Was milling around the music shop today and played around with the Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0301060541 and was shocked at how well it played. I damn near bought it. Of course the CV's have caught some good reviews lately as well.

Is it that Fender is starting to put a little more into their entry level stuff nowadays?
Sort of. It seems like Squier is moving into what used to be MIM territory with a few things. The Affinity/Standard/Bullet lines are still cheap and haven't really changed their quality, but Squier has started to come out with some really respectable instruments in the $3-400 range, which is what MIM strats cost 5 years ago. They're also doing more than just strats and teles now, so that opens up a lot of new options for lower budgets. I think it's great.
Fender has, historically, always been a strong entry level player, especially quality-wise. This dates way back to the 50s, with the Musicman, Duo-Sonic and Mustang, and, while there has been some ups and downs over the years, Fender (and Squier post 1982) have always produced quality beginner stuff.

A lot of Squier's reputation comes from people not knowing how to setup their guitar or expecting a heavy metal machine from one. While there was a late 90s to 2000s lull for Squiers, you could also pick up a new Fender Standard, then, for the price of most Squiers today.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The newest version of the Duo-Sonic is an absolute gem. We've got 2 at work, and I pick them up over a lot of other guitars through the day.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Squiers really aren't as bad as some of the gear snobs on here make them out to be. True, you will get the odd lemon, but they do seem to have stepped up their game in the last few years.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Quote by kangaxxter
Fender has, historically, always been a strong entry level player, especially quality-wise. This dates way back to the 50s, with the Musicman, Duo-Sonic and Mustang, and, while there has been some ups and downs over the years, Fender (and Squier post 1982) have always produced quality beginner stuff.

A lot of Squier's reputation comes from people not knowing how to setup their guitar or expecting a heavy metal machine from one. While there was a late 90s to 2000s lull for Squiers, you could also pick up a new Fender Standard, then, for the price of most Squiers today.

totally agree. squier has made some nice higher end ( for them) guitars before and fender seems to want to cover more of the market. yu just can't expect miracles from the lower end models. they do play well if set up correctly. no the pups and tuners aren't great but they get the job done for a beginner.
I am crazy for that white/cream J Mascis Jazzmaster - for the price and by all reviews it is a beast of a guitar. I can't wait to play one to see for myself.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I own a 2008 Squier Standard Strat and also do my own setups. I've been playing for over 37 years and IMO, the squier is just as good as a MIM Standard. The only difference is, they have 500K pots instead of 250's which makes the pups sound a bit brighter. What I did to recitfy that was to install a USA made, Fender Ceramic Cap on the rear Tone pot and right away the difference in both the tone and sound was noticeable.
I'll tell you the truth, my only experience with Squiers were those pressed wood versions way back when. I think they were only made for a short period of time, but that's immediately what I think of. It's completely unfair, I'm sure. But nevertheless, that's what I think of...

I wonder if this association is what others have in mind when Squiers are brought up?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
I still play my bro's 99$ squire strat on occasion despite access to much better guitars. they're not awful, other than how they come set up. Also the few CV's i've played were very good. The tele's anyway.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by CrazyPigeon
They need to bring back the '51.

agreed.

but yeah, the squier classic vibes are excellent guitars for the money. i want one of those pine teles.. and a duo-sonic just for fun.

the old japanese squiers from the '80s are awesome too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.