me and my band are looking to cover a metal song to satisfy our guitarist (who loves metal), however, our bassist is only a beginner and i don't own a Double Bass Pedal. so we're looking for a metal song (something like Disturbed, Pantera or Metallica). something playable live and fairly easy on bass and no Double Pedal. Thanks
Disturbed and Pantera will be difficult, but Metallica is no problem with a single pedal. Songs like Enter Sandman, Sad but True, even Master of Puppets use very little if any double pedal work.

Another example of is Abe from the Deftones, he only uses a single.
You could try the heel-toe technique, but that's not exactly the easiest thing to do. Other than that, I believe some Metallica would be doable.
Quote by Darkness in Zero
Periphery only uses a single pedal

however

I'm pretty sure he uses heel-toe technique, which then makes it equivalent to a double pedal.
and that's freakishly difficult
Where'd you hear that? He uses a Mapex Falcon double pedal and as a matter of fact, slide and not heel-toe.

TS, try something like Pantera - Walk.
Quote by Steve08
Where'd you hear that? He uses a Mapex Falcon double pedal and as a matter of fact, slide and not heel-toe.

I think I thought that mainly due to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8B_vtNChE0
but then I watched the "Light" live drum view video, and now realize my mistake. Sorry!
Quote by Second Rate
Anything by Iron Maiden or pre-Sin After Sin Judas Priest.

I would say anything pre-Ram it Down JP. There are PLENTY (i mean, MANY) JP songs after Sin after Sin that use a single pedal. Besides the obvious fast songs, Screaming's title track, Freewheel, Starbreaker, etc.. Most of it was 1 pedal. Idk ow big of a fan the TS is, but try Breaking the Law, Anothing thing comin, Living after midnight, hell bent for leather, electric eye.. Those seem to be the most well-known (not the best) songs every metalhead knows..
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
Uhhhh Mastodon, and Burzum? Cmon UG, you can do better than metallica.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by rushpython
Uhhhh Mastodon, and Burzum? Cmon UG, you can do better than metallica.
Both those bands use double bass pretty extensively, dunno what you're talking about.
Walk?

EDIT: it does have some parts where there is a double kick but I am sure you could change it slightly.
Last edited by DTCousins at Dec 12, 2011,
Iron Maiden is the only way to go.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Some Slipknot maybe... like Pyschosocial?

And pretty much all Iron Maiden.
No one cares.

metallica-for whom the bell tolls
it is a pretty easy song for every insturment, and i'm 99% sure there is no double kick
Quote by Steve08
Both those bands use double bass pretty extensively, dunno what you're talking about.

I was actually surprised on Mastodon's recent album The Hunter, there isn't much double pedal in the entire album. There's small segments in Black Tongue, but that's about it.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
In hindsight, I imagine a couple of their songs could be played without double pedal as Brann doesn't really use it all that much... I just don't really know where to look as the last time I listened to that band regularly was about three years ago.
I'd like to point out in the original post it was stated that the song had to be easy on bass, I think that rules out almost every Iron Maiden song there is
Don't overlook heel-toe because everyone's saying it's so difficult. All it takes is a little time and patience for finding the motion. The best way I can describe it is "drop and rock". Your heel DOES NOT have to be on the pedal. The need for longboards is a myth. You literally just drop your heel and rock forward to your toe. When you drop your heel, your whole foot (EXCEPT your toes) will be flat on the pedal. From there, you just rock forward and your toes will take care of the second hit. It's best to over-exaggerate these motions when starting out. If you play on a platform (I learned to drum at a church) It will probably shake pretty hard when you start off. That's just how you know you've got it going. :P
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
For those saying Iron Maiden, have you ever listened to Brave New World? :lol:

Anyways, it's crazy but a lot of grindcore bands I've seen live just use a single pedal for their blasting. Try that.
Quote by 3OddOnes
me and my band are looking to cover a metal song to satisfy our guitarist (who loves metal), however, our bassist is only a beginner and i don't own a Double Bass Pedal. so we're looking for a metal song (something like Disturbed, Pantera or Metallica). something playable live and fairly easy on bass and no Double Pedal. Thanks

You're on the right lines with something like disturbed. One of the songs I used to play in my old band was "stricken" which can be done on only a single pedal and as for bass, my friend who decided to join the band as a bass player started out as a complete novice and that is one of the first songs I taught him to play.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jan 21, 2012,
Quote by KjaK
metallica-for whom the bell tolls
it is a pretty easy song for every insturment, and i'm 99% sure there is no double kick

The S&M version certainly does :p