Yeah, so I want to get a fuzz pedal. I plan to be using it along with my amps overdrive to add just a bit of a bit of a grittier, crunchier sound. I'm using a Vox AC15 and a Squire Affinity strat modified with a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge and Dimarzio Liquifire in the neck. For the budget, let's keep it around $80 or so.
Big Muff pi with Tone Wicker. It's better than the standard Big Muff. It gives slight fuzz to a real gritty fuzz. It's a very versatile pedal
Quote by titoskins
Big Muff pi with Tone Wicker. It's better than the standard Big Muff. It gives slight fuzz to a real gritty fuzz. It's a very versatile pedal

correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading something about David Gilmour playing a Big Muff on 'Have a Cigar'
Quote by edubz09
Honestly dude, I always stick with Boss. They make very durable and reliable pedals, and I haven't played one that I don't think lacks quality yet. Check out the Boss FZ-5 fuzz.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=852

hope this helps. I'm a diehard Boss fan but I hope you don't find this post as biased as it comes off to be.

I would not agree with this at all. The boss fuzz pedals are thin and bleh, the completelopposite to how a good fuzz should sound IMO.

I would also disagree on the big muff. I love muffs, got the tone wicker myself actually. But you say you want a slightly grittier, crunchier sound, whereas a muff basically chews up your sound and spits it out the other end. Scooped out mids and high gain isn't really what you're looking for.

You say you want a fuzz, but you say you simply want a slightly gritter, crunchier sound. Fuzz pedals tend to be rounder and woolier rather than gritty. If you are set on a fuzz though, I would look at a fuzz face clone. If you can get a germanium one, this would be better.

Gritty, crunchiness that compliments your amp's own tone = an overdrive or boost pedal. Take a look at what the mxr microamp can do you for your tone. Avoid tubescreamers, they will be too smooth.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Devi Ever Torn's Peaker is close to a "crunchy" fuzz but you might be better off with a decent overdrive.
Quote by PussyPunk182
I would not agree with this at all. The boss fuzz pedals are thin and bleh, the completelopposite to how a good fuzz should sound IMO.

I would also disagree on the big muff. I love muffs, got the tone wicker myself actually. But you say you want a slightly grittier, crunchier sound, whereas a muff basically chews up your sound and spits it out the other end. Scooped out mids and high gain isn't really what you're looking for.

You say you want a fuzz, but you say you simply want a slightly gritter, crunchier sound. Fuzz pedals tend to be rounder and woolier rather than gritty. If you are set on a fuzz though, I would look at a fuzz face clone. If you can get a germanium one, this would be better.

Gritty, crunchiness that compliments your amp's own tone = an overdrive or boost pedal. Take a look at what the mxr microamp can do you for your tone. Avoid tubescreamers, they will be too smooth.
That was actually very helpful. I have an Ibanez tubescreamer and I love the tone, but sometimes I like a bit more crunch. So maybe I should look into some distortion pedals?
You could try a Black Arts Pharaoh. It's sort of in between an overdrive and a fuzz and keeps your guitar and amp tone.
or you could just get the most un-useable pedal ever known to man but also the one with most settings. Fuzz Factory.
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Check out Blackout Effectors Musket or the Zvex Mastotron. THey are pricier, but they can be setup to sound gritty.
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive
the new one comes with a fuzz knob
"I've said that playing the blues is like having to be black twice. Stevie Ray Vaughan missed on both counts, but I never noticed. "
B. B. King

Quote by slash_GNR666
I prefer to play with your mother

But I suppose guitar will have to do
Quote by SupahStrat
or you could just get the most un-useable pedal ever known to man but also the one with most settings. Fuzz Factory.

yeah but it cuts like a beast though.

ts i'd try out a way huge swollen pickle. muff variant that allows you to put the mids back it.
i insist on the FF, it's very versatile

from a cleaned up fuzz, to a smooth fuzz, to gritty, to insanely gritty, to 8-bit and that's just the beginning of it!

I bet you can find a used one, new ones are VERY expensive. (I got the Fuzz Probe which is even more expensive)
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Last edited by SupahStrat at Dec 8, 2011,