I have a Gibson SG Standard. I want to get a mirror finish on the guitar without having to paint it. I was thinking of covering the guitar with gaffers tape, then cutting a sheet of perspex out to the shape of my guitar. I would then use a heat gun along the edges to get the curve i need. I would like the full mirror look, but I will do a mosaic too if i have to (like the edge's mosaic lp.) Any suggestions?
not sure how or if the gaffers tape will affect your tone, i'd poke around a bit to see if other people have gone about it like that. if it does maybe try a fully covering coat of a good multi-surface adhesive. i like the sound of the full mirror more than the mosaic. either way i'd love to see a thread of the process.
okay ill look into it. its going to be hard on deciding how i can do this. Here are my ideas for the full face "mirror".
1. Perspex
2. Chrome painted vinyl
3. Mirror Tiles (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010YRXFU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A2LM6ZPY06LT1N)
4. Silver Sheet
5. Aluminum Paper
6. Aluminum Wrap
7. Mosaic

It is annoying because the SG is mostly flat, except for the edges, but that makes things easier than with a lp. Also, i have to make sure the material is not too high. The advantage of a mosaic or the adhesive sheet/tiles is that I can choose where the mirror will be. This means less work, but a worse final product.
I just finished painting an epi les paul. I had it professionally done at a body shop. The guy tried to get me to paint it in mirror chrome, but it was about 3x as expensive as painting it in a more common colour.

People say that repainting your guitar messes up the tone...but I've repainted 3 guitars and have never noticed a difference. If you want it to look like a high quality end result, I would scrap every idea that isn't paint. one bubble and the whole thing is ruined...it's a recipe for disaster.
Heres a thought. Glue (epoxy or something) and broken mirror peices. A good clear filler for the cracks. Done.

Im not big into body customization, but it should work with a bit of prep.
well that is why i wanted to cover it in tape. to prevent the surface of the guitar and the original finish. Acrylic (perspex) can't be bad because that is what they use for mirror finishes on flat top guitars. Its what hugh manson uses for matt bellamy's mirror guitars.
Quote by StateFarmsThere
Heres a thought. Glue (epoxy or something) and broken mirror peices. A good clear filler for the cracks. Done.

Im not big into body customization, but it should work with a bit of prep.

that would actually be pretty awesome looking on a les paul, or other archtop guitar. end up looking like a disco-ball, haha.
I've not much experience with this kinda stuff, but one thing you probably could do is just cut a whole sheet of whatever you're using and put it on as a whole-body pickguard-type deal. You'd have to drill a few holes, but it's easily reversible. Can you get chrome spraypaint? That might work too, if you unfinished it, then refinished it with that and poly. Post pics when you do get it done, I love me some mirrortops. =D
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by asf1187
well that is why i wanted to cover it in tape. to prevent the surface of the guitar and the original finish. Acrylic (perspex) can't be bad because that is what they use for mirror finishes on flat top guitars. Its what hugh manson uses for matt bellamy's mirror guitars.

Oh. You dont want to ruin the finish.

Some people have sewn fabrics over their bodies and added peices from there, maybe a decent option?
Oh. You dont want to ruin the finish.

Some people have sewn fabrics over their bodies and added peices from there, maybe a decent option?

well if you read my initial post, i was thinking of using gaffer's tape which is meant for this kind of project. its like a stronger masking tape. the fabric is a good idea.if i do a shattered glass idea i think i would want to do something like the edge's mirror les paul.
You could probably get some better help in GB&C.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
You could probably get some better help in GB&C.

lol why didn't i think of that?
Quote by mike_oxbig
that would actually be pretty awesome looking on a les paul, or other archtop guitar. end up looking like a disco-ball, haha.

YES.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go get my Les Paul, a hammer, glue and my nearest windowpane.
Quote by Mr. Strat Cat
YES.

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go get my Les Paul, a hammer, glue and my nearest windowpane.

Do it on th back of an Ovation!

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by Mr. Strat Cat
YES.

save yourself a bunch of work and dip the les paul in glue and use it as a hammer
Maybe just make a mirror scratch plate,like Phil Lynott?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Please don't do that to your guitar. NO ONE. will want it after that. And I'm sure it will effect your tone quite a bit.
Look up the Gibson New Century range. They were made in the early-2000s.

'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
i think i might just give up on the idea. im gonna trade in my mim strat for a tele at gc, so maybe ill do something to that since its a flat top.
Quote by moscaespañol
Do it on th back of an Ovation!

Tempting. . . I'll need to borrow an Ovation.