Hi,

I have a Music Man John Petrucci guitar and Hughes & Kettner Trilogy amp. The amp seems to be quite versatile if somewhat lacking in the gain department. I got it recently and still couldn’t get it out of the room and go past minimum volume.

Anyway, I’m starting a band and was looking for some effects pedals, a couple of delays, chorus and reverb. I could use stuff like a flanger and a tremolo on a song or two but I can live without those. I would also need a compressor, a tuner and probably an overdrive to use as a boost for leads.

On a very tight budget this is impossible right now so I was thinking about getting a PODxt Live or an M5 from Line 6 and use them just for effects but I’m afraid they’ll ruin my valve amp’s sound.

Help anyone...?
(I’m not an English native speaker so sorry for any mistakes)
joyo or tonerider

two places to look for cheap, but pretty good-sounding effects (and they're often clones, or lightly modified clones of more expensive pedals)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the Zoom G3 is a great multi-effects pedal and competes with the like of line 6 pod hd pedals even though its $200-$300 cheaper. it also has more effects than you'll ever need. otherwise, for singular pedals boss, joyo and tonerider are good starting points. electro harmonix pedals should also be considered.
Thanks for the replies. I’ll certainly check your suggestions.
I had never heard of Joyo and Tonerider before.
Does the Zoom G3 can be used just for effects without the amp emulation? And would it not mess my amp’s sound? –In case you’re wondering the amp has an effects loop.

I’ve tried a few multi effects pedals and hated the amp emulation and the thin, artificial distortions.

Besides a heavier act of original music I’m looking to cover a line up of rock, blues and a few pop songs covers (witch is the worst nuisance when it comes to effects) and need something decent enough to use live.

Can I even do this in a budget around the price of a PODxt live? Or should I just invest on the couple of pedals I need the most and slowly complete my gear as I can (and ruining my band possibilities right now)?
considering you have a good tube amp i'd be looking at single pedals, but that's just me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You have a great guitar and a wonderful amp. Do what you can to get the most pristine effects you can afford. Have you considered a TC Electronic Nova System? It would go into your amps effects loop and has all of the effects you're looking for. TC Electronic is known for their pristine effects and I've seen used Nova Systems at very affordable prices.

Here's a demo with Peter Thorn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkoB0MwRMQo
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by Dave_Mc
considering you have a good tube amp i'd be looking at single pedals, but that's just me.

This. But if you are on a budget and want multieffects:
Line 6 M9
TC nova system

Those are my favourites for relatively cheap
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Melkor84
Thanks for the replies. I’ll certainly check your suggestions.
I had never heard of Joyo and Tonerider before.
Does the Zoom G3 can be used just for effects without the amp emulation? And would it not mess my amp’s sound? –In case you’re wondering the amp has an effects loop.

I’ve tried a few multi effects pedals and hated the amp emulation and the thin, artificial distortions.

Besides a heavier act of original music I’m looking to cover a line up of rock, blues and a few pop songs covers (witch is the worst nuisance when it comes to effects) and need something decent enough to use live.

Can I even do this in a budget around the price of a PODxt live? Or should I just invest on the couple of pedals I need the most and slowly complete my gear as I can (and ruining my band possibilities right now)?

You can use the zoom without using any of the amp sims. I would also take a look at the nova.
He asks about cheap effects and you suggest a G-System??

Joyo if you have don't have much money to spend. There was a scandal over at TGP about somebody trying to pass them off as boutique pedals he made himself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He asks about cheap effects and you suggest a G-System??

Joyo if you have don't have much money to spend. There was a scandal over at TGP about somebody trying to pass them off as boutique pedals he made himself.

Not a G System. A Nova System.

One retails for $1500, the other for $500 (and used for almost half of that if you find the right deal)...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by richardlpalmer
Not a G System. A Nova System.

One retails for $1500, the other for $500 (and used for almost half of that if you find the right deal)...

Oh, ok. Fair enough. I read wrong. Yeah, if you could score one for under $300 that would be a fine way to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 for the nova system if u can scrap enough change out of the sofa

m5 and m9 are really good too

havnt tried the zoom but heard that its pretty solid
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Electro-Harmonix pedals should ALWAYS be considered. For the prices most of them run, they blow everything else in that range out of the water.

Look into the Memory Boy/Memory Toy line of delays. They also have some wild modulation features(chorus, tremolo). Otherwise, look for some sort of Big Muff Pi. They are an awesome, deep, sustained, versitile distortion pedal.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
Electro-Harmonix pedals should ALWAYS be considered. For the prices most of them run, they blow everything else in that range out of the water.

Look into the Memory Boy/Memory Toy line of delays. They also have some wild modulation features(chorus, tremolo). Otherwise, look for some sort of Big Muff Pi. They are an awesome, deep, sustained, versitile distortion pedal.

this. modeled electro harmonix pedals are usually crap because of how hard they are to model but proper ones are great and even quite cheap.
if those are all you really need seems ike it wouldn't be tough to find those pedals cheap. get a clip on snark for a tuner and then see what is availalbe for the other 2 things you need.
Quote by mulefish
This. But if you are on a budget and want multieffects:
Line 6 M9
TC nova system

Those are my favourites for relatively cheap

oh yeah if you can get some of the better multis they might be worth considering

Quote by Cathbard

yeah nutella goop's where teh toanz and mojo are
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by snipelfritz

Agreed. They make good, fun stuff for good prices.

Also check out the Danelectro Cool Cat series, they're all clones of high-end boutique pedals.
Quote by snipelfritz

This.

I have 3 EHX pedals.

An LPB-1. This thing is awesome. I don't know what it is but it boosts your amp so you get your amps overdrive and natural distortion instead of something made within the pedal. But it sounds awesome.

A Memory Toy. Pretty basic delay pedal. I don't use it much but it seems good.

Holy Grail. Such a good reverb pedal. 3 modes. Spring, Hall and Flerb. One knob, easy to use. Great sounding.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

An LPB-1. This thing is awesome. I don't know what it is

it's a basic clean boost
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's a basic clean boost

Ah okay. It's awesome either way. I don't use it as a clean boost. More as an overdrive.
well sure, that's normally what you use a clean boost for
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?