I'm reading Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". In it Levine states that all minor7 chords are ii chords, all dominant 7 chords are V chords, and all major7 chords are I chords.

As I understand, the iii chord is also a minor7 chord. So I'm a bit confused as to how Levine can state that all minor7 chords are the ii chord.

What am I missing here?
Since you mentioned the ii, V and I degrees, maybe it's in the context of a ii - V - I?

I don't have the book, but maybe the page you're reading is focussed on a chapter of ii - V - I progressions?
Last edited by mdc at Dec 7, 2011,
The only thing I can think of is what mdc is saying in a very limited context. If you're talking about a specific type of jazz progression which goes ii V I, ii V I, ii V I etc doing a circle of fifths thing, the quality of the chords pretty commonly would be minor 7th, dominant 7th and major 7th respectably. He could be claiming that specifically. That's not a catch-all statement though.

How about a quote of exactly what he says?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well, it is in fact in the context of a ii V I progression. But Levine doesn't specify that this rule is only applicable when you're dealing with a ii V I progression.

The quote is:

Minor 7th chords are all II chords
Dominant 7th chords are all V chords
Major 7th chords are all I chords

I guess I'm missing the fact that this only applies if we are dealing with a ii V I progression.
That book is heavy CST, works for some, not me. I don't remember exactly what he wrote but I'm pretty sure he's got a point somewhere, maybe a bad choice of words. All minor7 chords are not ii-chords.

If you do like the approach he has to improvising, good for you. What did work for me was relying on context and tonal centers instead of pretty much one scale/every imaginable chord as I got the feeling that his book recommends.
Honestly, all m7 chords are not ii chords.

But you can play over em LIKE they're ii chords - Mark's scale choice is the same on ii, iii and vi chords.

The other thing is that in lots of jazz, almost every m7 chord IS a ii chord.

Personally I can't tell if it's a brilliant simplification or a horrible misrepresentation. That said, guess who sells more books between the two of us?