I've been looking at a PRS SE lately and I find the features on the SE 245 more appealing than those of the singlecut (more tone options, more aesthetically pleasing features, and from what I've read a thicker body). The only thing I am apprehensive about is the very short scale (as the name indicates, 24.5"). My current guitar is an Epiphone SG which has their usual 24.75" scale with D'addario 10-52s, and generally drop C isn't a problem. Would going 1/4" shorter require me to increase the string gauge significantly?
String change? I'd suggest a thicker string.
Significant change? No.
For drop C on that I'd say just move up to .11's, and a .54/.56 on the low C. Of course it's all preference though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Thanks Terran, you're helpful as always Would you recommend Ernie Ball Beefy/Not Even Slinky strings? Gauges 11-54 / 12-56 respectively.
Last edited by samjbow at Dec 7, 2011,
In my OP I neglected to mention that I will also use this guitar for E standard. Should I get thinner strings with that in mind, something that's a happy medium between E standard and Drop C?
You'll be fine playing in standard with 11s. It'll be a bit more work, but nothing too extreme. n1ckn1ce... what the hell? there's no way you can set up/intonate your guitar to play right in standard and drop B with the same gauge strings.
I'd agree with terran. Switching over to the 24.5 was a bit weird. You'd probably want 11s on it for any drop tuning. Even with 10s, it's pretty hard not to bend the note when playing something like thunderstruck.

So yeah, 11s for drop tuning and standard. It comes strung with 9s so.........change it pretty quickly. I broke the high e doing an epic bend
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
thanks all can i expect a bit of difficulty adjusting to thicker strings? i've been playing light top/heavy bottom since the first time I ever broke a guitar string xD
Quote by samjbow
thanks all can i expect a bit of difficulty adjusting to thicker strings? i've been playing light top/heavy bottom since the first time I ever broke a guitar string xD

It might hurt your fingertips a bit but the shorter scale length will make up for the harder bends. It'll take some time to adjust but it won't be all that hard.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by samjbow
Thanks Terran, you're helpful as always Would you recommend Ernie Ball Beefy/Not Even Slinky strings? Gauges 11-54 / 12-56 respectively.

No problem man
This thread is one of the very few where people actually call my by my first name, I like it.

But yes, I'd say 12-56 personally, but I just like a bit tighter feel, but yes, I would recommend either of those, 11-54 if you like bendy strings and plan to do a lot of like full step bends, you can still do them easily with the .12's but obviously it will be a bit easier.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Last edited by Tango616 at Dec 7, 2011,
It will change your tone a bit, but I much prefer the tone of thicker strings.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R