Quote by dannyalcatraz
Waterphones are cool.

BTW, here's the website of the guy who invented the Waterphone. If your serious, expect to pay as much for one as for a quality guitar.

http://www.waterphone.com
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tombe
So is the BAT Pharaoh really as temperamental and choosy about which amp it's running into as everyone says? I kind of want one but not sure whether it will sound right through a Fender Champion 600 and a Vox AD50...

Doesn't seem that way to me. Though the Musket/Blunderbuss is a way better Big Muff derivative.

Quote by T7E
Wooo the more projects the merrier if you have the time. You go you.

Bought the meet maude. This is next level. Easy to dial, sounds like nothing else I've ever heard. So filthy but in a good way. While is was there i played a kilobyte and a minifooger as well. Slayed the shit out of them both imho. The other two are good, like 2 mates have kilobytes and my bandmate has a minifooger but this is just something else. Its like oil cant, has that hollow ring to it.
Got home and ran it before my dr sci cleanness and nothing else and that was another level altogether. Shapes it so much.

in in love and it feels good.

Been wanting to try it myself. I wonder how it compares to the MF-104M.

Quote by TheTransient
Got the El Cap working how I wanted pretty quickly, then spent all night playing with the Space. Some really nice presets in there. Already tweaked a few to my liking too. The basic blackhole setting is pretty much perfect for me to be honest. Still need to figure out how to set the hot switch functions.

It was a big purchase as you can imagine, but I think the Space will pay for itself over time as I won't have to buy multiple verb pedals for different sounds.
Next hurdle is to be happy with my dirt pedals lol

Nice! I like black hole quite a bit, though my go-to presets are hall and spring. I also love Mangledverb and use it quite often. Try some ambient looping with the El Cap after the Space, it will blow your mind.

Super jealous of the Big Green too!

Quote by ppunkrokMr
Brendan, to set the hotswitch, hold it down and move the knobs to the new positions. When you let go, it will be set. If you want to change them, hold it down again, but make sure you are not already in hotswitch mode(red light) when you do. To clear the hotswitch, hold the switch and press the courser knob button. It will say Hotswitchclear. good to go. The hotswitch will be momentary if you hold it down. Really cool for pitch shifting stuff by adjusting the size or for freeze. Any other questions and you can message me on facebook. John will surely have some wisdom on its workings as well. Congrats on the NPD. I want to try the meet maude

Pretty much covers it. The hotswitch is one of my favorite features of the space, and I use it all the time. It's particularly nice for on-the-fly 100% wet sounds. My main Hall preset (named "Cathedral") has the hotswitch set to 100% mix with a reduction in bass so it doesn't get overwhelming.

So guys, my new V4 is up and running! Turns out it just needed a ****ton of contact cleaner. Really did wonders.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
So guys, my new V4 is up and running! Turns out it just needed a ****ton of contact cleaner. Really did wonders.

That's awesome man, congrats! Sounds like a cheap and easy fix.
Maude is darker than the MF-104m, even with the tone on full, modulation is comparable in awesomeness but so different. Maudes is always random, no rate or depth or anything, which makes for awesome vibrato with high mix and short delay times. Super weird, un predictable and warbly.
also it hates my strat, but its the greatest sound I've ever had with my les Paul. Its the lack of input signal i think so a boost before night help but i haven't tried it with my full board yet.
Quote by stradivari310

Pretty much covers it. The hotswitch is one of my favorite features of the space, and I use it all the time. It's particularly nice for on-the-fly 100% wet sounds. My main Hall preset (named "Cathedral") has the hotswitch set to 100% mix with a reduction in bass so it doesn't get overwhelming.

I didn't think of doing a bass reduction! The Hall mode sounds great, and it is perfect for the 100%mix stuff with a tiny bit of modulation on it. I find that I mostly use the modechoverb. Being that I only have one delay on my board, it gets used a good bit to help cover that ground. I rediscovered a patch I made a while back with it last night. It was the exact sound I was going for. Ill use the hotswitch to make it a little less intense so I can use it for more songs.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

for music without words I help make: Listen Earth
Quote by T7E
Maude is darker than the MF-104m, even with the tone on full, modulation is comparable in awesomeness but so different. Maudes is always random, no rate or depth or anything, which makes for awesome vibrato with high mix and short delay times. Super weird, un predictable and warbly.
also it hates my strat, but its the greatest sound I've ever had with my les Paul. Its the lack of input signal i think so a boost before night help but i haven't tried it with my full board yet.

Sounds pretty cool, but the MF-104M is already plenty dark. And if it doesn't like single coils I probably won't be able to get a good sound out of it.

