SO, the Hiwatt guy called begging to trade back. As much as he loved the tone of the Bassman, it just wasnt loud enough for him. I was hesitant to give an answer, so I said I would let him borrow in the meantime since he has a show tonight, but I am gonna let him have it back. Kinda felt bad for him since I have been in the same position a couple times where i really regretted trading an amp away (when i traded away the Sovtek, my SF Bassman and also the JMP2204 I had for a bit). It sucks so much ass...

I am getting my blackface bassman and a mastery offset bridge back, and then he is giving me cash for the tele and the context reverb, both of which he wants to keep.

Yeah, its cool it was a Hiwatt or whatever, but I wasn't really attached to it in any way. I have my Super Bass and my V4 which both have great big clean tones, so I am not missing anything tonally by not having the Hiwatt. I am no longer attached to the blackface bassman, so that is gonna go straight up for sale or trade. Maybe if I'm lucky some one will trade an old Marshall for it or something, otherwise $$$ and one less amp in the house.

Easy come, easy go!

I have a few packages (probably some of those pedals I ordered!) waiting for me at my parents house, so that should ease the pain haha
Last edited by TheTransient at Apr 22, 2015,
Quote by TheTransient
SO, the Hiwatt guy called begging to trade back. As much as he loved the tone of the Bassman, it just wasnt loud enough for him. I was hesitant to give an answer, so I said I would let him borrow in the meantime since he has a show tonight, but I am gonna let him have it back. Kinda felt bad for him since I have been in the same position a couple times where i really regretted trading an amp away (when i traded away the Sovtek, my SF Bassman and also the JMP2204 I had for a bit). It sucks so much ass...

I am getting my blackface bassman and a mastery offset bridge back, and then he is giving me cash for the tele and the context reverb, both of which he wants to keep.

Yeah, its cool it was a Hiwatt or whatever, but I wasn't really attached to it in any way. I have my Super Bass and my V4 which both have great big clean tones, so I am not missing anything tonally by not having the Hiwatt. I am no longer attached to the blackface bassman, so that is gonna go straight up for sale or trade. Maybe if I'm lucky some one will trade an old Marshall for it or something, otherwise $$$ and one less amp in the house.

Easy come, easy go!

I have a few packages (probably some of those pedals I ordered!) waiting for me at my parents house, so that should ease the pain haha

soft. there is no mercy in gear.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
soft. there is no mercy in gear.

yeah it was a bit soft... but i dunno. I guess we have traded stuff back and forward a few times now, and we will more than likely trade stuff again

Also he was the guy I initally traded the SF Bassman to, and then was cool about trading it back to me. Although in that case I just said that if he ever wanted to get rid of it, give me first crack at it. But he did, so I kinda owed him the courtesy in a way.

EDIT: Also he is friends with one of the guys in Canidae and he filled my place for a bit playing guitar after i quit. I didn't bear him any hard feelings on this as he is a nice enough guy. When he came to swap for the Hiwatt he said he isn't really doing anything for them anymore and was bitching about how they couldn't play their instruments and how embarassing it was when he last played live with them. He said he wanted to walk off stage it was so bad.

That tickled me in some very nice ways I must say

They way figure it, I don't have ex-girlfriend stories, so all I have to bitch about are ex-band stories
Last edited by TheTransient at Apr 23, 2015,
Brendan I tuned to FACGCE and I'm having so much fun haha. I wish we could start a band together ))))))))):
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Brendan I tuned to FACGCE and I'm having so much fun haha. I wish we could start a band together ))))))))):

YES! Its pretty good for mucking around in, but I gotta give it some more time to get the hang of it better.

You might have seen on IG that I went back to a single coil bridge pickup in my Tele too. I mean I didn't do that specifically to get the mathy sound, but it will certainly help get cleaner/brighter tele tones for it if needed.

I only got to play the Tele with the 51 CS Nocasters for a few minutes at low volumes, as it was pretty late once I got done with the swap last night. They sounded pretty good, but its hard to tell. I am sure they are good, just gotta give them some more time tonight and maybe dial in the pickups heights a bit better if I need to. They are going to be staying in there in any case. As usual, I have said that before though . Figured you might be interested to know since you mainly play a tele too

New strings will help too when they arrive, as the ones on there are a bit old. Also gotta give using a capo a proper go!
I love single coils. After playing my strat almost exclusively with my band get suprised when I play my Les Paul. Stsrting with less and then building on it totally works better for me as a primarily cleanish platform user
I have a friend that makes pickups sometimes. He said he'd make some for my tele if I bought the parts. I'm thinking of taking him up on the offer

Let me know what you think of the new pickups Brendan. I love the bridge single coil. I really like twangy high gain tones haha
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Anybody looking for a musket. I have my hands on two and need to sell one.

