hey guys, I really wanna get out and play in front of some people but currently my only amp is a 15w line 6. I'd like to upgrade to maybe a fender deluxe reverb 40w, but would that be enough for a small gig just like at a bar or a restaurant? I don't really plan on playing anything bigger than that for awhile if at all. I really don't the first thing about this stuff so help would really be appreciated
Should be plenty, but the Deluxe Reverb is 22 watts, not 40. Are you thinking of the Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod deluxe? Any one of those three amps would play small gigs just fine.
40 watts will do you for almost every gig you play.

I've not actually tried the Fender Deluxe Reverb, but I have heard a few (I know a guy who uses one in his band, though his is a pretty old one so probably a bit different to the newer models) and they do fine live. If you play a venue that's too big you can always mic it up.

I mean, my amp is 30 watts, a pretty quiet 30 watts too, but it's done every gig I've played, without being mic'd. I've played some fairly large venues/outdoor gigs with it too, so you should be fine with a 40 watt Fender, Fender amps tend to be pretty loud anyway, so you should have no problems with volume.

EDIT: To the post above, I thought the Deluxe Reverb was lower than 40 Watts!

My point still stands though, I think a 22 watt should do you, especially if you can mic it up.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Dec 7, 2011,
I think you're thinking about the Fender Deluxe VM, which is 40w. It'd definitely be loud enough for a small gig.
Last edited by Takien at Dec 7, 2011,
Get yerself a Tiny Terror, they're loud as hell. Or get the Dual Terror for even more volume. Or if you want to play metal get the yet to be announced or released Evil Terror 30W Dark Terror.
My main amp is a 15W tube head thru a 1x12 cab. I play bars and clubs all over my city, and noone ever has trouble hearing my guitar. Speaker efficiency is just as important as wattage mind you. Generally though, tube amps sound FAR louder than solid state amps of the same rated wattage. Can't remember the science behind it, but I'm sure someone will chip in and explain it.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Dec 7, 2011,
keep in mind that all the recommendations so far have been for tube amps. just about any tube amp 15 watts or over should do the trick depending on your sound needs. solid state requiers more wattage but 50 or more should work for small rooms
The main question is, "is there a drummer?" If there's a drummer then the size of the venue is irrelevant. You are competing with the drums, he doesn't have a volume knob. If there's no drummer you could get away with a 5W tube amp. If there is a drummer you want closer to 50W if you want any cleans.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The main question is, "is there a drummer?" If there's a drummer then the size of the venue is irrelevant. You are competing with the drums, he doesn't have a volume knob. If there's no drummer you could get away with a 5W tube amp. If there is a drummer you want closer to 50W if you want any cleans.

Exactly my thoughts. I can get my 30w Solid State loud enough to play to a bar if I'm by myself, but if there's a drummer, you might as well plan on at least 50 watts no matter how you slice it.
the hot rod deluxe (40 watts) would be just fine.

good luck, knock them dead.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.