With Christmas coming up, and an increase in gigs, I need some helps finding some pedals. I haven't really messed with my sound much and have only used the overdrive on my Marshall Valvestate 100. I'm looking for pedals that will give me a dirty sound like the Black Keys. I'm thinking of getting a boss metal zone mt-2 but I'm also on a bit of a budget... Any suggestions?
I think they generally use fuzzy tones. Look at big muffs and fuzz faces. I'd suggest a big muff w/ tone wicker + a voltage dropper.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Don't get the metalzone.
Black keys use big muffs from what I know.

What is your budget?
RIP Gooze

cats
yes the black keys use old sovtek big muffs generally but a normal muff+wah would do. However I hear the Musket Fuzz's are very good for the black keys. Also, why would you get a pedal build for metal when your looking for a heavy blues sound....
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by theponz
yes the black keys use old sovtek big muffs generally but a normal muff+wah would do. However I hear the Musket Fuzz's are very good for the black keys. Also, why would you get a pedal build for metal when your looking for a heavy blues sound....

i would not use a USA big muff to get the sovtek muff sound.
I'd either go a clone, an older russian muff or a bass muff.
RIP Gooze

cats
Dan Auerbach uses two Russian big muffs. The Earthquaker Devices Hoof sounds amazing for that kind of stuff from what I've seen on Youtube.
EDIT: If you're on a tight budget go for one of the current Big Muff reissues or get a Russian one used (I've seen them sell for ~ $60)
If you want the Russian sound on a USA there's plenty of mods you can do the stock pedal to give it more midrange, etc.
Last edited by Polar13 at Dec 7, 2011,
Just to clarify:
The bass big muff has a very similar sound to the now discontinued russian big muffs.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Polar13
Dan Auerbach uses two Russian big muffs. The Earthquaker Devices Hoof sounds amazing for that kind of stuff from what I've seen on Youtube.
EDIT: If you're on a tight budget go for one of the current Big Muff reissues or get a Russian one used (I've seen them sell for ~ $60)
If you want the Russian sound on a USA there's plenty of mods you can do the stock pedal to give it more midrange, etc.

where've you seen them go for 60 in working condition?craigslist? the local music go round is selling one for 169. it was 200. it's been in there for months now.
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Just to reiterate, definitely don't get the MT-2. That is not fuzz. I'm surprised that nobody made the joke that it's "fizz."
I am a fake mountain.
What you need is a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A