Musket?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have the first gig with the drum-machine-assisted outfit tonight. Already my setlist is scrawled with unusual notes - 'Pattern 2, 160bpm'. The entire set contains a total of 5 chords. Three of the songs have one chord each and all knock on the door of 8 minutes. I find myself worrying more about what to wear and whether to have a burger or fish and chips for dinner...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Pointiest.
Nipples.
EVAR.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Got my blackface Bassman back. I played it a bit last night to make sure the guy didn't jack it up, and it was sounding pretty good. I think it likes these Nocaster pickups a lot more than it liked the DiMarzios.

The pickups are pretty great. Took me a little to adjust to the brightness of single coil bridge, but I definitely prefer it this way tonally.
I traded my Tele for a Epiphone Valve Jr. head and 2 110 cabs that have 50s jensens. aparently the speakers are movie theater speakers. They sound great whatever they are, especially with the Valve Jr. I plugged it into my bandmaster cab with a WGS Liberator and Veteran 30 speakers. It sounds huge for a 5 watt head on that cab. Big, yet dynamic and responsive. I checked the back, it has a Telefunken el84 inside. Overall, I am quite happy with the deal. I also ordered a new delay yesterday. Yay for new gear.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

for music without words I help make: Listen Earth
School is killing me. But the first Tiny Fractures show was this past weekend and we killed it! And the last Native Wildlife show is on Sunday. Soon I'll be able to relax and build some pedals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
So, the gig on Saturday night... The main thing I learned is that I seem to have become some sort of post-punk folklorist. When we got to the venue and there was a dog running around that didn't seem to belong to any one person, I pointed out that the Butthole Surfers had travelled with a dog, a female pit bull called Mark Farner Of Grand Funk Railroad. When the soundman didn't like the idea of us running the drum machine really loud through a bass amp so we could hear it properly I recalled how Steve Albini always encountered similar problems in the early days of Big Black. God, I'm boring.

I won't go into how badly we were treated by the venue and the various bits of gear that either got damaged or 'went missing' through no fault of our own because I've done enough venting about that the last couple of days. Apart from the 40 minutes we were playing the night was an unmitigated disaster, but while we were on stage the drum machine pounded incessantly, self-oscillating fuzzes squealed and growled, grooves graduated from repetitive to trance-like, bleak lyrics of big-city anomie echoed around the room and the invisible barrier between stage and crowd was smashed down. A large portion of the modest crowd watching us came up to tell us how much they enjoyed our set and how they'd never heard anything like it (they clearly haven't listened to as much Joy Division, Wire and Swans as we have). I think we're off to a good start.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
It is a Seymour Duncan Deja Vu delay. It has both digital and analog delay in one with a blend between the two. It also has subdivisions and modulation on the analog. The big reason I bought it is because it has a feedback loop. I want a delay that has destroyed trails so I will purchase a bit crusher in the semi near future to make that happen. I may also get a few other effects to put in the loop. Maybe an instant lofi junkie or a microsynth of some sort. Anyone want to buy my Cusack Tap-a-delay?
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

yo man are you diggin that Deja Vu?

My DL4 is half broken and I borrowed a friend's Deja Vu to see if I wanted to buy it. I thought it was an awful delay pedal. I mean, it sounded good, but it wasn't practical in my opinion. I have a much easier time crafting weird tones (and controlling them) with my DL4
I thought the loop function was also terrible

And the feedback thing was cool, yeah, but it just didn't track well and was far too touchy for my liking.

Have you been able to tame the Deja Vu?
I dont have it yet sunshine. It should be in in a few days. The lo rez mode on the DL4 has been the delay sound I have been chasing since I got rid of my M9. I dont really want a DL4 because of switches and it being massive in size. I don't need super strange sounds out of the Deja Vu, but with pedals in the loop, I should be able to achieve them. I dont plan onusing the looper, and the other features seem fairly solid. I will also experiment with using my DAW in the loop to simulate the bit crusher and maybe a few other things. Ill keep you all updated once it comes in, maybe a demo.
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by Tombe

drum machine pounded incessantly, self-oscillating fuzzes squealed and growled, grooves graduated from repetitive to trance-like, bleak lyrics of big-city anomie echoed around the room and the invisible barrier between stage and crowd was smashed down.

I may be your biggest fan already.

any videos?
One photo seems to be the only visual record of the gig. And it was obviously at a peak moment because my entire head is a blur...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Tombe
So, the gig on Saturday night... The main thing I learned is that I seem to have become some sort of post-punk folklorist. When we got to the venue and there was a dog running around that didn't seem to belong to any one person, I pointed out that the Butthole Surfers had travelled with a dog, a female pit bull called Mark Farner Of Grand Funk Railroad. When the soundman didn't like the idea of us running the drum machine really loud through a bass amp so we could hear it properly I recalled how Steve Albini always encountered similar problems in the early days of Big Black. God, I'm boring.

I won't go into how badly we were treated by the venue and the various bits of gear that either got damaged or 'went missing' through no fault of our own because I've done enough venting about that the last couple of days. Apart from the 40 minutes we were playing the night was an unmitigated disaster, but while we were on stage the drum machine pounded incessantly, self-oscillating fuzzes squealed and growled, grooves graduated from repetitive to trance-like, bleak lyrics of big-city anomie echoed around the room and the invisible barrier between stage and crowd was smashed down. A large portion of the modest crowd watching us came up to tell us how much they enjoyed our set and how they'd never heard anything like it (they clearly haven't listened to as much Joy Division, Wire and Swans as we have). I think we're off to a good start.

