Well, UG users, I have an old Fender Jazzmaster (1963). They cancelled the model, and recently started making remakes of it.

But this is the original. Original case with red... softness inside.

The thing is in near-perfect condition. Plays perfectly fine, I jam out on it every so often. Great, full sound. Makes for a nice punk sound, even though it was essentially made for surf rock.

So, UG users, especially you vintage lovers, how much do you think I could milk from this? (Not that I'd sell it, just curious. Mostly for bragging rights )

EDIT: It's also a nice sunburst color, if that helps.
Last edited by jeleopard at Dec 7, 2011,
i just googled 1963 jazzmaster for sale, and got your answer.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
ebay is your friend check finished auctions for an average of actual sold prices. by the way the JAZZmaster was made with (big shock) jazz in mind not surf rock. surf rock just happened to be what it was actually used for as the jazz crowd didn't really take to the guitar.
Quote by jj1565

As did I. I got results from $5000-$11000.

Also, the Jazzmaster was advertised as a surf rock guitar. Whether or not it was originially made for the jazz crowd, then Fender just accepted the surf rock connotation isn't the point. The 63 Jazzmaster WAS made for surf rock. It was advertised as such.
Last edited by jeleopard at Dec 7, 2011,
Well, those prices are the same ones we'd be likely to give you. You haven't given us any information to work with other than the year, color, and "near-perfect" which could mean a lot of different things. Condition and originality are really, really important with old guitars, so:
Does the truss rod work?
Are the electronics and solder joints all original? Scratchy pots?
What's the serial number? Does it match the pot codes?
How are the frets?
Etc., etc. This isn't like selling a 2005 MIM strat, where you can just say "great condition" and know that it's probably worth $250ish. Posting pictures would be really, really helpful, but unfortunately with the way the vintage market is, nobody's going to be able to give you an exact number unless you actually sell it.
I think those prices are waaaaay high.

Is this the model you have? http://www.rainbowguitars.com/vintage/fender/fender-1963-jazzmaster/FE63JAZZMAST/US

Click the "Ask a Question" link on the right and you'll see what it sold for. I also see many others in this price range. But if you go abroad then they're triple...

Here's another one (that hasn't sold yet): http://www.ampandguitar.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=214
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by jeleopard
As did I. I got results from $5000-$11000.

Also, the Jazzmaster was advertised as a surf rock guitar. Whether or not it was originially made for the jazz crowd, then Fender just accepted the surf rock connotation isn't the point. The 63 Jazzmaster WAS made for surf rock. It was advertised as such.

the jazzmaster was marketed toward those who were most likely to buy, it in 63 that was surf rock. it was designed to be a jazz guitar originally. so were Les Pauls for that matter. not a big deal just pointing out that while it was adopted by the surf rock crowd that wasn't the original intent.

just checked finished auctions on ebay and it doesn't appear that many jazzmasters are selling these days. checked from 61-65 and only a couple of really nice custom color guitars sold (in the 3-5,000 range) honestly its a bad time to try and price vintage guitars as the market has dropped considerably and hasn't bottomed out yet.
Serial numbers and photos would really help us out a lot, TS.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by monwobobbo
honestly its a bad time to try and price vintage guitars as the market has dropped considerably and hasn't bottomed out yet.

This is very true, but honestly, if you were to sell it, now would be the time. Prices on vintage instruments are plummeting, especially Fenders. The high-water mark of Vintage Fender's was probably around the early-mid 2000s, when Eric Clapton made a big deal about selling his Strats, Blackie and Brownie, and SRV's Lenny went on sale at the same time. After that everyone wanted a "vintage" Strat or Telecaster, and Fender even jumped on that bandwagon with the Road Worns (though the Custom Shop had been offering the "Heavy Relic" treatment for years before).

You could have gotten like ten grand for a lightly-used, stock 1963 Jazzmaster back then, now consider yourself lucky to scratch half of that.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi