I got a swamp ash strat copy body cheap, so im building a partscaster. Im getting GFS FatPats for bridge & neck, and a lil killer for the middle.

I'd like to experiment with different tones, and was hoping to be able to coil split, run parallel/series and out of phase on each pickup.

What I was thinking was 3 500k concentric pots so i'd have vol/tone for each individual pickup, then 3 DPDT toggle switches for switching between split, series and phase for each pickup. I dont mind dead spots within the switch combinations. I dont want to do push pots because I want individual vol/tone for each pickup and I dont think they make concentric pots with dpdt switches. I was going to use a 5 way superswitch for pickup selection.

Does anyone have a diagram of how I should wire this up? Ive seen a few for 2 humbuckers, but not 3.
Out of phase is one of my fav mods. Out of phase with three pickups is probably going to be underwhelming. The two that are matching in phase will overpower the other one. It will probably just sound a bit quieter, and the tone change might be subtle. However, you do have one pickup that is significantly different, so it might be better than my pessimistic projections. You dont have to do the phase switch on all three pickups, since if all three are switched you just get back to where you were. Two switches gives you all four possible phase combinations. I suggest wiring it up and trying it before you drill holes. You might find that some settings dont provide enough difference. On the other hand, lots of switches is cool too, even if they dont do anything.

When you say series/parallel, do you mean from one pickup to the next, or within each individual pickup? You're gonna need much more than DPDT's for serial/parallel between three pickups. I think its a 4PDT?
Quote by blaaargh
Do the same thing you would do for the other two on the third.

This was as close as i could find to what i was thinking
http://www.1728.org/guitar9.htm
Since the pickups arent wired up the same, i wasnt sure how the 3rd PU would fit into all of it. I dont know electronics well but im sure with enough caffeine and late nights it'll get solved. I figured I asked just in case someone had a diagram already done up.

Quote by RebuildIt
When you say series/parallel, do you mean from one pickup to the next, or within each individual pickup? You're gonna need much more than DPDT's for serial/parallel between three pickups. I think its a 4PDT?

googling 4PDT switches now.... Thanks!

I was thinking OOP from one pickup to the next, it didnt even occur to me to do OOP from one split coil to another. I dont think ill go down that road, the wiring is over my head as it is. Perhaps when I grasp it all a little better ill add onto it. And yes, switches are cool

I did stumble upon this neat looking thing
http://www.precisionmusictechnologies.com/guitar_max.htm

No idea how much it is or anything, but it looks like it could be really useful if you want to try to get as many tonal variations as possible.