Quote by ppunkrokMr
I didn't think of doing a bass reduction! The Hall mode sounds great, and it is perfect for the 100%mix stuff with a tiny bit of modulation on it. I find that I mostly use the modechoverb. Being that I only have one delay on my board, it gets used a good bit to help cover that ground. I rediscovered a patch I made a while back with it last night. It was the exact sound I was going for. Ill use the hotswitch to make it a little less intense so I can use it for more songs.

Bass reduction is pretty crucial. Deep low end from a big reverb really sucks away clean headroom and doesn't work well in a mix. Modechoverb is so great though. I love the modulation options.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

For anyone interested, I got some of my reverbs together last night and had a little play around. I compared:

Neunaber Stereo WET
Eventide Space
Red Panda Context

I also have an RV3 and a TC HOF mini, but I didnt compare those. The RV3 is cool to have around, but it wont be something I have on my board (when I actually settle on anything haha), and the HOF mini is mainly used for light verb on my bass in STHH.

I tried to compare similar sounds, as obviously the Space can pretty much do whatever, but after having it sit on a shelf for a few months ready to sell it, I was pretty much instantly in love with the Context again. Every mode on that thing is super usable, and it sounds so natural and luscious. As nice as it is, the WET was actually the worst of them. I am kinda starting to worry all the complicated (for me haha) options on the Space and the fact it uses presets might be what puts me off of it, but we shall see... Still having trouble with this damn hotswitch and the instructions arent helping! UGH lol

On the other side of things, I am really liking the El Cap this time around! The multi-head in mode 2 as does what i used to do a lot with two delay pedals bouncing off each other, but its only one pedal and its super easy to dial in! The El Cap is definitely staying around this time
Brendan mate if you cant gell with the hotswitch then don't worry. Just use the pedal as pedal.

Nothing is complicated if you spend enough time with it.
It just takes a lot of messing around to get it right. Just put it on a table and play around for a couple hours.

So guys, I just ordered all the parts to build a prototype of my first overdrive circuit. Really stoked.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I might have to sell my les paul this week ****.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
I might have to sell my les paul this week ****.

Noooooooooo
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by stradivari310
It just takes a lot of messing around to get it right. Just put it on a table and play around for a couple hours.

So guys, I just ordered all the parts to build a prototype of my first overdrive circuit. Really stoked.

Is this the selectable mid freq one?
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'll see what its worth on the market this week. similar ones to mine sell for 3k and mines in way better shape. if i have to sell it im buying annother guitar to make it feel more like a trade. maybe a fat strat or faded sg i know its a downgrade and a half but ill have a large chunk of cash in my pockets.

edit
if i got a second v50h a cab, boomerang, faded sg and like a grand in cash to pay for crap i needed id be happy... mainly because the v50h kicks ass such a great pedal platform.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Feb 4, 2015,
Quote by stradivari310

Bass reduction is pretty crucial. Deep low end from a big reverb really sucks away clean headroom and doesn't work well in a mix. Modechoverb is so great though. I love the modulation options.

Fact. The way I have been using my Space since i got it is I make a patch for each song and then I switch at the end of the song. Having the Hotswitch has allowed me 2 reverb sounds for every song. It has worked pretty well. I do want to try using some sounds a little more that others. I have a setting for the Mangledverb that I use for our song Toronto and it sounds amazing, especially with my hollowbody.

Quote by stradivari310

If you build a second one, Ill pay for shipping to test it if you want. Ill buy it if I love it or I can ship it back to you. I need a second overdrive and i'd love to own something you built if it doesn't suck
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

Quote by T7E
What kind of vibe os your circuit man?

It's basically a clipping amp (started with a Dist+ and changed a lot of parts/values) feeding a James/Baxandall and then a gyrator with selectable mid frequencies. So it's V4-inspired.

Quote by ibanezguitars44
Is this the selectable mid freq one?

Yessir!

Quote by ppunkrokMr
Fact. The way I have been using my Space since i got it is I make a patch for each song and then I switch at the end of the song. Having the Hotswitch has allowed me 2 reverb sounds for every song. It has worked pretty well. I do want to try using some sounds a little more that others. I have a setting for the Mangledverb that I use for our song Toronto and it sounds amazing, especially with my hollowbody.

If you build a second one, Ill pay for shipping to test it if you want. Ill buy it if I love it or I can ship it back to you. I need a second overdrive and i'd love to own something you built if it doesn't suck

Oh nice! I go back and forth between 3-4 main presets and use several others in the studio. You had some really killer reverb tones on that EP though, so maybe song-specific stuff might work well for me. 99 Presets is a huge number.

