Hi, my wife is going to get me a new amp combo for xmas but don't really know what to look for or know what I want...I was looking at the line 6 spider III 75 watt for sale as she don't want to spend more then $350. I don't need something super loud...would like one thats easy to use, and reliable...I don't play that much rock songs but have an electric guitar that I want to get better at using.

Also, I see all these types of pedals and don't really know what they do or if I need them as I'm a kinda new to guitars and especially with all the electric guitar gear. would like to record myself and play it back to hear.

Thanks for the advice.
What sort of music are you playing?

For that money, you could do better than a Spider. I personally don't like them, and neither do many other people on here.

I think something like a Fender Mustang II, which you can hook up to computer for more sounds and use it for direct-in recording. Or a Peavey Vypyr, which is much the same, but better at different things. Also consider the Vox VT, Roland Cube or a used Flextone.

All these amps have built-in effects, so you can learn what each one does. And lots of different amp models, so you can hear what sort of amps you like.
RIP Adam
you may want to look into the Fender Mustang II/III , Peavey Vypyr 30 or Vox VT amps, a little better sounding than the Line 6
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I like to play all types of music but even though I like some rock songs that isn't the type of music i like to play all the time.

So I should be looking at Fender Mustang II I guess since it sounds like that is a good amp.
Yes the fender mustangs are amazing little amps. you can plug it into your computer and further tweak your tones. its pretty amazing
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Quote by ezl_oo
I like to play all types of music but even though I like some rock songs that isn't the type of music i like to play all the time.

So I should be looking at Fender Mustang II I guess since it sounds like that is a good amp.

Can you be little more specific? It's just easier to gauge which amp is best if we know what sort of music you play.

But yes, the Mustangs a pretty damn good, 'speccially the cleans.

You might also want to try the Fender Super Champ XD.

Quote by ezl_oo
what is the difference between the mustang 2 and 3?

The III is 100 watts, the II is 40. The III has more controls on the amp, making hooking it up to the computer less needed, as you can do everything on the amp. The II however, hooking up to the computer makes it a hell of a lot easier. The III also has an FX loop.

Bare in mind though, the III tends to develop a "fizz", which sounds really horrible and Fender have done nothing about it. The II is fine though.
RIP Adam
Last edited by SexyLikeAPig at Dec 7, 2011,
I like to play spanish music called Bachata...with an acoustic/electric guitar...I think I'm going to go with the fender mustang 3 as its in the perfect price range of $300 on amazon with free shipping...thanks for all the help and advice.
sexylikeapig...now you got me confused in a good way...lol I see that the Fender Super Champ XD gets great reviews also and is only $200 like the mustang 2...I want to get an amp that will last me a long time with no problems and won't have to upgrade or buy things to add to it to make it better down the road...that is why I was thinking to just getting the mustang 3?
Quote by ezl_oo
I like to play spanish music called Bachata...with an acoustic/electric guitar...I think I'm going to go with the fender mustang 3 as its in the perfect price range of $300 on amazon with free shipping...thanks for all the help and advice.

If you're using an acoustic electric why not get an amp built for acoustics? Maybe the Acoustic AG30 but I don't really know other brands out there.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by ezl_oo
sexylikeapig...now you got me confused in a good way...lol I see that the Fender Super Champ XD gets great reviews also and is only $200 like the mustang 2...I want to get an amp that will last me a long time with no problems and won't have to upgrade or buy things to add to it to make it better down the road...that is why I was thinking to just getting the mustang 3?

It depends. The Mustang has more effects and amp models, a 12" inch speaker and is 100 watts Transistor.

The Super Champ has several effects and amp models, but not as many as the Mustang, a 10" inch speaker and 15 watts Tube. Another thing to think of is that the Super Champ has an acoustic channel.

Personally, I would go for the Super Champ XD, as it has less bells and whistles, so it's simpler to use. But it still has plenty of choice in sounds, and it has an acoustic channel. It's smaller than the Mustang, so it's more portable.

However, if your think of ever gigging in the future, I would say get the Mustang, as the Super Champ won't have enough headroom for gigging. From what I've read, the Super Champ may not even have enough to get over drums. And you could probably get a decent acoustic setting on the Mustang, using the Twin setting.

If you can, try them both out. Whichever one sounds better to you, you should get. Your the only person you can decide for you.
RIP Adam
Quote by ezl_oo

I think that's am excellent choice. Guitar gear as a gift is always risky, but that's a good solid amp and I'm sure she'll love it.