Hey, I currently have a JB Player acoustic-electric. It's an alright guitar, but you have to wear your fingers out when you try to play notes and chords to make the buzz go away. Also, the sound is only about a 6/10 quality to me. However, it only costed about $160 so what can I expect... I'm looking for an acoustic (can be regular or electric), it needs to be no more than $800. Can anyone give me some suggestions, since I'm not familiar with acoustic brands at all.
I really dislike recommending a brand I have never tried before, but suggest you check out Blueridge, they have an very good reputation, and I was very impressed by some of the online demos I have heard, their tone does remind me of Martins and do fit within your price range. Just as importantly, the resident guitar acoustic expert here, Patticake speaks very well of them, and many people here, including myself, have high regard for her opinions, hopefully she will drop by and offer you a little more detail on what model may best suit your needs, or she may even suggest a different brand.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
martin doesn't own quality - there are lots of good quality guitar brands out there. try eastman, blueridge, the guild GAD series - really great quality - and recording king. i own a blueridge, and it's an amazing sounding and very well built guitar. that being said, i've seen some that had minor finish issues or that didn't sound quite as good as mine. they didn't sound bad, mind you - they're awesome guitars, and you can get an all solid model with an adi top for under your top price http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_solid_body_guitars?cmx=52957&start=0

here's the guild GAD's.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?sB=r&question=GUild+GAD
the ones i've played (and one i owned) were meticulously made, build quality and finish were really good. btw, you can probably discount that negative GAD 40 review. i've never met another person who had these problems. it makes no sense, since the retailer would have exchanged it for him, especially if he bought from guitar center, so i sorta wonder about that one.

i feel that recording kings seem to be built a little heavier, so their tone is different - blueridge is closer to martin. still, i do like many recording kings - although the parlors sound a bit too tight - and they're well built, too. http://elderly.com/brand/20N_recording%20king.html

as far as eastman, they're just beautiful. their guitars have a hint of their own unique voice, and except for their absolute bottom of the line laminate back and side models, are finished with nitro and sound amazing. i've been fortunate to live by a dealer, so i've tried almost every model they make, and i was truly blown away by some - there was a jumbo for under $800 at our local store, and also a grand concert - they really stood out from the crowd for me.

if you're looking at guitar center brands, check the all solid and reasonably priced epiphone masterbilt line - not to be confused with epihphone's regular guitars, which are lam back and sides and i don't care for. alas, chances are you won't run into some of the models in store: http://www.guitarcenter.com/New-Gear.gc?internal=1&src=masterbilt

and yamaha makes all solid guitars that are very well thought of. i haven't been lucky enough to see one in person, though, as gc and our local stores only stock the lam and solid tops.

btw, there are many many cheap laminate guitars in lots of brands that have survived 50 years and more. they don't sound any better than they did new, but they did prove to be very robust.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I generally avoid discussions regarding pricing because of the price differences between Australia and the U.S but I would think that you could find a used Martin for $800.
Quote by mike_oxbig
The "martin quality" comes equally from their sound as from how well they stand up to the test of time.

You can get a great sound for 800$, but i wouldn't expect it to last 50 years.

see if you can find one of these:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502029

I would disagree with you. You can definitely get a quality guitar for $800 that would last you 50 years. It's all about how you treat the guitar and how you take care of it.

Quote by tom183
I generally avoid discussions regarding pricing because of the price differences between Australia and the U.S but I would think that you could find a used Martin for $800.

You most definitely can. 15 or 16 series. 1 series is also possible, but it's a much newer line of guitars and I wouldn't expect as many people would be selling it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
True enough i suppose. I'm only going by what i see on the used market. since i'm only 28 i've never experienced the aging of a guitar first hand. I see lots of old martins, lots of old gibsons, lots of old fenders. I don't see much else that are older than 30 years. At least not in my neck of the woods.
What do you think about Seagull guitars? I tried a couple of them out at Guitar Center today and they sounded pretty good. This black one I tried had a unique sound (almost kinda steel sounding like Kurt Cobain's on the Unplugged album). I also tried a Martin that was about $699 but wasn't too impressed with it.
Quote by mike_oxbig
True enough i suppose. I'm only going by what i see on the used market. since i'm only 28 i've never experienced the aging of a guitar first hand. I see lots of old martins, lots of old gibsons, lots of old fenders. I don't see much else that are older than 30 years. At least not in my neck of the woods.
Arguably, more expensive instruments receive better long term care.

Then there's this, collectible or not, I really wouldn't want to still own a few of my first guitars. Perhaps it's possible they would be still around, if I hadn't put them out of their misery first. A friend's 70's something Martin D-something, was dropped on my doorstep, (a couple of years old), for high action and buzzing. The buzz was from the soundboard braces falling out. Now, poor care, or poor manufacture, who knows, but without a makeup mirror and a jug of Titebond, it wouldn't have made it to 5, let alone 50.

And ya know, who knows where to lay the blame, low humidity, the stoners at the Martin plant, or the stoner that owned it.
the seagull s6 is one of my faves. seagulls are well built guitars, and although the black one is probably from the entourage series, many of the seagulls in their other series have nice wide necks for those of us who prefer them.

Quote by AWPtic
What do you think about Seagull guitars? I tried a couple of them out at Guitar Center today and they sounded pretty good. This black one I tried had a unique sound (almost kinda steel sounding like Kurt Cobain's on the Unplugged album). I also tried a Martin that was about $699 but wasn't too impressed with it.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Just an FYI... you can buy a NEW Martin for $800. Like the OM-1 and D-1. There is the X-series as well. Now, these are lower end Martins (less bling) but they do have that Martin sound and feel.

As for lasting 50 years, that depends less on the guitar and more on you you care for it.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77