So I'm glad you mention wanting to test the pedal! I'm planning to do a tourbox in a month or two. This first prototype is to determine if I actually like the design, cause at the end of the day I'm making pedals for myself and I trust my ears. After that I intend to test it through various rigs and let bands/studios test it out. I'll probably gradually modify it throughout the testing process. Once that's done, I'm going to do a tourbox with a version that incorporates all the changes I've made in order to get any additional feedback. Assuming most people like it, at that point I'll launch preorders. I want to do something special for the first ten, like etched enclosures/limited colors.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Dude please send it our way!

Friends making pedals is exciting haha

So right now I have my wet rigged to do 100% wet. The downside is NO dry signal comes through. So I hooked it up all crazy with my aby pedal so I can have dry signal, completely wet reverb signal, or a mix of both. I really really like the fully wet sound, so I think I'm going to sell the wet and get the new v2 that can do 100% wet haha

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44

So right now I have my wet rigged to do 100% wet. The downside is NO dry signal comes through. So I hooked it up all crazy with my aby pedal so I can have dry signal, completely wet reverb signal, or a mix of both. I really really like the fully wet sound, so I think I'm going to sell the wet and get the new v2 that can do 100% wet haha

i feel you need like a loop with a blend knob or something ya feel?

and john, v4 in a box is panty dropping shit. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

edit: my love for this product does hinge on the condition of top mounted jacks though....
Last edited by T7E at Feb 4, 2015,
Quote by ibanezguitars44

I'm going to do a signup thing for the tourbox soon. You guys will be the first to know!

Also 100% is my jam. Get the V2 for sure.

Quote by T7E
i feel you need like a loop with a blend knob or something ya feel?

and john, v4 in a box is panty dropping shit. Cant wait to see how it turns out.

edit: my love for this product does hinge on the condition of top mounted jacks though....

Top-mounted jacks are mandatory, of course.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

If I can find a jo before you start selling them, I want one of the first ones. Being jobless and watching my money slowly fade away is not fun haha. I'm sure I'll find something soon, though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Finding a job that pays instant cash harder I need the money this week
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
Quote by ibanezguitars44
If I can find a jo before you start selling them, I want one of the first ones. Being jobless and watching my money slowly fade away is not fun haha. I'm sure I'll find something soon, though.

It's a couple months yet! I have a lot of things to sort out first. I'm also trying to keep the price reasonable. Like $150 worst case scenario. I'm doing this to fund more pedal and amp designs, not support myself. I just need to pay for parts and some labor along with the various costs that will be associated with workbench improvements, graphic design, recording demos, and possibly web hosting.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
It's a couple months yet! I have a lot of things to sort out first. I'm also trying to keep the price reasonable. Like $150 worst case scenario. I'm doing this to fund more pedal and amp designs, not support myself. I just need to pay for parts and some labor along with the various costs that will be associated with workbench improvements, graphic design, recording demos, and possibly web hosting.

Herd that. I am willing to pay 150 for a V4 preamp to run into my V4. I love the gain tone and the character it has, I just need to run the amp cleaner most of the time to make that a realistic option. The next best thing would be an SFT, which I like the idea of, but you are onto something. On a side note...I really need to make time to record and make pedal demos.

Quote by JustRooster
Cloven Hoof, Fuzzolo, or something else entirely?

Hoof or Tall font russian
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by stradivari310

happy to help with any of this if you need it.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23

Fishing?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by ibanezguitars44

I was watching a demo of their shimmer pedal the other day and I got about halfway through before I realised I absolutely hate shimmer as an effect. The reverb itself sounded pretty heavenly though.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Same here. The good thing is that you get a shimmer knob so you can bring in juuuuust a little which can sound very pleasant. I actually leave mine on the shimmer setting with the shimmer knob all the way down or very low. The reason is because for some reason he made the decay of the shimmer mode way more intense. I can make the trail last for over 2 minutes haha. It''s cool for ambience because it lasts basically forever, but still goes away after a while allowing the soundscape to shift over time.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by greeny23

Thanks man, I'm probably going to hit you up soon with some questions.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I just realised I haven't had any real desire to purchase a new amp lately
I know as soon as I manage to sell some, that shit is gonna come back in full force like it always does, and my GAS for everything else is ****ed though

I am so close to having this double cut tele playable. I am literally waiting on a neck plate. It's ****ing killing me! I ever so slightly mucked up cutting the first pickguard I got for it, so I have ordered another one from the same seller. Was annoyed at myself for a bit, but thats not a huge deal. I can assemble/play it without the pickguard, but not without a neck plate...