Dude you need to hit a studio asap! I'm trying to hear this!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

We're planning on recording a double A-side single in the coming weeks and just releasing it ourselves, the advantage of not having a drummer means we don't have to mess around getting a good drum sound, don't have to worry about spill when recording and can basically do the whole thing with my recording setup in our rehearsal room in a couple of hours...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Tombe
We're planning on recording a double A-side single in the coming weeks and just releasing it ourselves, the advantage of not having a drummer means we don't have to mess around getting a good drum sound, don't have to worry about spill when recording and can basically do the whole thing with my recording setup in our rehearsal room in a couple of hours...

Thats convienient. I want to hear it. I am always looking for new music to show my students to make them uncomfortable.
Quote by Fryderyczek

I really look forward to hearing that, man.

Tour is winding down this week; gigs tomorrow through Friday and then I can rest for a few. My power source fried my pedals on day two, so I've been running with a power boost that is now working as a fuzz. :-p So that's been fun. Need to start rebuilding my rig after I get home.

Also started putting together ideas for a more acoustic/ambient side thing; there's an itch that's not quite getting scratched by Thirty Silver, I have to decide if it's better to roll it all together or if it'll be best to have that separate avenue.
Wait your power supply fried the pedals? How?

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Honestly I'm not even sure; best I can figure my power strip started to go and I must have caught a power surge at the club we played in Baltimore last week, but all I know is a bunch of stuff on my board is fried. like I said, LPB is now fuzzy, my delay and OD died, and the one spot I was using was nonfunctional(I finslished the night direct to my amp); bad scene. I'm just glad my amp wasn't plug into the same power strip.
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
Honestly I'm not even sure; best I can figure my power strip started to go and I must have caught a power surge at the club we played in Baltimore last week, but all I know is a bunch of stuff on my board is fried. like I said, LPB is now fuzzy, my delay and OD died, and the one spot I was using was nonfunctional(I finslished the night direct to my amp); bad scene. I'm just glad my amp wasn't plug into the same power strip.

If you need a delay, Ill sell you my Headrush really cheap to fill the void.
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by ppunkrokMr
If you need a delay, Ill sell you my Headrush really cheap to fill the void.

Thanks man; I appreciate it. I'm gonna wait until I'm home from tour and we evaluate how much it all cost, and whether we owe money on it, before I start figuring out what my budget is for new gear. I will definitely hit you up once I'm back in Boston though.
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
Thanks man; I appreciate it. I'm gonna wait until I'm home from tour and we evaluate how much it all cost, and whether we owe money on it, before I start figuring out what my budget is for new gear. I will definitely hit you up once I'm back in Boston though.

Cool cool. Best of wishes on that front. Having gear break always sucks. I hope everything comes out fine.

On a different note, my first semester of teaching is almost over. I am used to getting out the first week of May in college so this end of May thing is going to drive me crazy. High School students tend to live with reckless abandon this close to the end of school. We have 3 and a half weeks left total, all of next week will be testing and then a week of review and then finals. It cant come soon enough. How is everyone coming with school and such?
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by ppunkrokMr
Cool cool. Best of wishes on that front. Having gear break always sucks. I hope everything comes out fine.

Thanks dude! We are soldiering through; only three more days left. I get home Friday and after our Boston show I am just gonna relax and start planning. Got a couple interesting offers while we were out and need to start figuring 2016 already or at laying plans. I'm thankful my drummer and I get along damn well in a confined space for long periods of time.
Last edited by UnbrokenGlass at Apr 29, 2015,
Quote by ppunkrokMr
On a different note, my first semester of teaching is almost over. I am used to getting out the first week of May in college so this end of May thing is going to drive me crazy. High School students tend to live with reckless abandon this close to the end of school. We have 3 and a half weeks left total, all of next week will be testing and then a week of review and then finals. It cant come soon enough. How is everyone coming with school and such?

Glad to hear it dude, I'm definitely ready for this semester to be over. I have a presentation tomorrow, two papers due next Monday, and an oral exam next Tuesday. On top of that the final Native Wildlife show is on Sunday. I'm going to die.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Just played a set with STHH, we played kinda shitty, but now I am getting a burger and a chocolate shake from a nice burger place just down the road from the venue. I'd call it a win.

After this, I am gonna load out after the second band plays, take my cough home to bed, hopefully get some sleep, then go to work in the morning. That's not so much of a win...

EDIT: the burger was kinda crap. Boo.
Last edited by TheTransient at Apr 30, 2015,
(Invalid img)

I Got the Deja Vu. I got home late so I coudnt play much. I like it so far. More in depth review tonight.
Quote by Fryderyczek

Last edited by ppunkrokMr at Apr 30, 2015,