Hi pit,

I'm currently in my 2nd year of a 3 year music degree in the UK. So I'm having to start thinking seriously about my future. I decided long ago i wanted to teach and having lived in the US all summer and with everything about the UK pissing me off, I want to live in the US permanently. This isn't a knee-jerk, I've dallied with the idea since a young-ish age and the summer made my mind up.

I intend to finish my degree, have a summer working in England then move over in September 2013 and stay with a friend. Hopefully for around 6 months, and I'll hopefully pick up a job.

Now my real question is, how would I go about becoming a teacher? Like, how do you get certified/get qualifications with a UK degree. I'm looking at a college in PA/NY/NJ/MA ideally.

Thanks
Well first, the easiest jobs to nail (they're always in demand) are math and science. I highly recommend teaching in either of those fields. As far as getting in without connections already established, I'm not so sure. My best bet would be to get into contact with school districts around the area you plan to move to.
Your degree isn't gonna mean much when you come here to live in the 1st world. Sorry, mate.
Check out my band Disturbed
I'm not entirely sure how it works for public schools, but I do know that private schools can hire whoever they want regardless of education or credentials or whatever (this doesn't happen a lot but my old high school did this with one of the teachers I had). Though the pay you'd get from a school that would do that would be even suckier than most teaching pays.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Do you need to go to university again to get accredited?

In the UK, you do your normal 3 year degree, then another year called a PGCE which qualifies you. Could I do my PGCE over here and get jobs in the US?

And I'd be looking at Music, or G4-G8 teaching.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Do you need to go to university again to get accredited?

In the UK, you do your normal 3 year degree, then another year called a PGCE which qualifies you. Could I do my PGCE over here and get jobs in the US?

And I'd be looking at Music, or G4-G8 teaching.

I couldn't help you with the technical stuff, but here's some shit that might help.

http://education.uky.edu/AcadServ/content/50-states-certification-requirements

http://network.latpro.com/profiles/blogs/teaching-in-the-us-teacher

http://joyjobs.com/center/certification.htm
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You're a total moron if you want to teach in the US.

I think the term is philanthropist.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
You're a total moron if you want to teach in the US.

As polite as ever Thrash. I was looking at Canada as well, but I fell for the US last summer. But still plenty of time to go to Canada and fall for that.

Blake, that answered a lot of my question

However, I still dont know how I'd get accredited without any qualifications. Like, if I wanted to do my training over there.
Quote by StewieSwan
I think the term is philanthropist.

No, it would be full-on-rapist.

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
As polite as ever Thrash. I was looking at Canada as well, but I fell for the US last summer. But still plenty of time to go to Canada and fall for that.

Blake, that answered a lot of my question

However, I still dont know how I'd get accredited without any qualifications. Like, if I wanted to do my training over there.

I'm really wishing I could help out, but maybe just phone in a district in the area and ask around. Or go to the website. I just don't know enough about it myself to get you any closer.
Last edited by blake1221 at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I think the term is poor

That's not until after you start teaching.
I hope you know how to use a gun, like hamburgers and don't mind your wife having a retarded name like Shaneese.
Quote by sam b
I hope you know how to use a gun, like hamburgers and don't mind your wife having a retarded name like Shaneese.

Why would anyone mind any of those things
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Vitor_vdp
You do know that the UK is part of the 1st world, right?

Awww, look at the 2nd worlder playing in the big leagues...d'awwww
Quote by Vitor_vdp
You do know that the UK is part of the 1st world, right?

They must have really lowered the bar.
Quote by lushacrous
Why would anyone mind any of those things

Cute American living in denial. I feel for ya, bro
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I know, how pathetic

You're forgiven, as your defection will denounce all 2nd world baggage.

And you'll see a sunny sky for the first time in I don't know how long.

Is it ever not cloudy in the UK?
Like you'd be allowed near a school.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by blake1221
You're forgiven, as your defection will denounce all 2nd world baggage.

And you'll see a sunny sky for the first time in I don't know how long.

Is it ever not cloudy in the UK?

I had this discussion with the kids I taught in the summer. It's genuinely cloudy about 200/250 days a year

Quote by ErikLensherr
Like you'd be allowed near a school.

You took a quote out of context
Last edited by Tanglewoodguit at Dec 7, 2011,
I guess to be a music teacher you'd teach at like MI or something along those lines. It really depends on where you live. In North Carolina you have take a test and class to be a certified teacher (for elementary- high school). Music teachers aren't really in high demand though. American schools put more money into sports. You could get a job teaching pretty much anywhere in any other subject.

edit: If you live in PA area do not live in the lake erie area. It snows like 7 months out of the year.

--------------------------------------------
When in Rome do as the Romans. When in hell take shots at the bar.
Last edited by Djtillz at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by Djtillz
Really every school county/state is different.

9/10 the state or county or city makes you take additional training and testing to be certified.

This. In Indiana, you have to take the Praxis I and II. The first is to make sure you're competent in math and language, II is for whatever specializations you want to teach. And if you get hired with an undergraduate, it's expected of you to get a graduate degree within a certain amount of time to stay hired.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
For secondary school, you need a degree in the subject you will be teaching, plus a separate certification. IIRC, it's like a year long sort of deal, and you usually do like one semester of hands on work in a classroom under the supervision of another teacher.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
For secondary school, you need a degree in the subject you will be teaching, plus a separate certification. IIRC, it's like a year long sort of deal, and you usually do like one semester of hands on work in a classroom under the supervision of another teacher.

Sweet it's similar to the UK then.
Quote by sam b

Shaneese? What the hell are you talking about?
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
You want to teach in the US?

why?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
I had this discussion with the kids I taught in the summer. It's genuinely cloudy about 200/250 days a year

The English year is only 250 days?

OT: Have you considered college, or university, teaching? I don't think most schools even require you to have an education degree to instruct--just a degree in the subject with some years of "field work."

I know personally I'd rather instruct on a college level in a class where my students want to be there, not need to be.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
The English year is only 250 days?

OT: Have you considered college, or university, teaching? I don't think most schools even require you to have an education degree to instruct--just a degree in the subject with some years of "field work."

I know personally I'd rather instruct on a college level in a class where my students want to be there, not need to be.

Really? That seems very under qualified to be teaching at that level, considering that universities over here in the UK require you to be phd level or studying for a phd if they're going to let you teach anything.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
Really? That seems very under qualified to be teaching at that level, considering that universities over here in the UK require you to be phd level or studying for a phd if they're going to let you teach anything.

I should've clarified that a doctorate is needed. Not just "any" degree. Apologies for that. To be an adjunct, you need a master's degree. I also believe, if the field is scientific, you must have a published theory.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~