The body for my next build (the Telemaster) has turned up at my parents place, so I am keen to get his dual cut tele done so I can move on to that one.
Last edited by TheTransient at Feb 6, 2015,
So ben frost was running a tele through two SVTs with 810s last night.
probably the best thing i have ever seen.
We(listen, earth) did a phone interview for a local entertainment magazine the other night. It was strange as those usually are. We did a little photo shoot last night for some images for the article.

We also got to play with our new drummer for the first time. It was awesome. Our sound is going to change a little bit, but I think it will be for the better. He is a killer dummer and also good at bass and guitar. He is really into ambient/post rock stuff as well as jazz. Good feel and great dynamics. Be on the lookout for something cool from Listen, Earth in the nearish future.

P.S. Yes, I know we just released the EP, but cool stuff can keep happening, right???
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by TheTransient
I just realised I haven't had any real desire to purchase a new amp lately
I know as soon as I manage to sell some, that shit is gonna come back in full force like it always does, and my GAS for everything else is ****ed though

I am so close to having this double cut tele playable. I am literally waiting on a neck plate. It's ****ing killing me! I ever so slightly mucked up cutting the first pickguard I got for it, so I have ordered another one from the same seller. Was annoyed at myself for a bit, but thats not a huge deal. I can assemble/play it without the pickguard, but not without a neck plate...

The body for my next build (the Telemaster) has turned up at my parents place, so I am keen to get his dual cut tele done so I can move on to that one.

Not needing a new amp rules! You should try building one though

Also I saw a picture of the doublecut tele. Looks so sick. I can't wait to see the telemaster in action. I really want one eventually.

Quote by T7E
So ben frost was running a tele through two SVTs with 810s last night.
probably the best thing i have ever seen.

whoa. any idea what pedals he was using? was he using a guitar to play stuff on Aurora?

Quote by ppunkrokMr
We(listen, earth) did a phone interview for a local entertainment magazine the other night. It was strange as those usually are. We did a little photo shoot last night for some images for the article.

We also got to play with our new drummer for the first time. It was awesome. Our sound is going to change a little bit, but I think it will be for the better. He is a killer dummer and also good at bass and guitar. He is really into ambient/post rock stuff as well as jazz. Good feel and great dynamics. Be on the lookout for something cool from Listen, Earth in the nearish future.

P.S. Yes, I know we just released the EP, but cool stuff can keep happening, right???

Dude, I can't tell you how relieved I am that you're carrying on with a new drummer. It would have been incredibly sad if the new EP was your last.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Dawwww John. Hahaha

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
John, the Telemaster is what I really want to build. The DC tele was more of a testing/learning thing to make sure I didn't **** up the telemaster haha, but yeah, the DC tele is shaping up to be a nice guitar too which is cool

Maybe when the exchange rate is better I might look at the Weber 6S100 (the only way I'll ever get to play any Sunn-style tube amp) or maybe build a Super Bass clone. In the meantime I have got these guitar builds to go on with.

West, yeah it's awesome that you guys are able to keep going with a new drummer. Keen to hear more after that EP. All four songs were good, but man, I had Melbourne on loop for ****in days hahaha
Quote by TheTransient

West, yeah it's awesome that you guys are able to keep going with a new drummer. Keen to hear more after that EP. All four songs were good, but man, I had Melbourne on loop for ****in days hahaha

Yeah but you're biased :p

We actually just revisited one of the songs from our demo, Houston, and pushed it in a super ambient direction. I'm expecting us to explore that sort of sound some more soon. After seeing A Film In Color live, it's hard NOT to pull a little influence from them haha

Edit: I should also add that Bohren and Der Club of Gore and Braveyoung have been influences lately. So that'll probably lend itself to some changes. Still want to be intentional about keeping a good balance of different textures though. I think thats where we excel

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by ibanezguitars44 at Feb 7, 2015,
Quote by stradivari310

whoa. any idea what pedals he was using? was he using a guitar to play stuff on Aurora?

Yeah he was using it for Aurora stuff. Most of the time it was just swathes of distorted feedback which he would then loop and mix in and out of the whole set up.
From where I was I could see a volume pedal for swelling, a mute switch for whenever he through his guitar on the floor and a looper of some description.
I'm pretty sure he was running it through one of his computers for everything and then just into what i mentioned above as there was all kinds of whacky adsr shit going on with it and just huge industrial distortions and stuff but yeah, just massive.