An online petition calling for the government to posthumously pardon Alan Turing and quash his conviction for gross indecency has been launched.

The gay computer pioneer was convicted of the offence in 1952, when homosexual acts were illegal in the UK.

Two years later, he died from cyanide poisoning, which an inquest ruled was suicide.

The e-petition said his treatment and death "remains a shame on the UK government and UK history".

Alan Turing worked as part of the team which cracked the Enigma code at Bletchley Park in World War II and went on to help create the world's first modern computer, the Manchester Small-Scale Experimental Machine.

He also invented a test for artificial intelligence, which is still used in computer science.

In 2009 thousands of people signed a Downing Street petition calling for a posthumous government apology to Turing.

The then prime minister Gordon Brown responded by saying he was sorry for the "appalling" way Turing was treated for being gay.

The new petition said that "Alan Turing was driven to a terrible despair and early death by the nation he'd done so much to save".

"A pardon can go some way to healing this damage. It may act as an apology to many of the other gay men, not as well known as Alan Turing, who were subjected to these laws," it said.

E-petitions allow any UK resident to lobby for a debate on the government website.

If the petition is signed by at least 100,000 people it becomes eligible for discussion in the House of Commons.

BBC

The Petition
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
If I lived in the UK, I would do it. Sadly, it won't let me sign.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by genghisgandhi
He's dead. Who really cares?

This. You're trying to honor a man who died over 50 year ago, a petition should've been written when he died. Plus, I doubt the government, at least the US government doesn't, cares about these e-petitions.
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
This. You're trying to honor a man who died over 50 year ago, a petition should've been written when he died. Plus, I doubt the government, at least the US government doesn't, cares about these e-petitions.

It's simply a gesture affirming the change in British Society. Sometimes that stuff is both important and nice, particularly when the Tories are in power and have, in the recent past, made various homophobic statements. Furthermore it's a direct acknowledgement of past wrongdoing by the present administration.
Also, it's ridiculous that he and everyone else convicted under these laws haven't already been pardoned.

Also, the UK's petition website is far better than the US's, if the petition gets enough signatures it has to be discussed in Commons.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Also, the UK's petition website is far better than the US's, if the petition gets enough signatures it has to be discussed in Commons.

Hey hey hey now...don't be dissin' Murka's Congress. Our petitions get to be ignored, because we have the FREEDOM to ignore them.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's simply a gesture affirming the change in British Society. Sometimes that stuff is both important and nice, particularly when the Tories are in power and have, in the recent past, made various homophobic statements.

Good argument, now I would sign it, but I'm not a British citizen, and I'm underage.

EDIT: Also, has any one seen the hot, new Russian actor turned politician? Her name escapes me, and I don't remember what she does. All I remember is that she's hot.
you're a stone fox
Last edited by Saint78 at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by Ur all $h1t

It doesn't though really...

The drug petitions always seem to go conveniently missing or never gain numbers. I mean, I know stoners can be lazy but i'm pretty sure there are more than 10000 people in the UK who would sign a petition to legalise weed.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
I'm an American so no.
RIP Matt Lauer

Because i'd rather pretend you're dead than acknowledge your existence.
Quote by Steve635z
He's been dead for over 50 years........Why should I care?

Because 50 years ago,you could be arrested for being gay. That's why we had stuff like the Stonewall riots and such.
Signed.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Signed because I'm not a hollow person that doesn't understand that a gesture from the UK government like this would reaffirm some confidence in the integrity of the Government.

Richwood Les Paul RE-135
Ibanez RG350DX
Takamine Dreadnought
Hohner Telecaster Copy
Epiphone Thunderbird-IV Pro
Crafter Cruiser bass
Quote by Saint78

This. It makes no difference, the guy commited suicide , sounds like he had his life made a misery, there's nothing more to be done, nothing will help.
History has more than vindicated the guy, and it hasn't even been that long historically since he was alive. This just seems a bit excessive, it's not like people remember the conviction next to the revolutions he brought the electronics field anymore, or ignore his contributions because he was gay.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54