot.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Quote by Nameless742
Civilians too.
**** America.

Fuck you, eurotrash
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by blake1221
Shut up.

Japanese casualties were through the roof as well.

Did I strike a nerve? Of course casualties were through the roof, it was a war.
Quote by So-Cal
Did I strike a nerve? Of course casualties were through the roof, it was a war.

You implied earlier that it was mainly the American forces that would be at risk, when in reality both sides were facing catastrophic mortality rates, and casualty predictions through the roof.

The Japanese were warned of the bombs twice. If they didn't take heed the first time (admittedly the campaign of warning wasn't taken as seriously by the Japanese, and wasn't distributed well), they sure has hell could have listened the second time.
Quote by daytripper75

Awesome I think that I would have the same reaction if I found something like that.
Page 1 of 3