Hi,
At the moment for recording band rehearsals I'm using singstar mics plugged into my laptop and recording using Audacity (Yeah I know!)

I'd like some advice on improving the quality of the recordings - the place where we practice has a PA and a couple of mics available (I think they are Shure SM57s or SM58s) - we can connect our amps to the PA via DI then we can mic up the drums and vocals. The PA also has a record-out port.

I tried connecting the record-out on the PA to my laptops mic/line in but it was very noisy.

So I think I need a USB audio interface which we can either connect the mics and DI outputs of our amps to or that we can connect to the record-out on our PA. Budget is about £30 - £100.

Any advice on a suitable interface?

Cheers.
You could use an interface attached to the record out but if you're not using the laptop for anything else you might be better getting a standalone recorder, it's above your price range (at around £250 if I remember correct) but the Zoom H4n can take stereo signals from a stereo jack or two mono jacks/XLRs.

Edit 1: With regards to portable recorders Zoom's H1 also has an external/line level source input which you could use (I'm assuming you're using a phono to 1/8" jack?) for your recordings, and it's only £79 on amazon.

Edit 2: This Lexicon device has two line ins that you could use to record depending on the output on the mixer, but if it's a phono out you could do it another way, but that depends on the setup. Oh and it's only £50-ish.
Last edited by G!! at Dec 7, 2011,
We used to record our rehearsals with a Zoom H2. Inexpensive, dead easy to use, and sounded fantastic for what it was.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll have a look into these - I like the look of the Zoom products - with the built in mics they will probably be more versatile for times when I'm at home and don't have the PA available.