I didn't watch the entire video, but what I did sounded really cool. I'd love to have a band like that in town to play shows with!
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Brendan, that stuff is tight for sure!
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

for music without words I help make: Listen Earth
Quote by ppunkrokMr
I want to build an LPB1 into a SHO. How hard?

Not hard at all! Just look up the layouts on tagboardfx, refer to a wiring diagram for two pedals in one box, and go nuts Message me if you want tips on sourcing parts and whatnot.

Quote by TheTransient
Here is a decent clip of part of the set my band played last week: http://youtu.be/UD2Le9tTCXw

Yo, this is sick.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I need someone to tell me whether this is a good idea or not. I have my Squier Tele tuned to CGCGCD and starting to get more into really fuzzy, downtuned playing (possibly due to listening to Sunn too much) Obviously a Tele isn't really the guitar for this but I'm wondering if it could be made so? Basically what I'm after is more low-end and sustain, so obviously it needs to have higher output. In the neck at the moment is an AxeTec pickup of some sort which seems to be yer fairly average Tele neck pickup. I'm wondering if dropping a Hot Rails in the neck or something would actually make that much difference?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Telecaster are the actually the best guitar for everything haha

SD Hot Rails suck ass, don't get those. The DiMarzio rail equivalents are nicer sounding in my experience (which was limited to the bridge pickup, but I really didn't like the SD). If you do, get one of the lower output versions or you'll destroy your clean tone. Might be worth a look at they GFS rail pickups too, have read they are good, and they have different output options too.
Hmmm...

SD JB Jr
Charlie Christian singlecoil size (Lollar, Vintage Vibe, others)
Lace Deathbucker singlecoil size (if they exist- contact Lace)
Rio Grande Dirty Harry telecaster neck size
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 10, 2015,
Quote by TheTransient
Telecaster are the actually the best guitar for everything haha

I have believed this to be true for many years. Seriously, I have not entertained buying another electric guitar for a long time, simply because I've got a decent Tele and that's usually all you need.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
I have believed this to be true for many years. Seriously, I have not entertained buying another electric guitar for a long time, simply because I've got a decent Tele and that's usually all you need.

I've always been a bit more of a Strat guy than a Tele guy, though I've owned both; mind if I ask what you love about them so much?
They're reliable, unpretentious, have a great basic tone that can be used for just about anything, and you don't have to sell a kidney to be able to afford a good one. Other than that, the first guitarist I really admired was Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead who's a committed Tele man, although he's recently upset decades of iconography by playing a Les Paul most of the time...

(Plus, I play country - I have to play a Tele, right?)
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Tombe
They're reliable, unpretentious, have a great basic tone that can be used for just about anything, and you don't have to sell a kidney to be able to afford a good one. Other than that, the first guitarist I really admired was Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead who's a committed Tele man, although he's recently upset decades of iconography by playing a Les Paul most of the time...

(Plus, I play country - I have to play a Tele, right?)

Fair man! I kind of feel the same with my favorite Strat copy, I'm just always curious to hear people wax philosophic about their favorite guitars.

Also, Greenwood's Telecasters are things of pure beauty.
Radiohead fans are such an obsessive bunch that if Fender released a Jonny Greenwood signature they'd sell by the bucketload. I'm a very big fan of the modded one Jack White has been using recently too - Daphne Blue, Bigsby and a Filter'Tron in the neck...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Jack White's is a pretty sexy Tele.

Damn, now I'm looking at Greenwood's Teles and wondering how much it'd cost me to put together something like that with the Lace Sensors and all. I do love his tone.
Last edited by UnbrokenGlass at May 10, 2015,
Yay teles

That's all I really have to add

Oh, been using the reverb+delay mode in the wet a lot recently. That with the el cap ha been a super fun combo. Especially with some super light od on
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'm new to the Tele clan. Well, I have 2 Teleclones, and neither has the traditional pickups.

And neither is visually "country", traditional, unpretentious, subtle or what have you...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 10, 2015,
I picked up a tele because the guys from a Bloc Party played them. Especially their lead guitarist Russell Lissack, who was basically a wannabe Jonny Greenwood anyway haha. That's what led to my Radiohead-obsessed phase as a matter of fact.

If you want a Greenwood tele but you are on a budget, Fender have "reissued" the Tele Plus as a Chinese-made Modern Player model. I think they are made where the Squier Classic Vibe guitars are made, so they should be solid guitars.
Quote by UnbrokenGlass
Jack White's is a pretty sexy Tele.

Damn, now I'm looking at Greenwood's Teles and wondering how much it'd cost me to put together something like that with the Lace Sensors and all. I do love his tone.

I dunno how much his guitars have to with his tone at all tbh. Fender 85. Max. Modular shit. A bunch of pedals.
I just got rid of my tele the other day. I liked it still, but I got a semi hollow and barely use the tele any more. Ill get another one day. I may build one one day. Im a pretty handy woodworker.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

Quote by Tombe
Radiohead fans are such an obsessive bunch that if Fender released a Jonny Greenwood signature they'd sell by the bucketload. I'm a very big fan of the modded one Jack White has been using recently too - Daphne Blue, Bigsby and a Filter'Tron in the neck...

This is true... I used to be a HUGE Radiohead fan. They're still one of my all-time favorites but I suppose I'm less of a fanatic now.

Quote by TheTransient
I picked up a tele because the guys from a Bloc Party played them. Especially their lead guitarist Russell Lissack, who was basically a wannabe Jonny Greenwood anyway haha. That's what led to my Radiohead-obsessed phase as a matter of fact.

If you want a Greenwood tele but you are on a budget, Fender have "reissued" the Tele Plus as a Chinese-made Modern Player model. I think they are made where the Squier Classic Vibe guitars are made, so they should be solid guitars.

Dude, Russell is totally a Greenwood fanboy. He's good at what he does though.

And shit, I kind of want to indulge my 18-year-old self and put lace sensors in a Modern Player... damn. That'd make a great beater guitar for touring since I won't really be able to take the Bean on the road and I'll need a humbucker guitar.

Quote by T7E
I dunno how much his guitars have to with his tone at all tbh. Fender 85. Max. Modular shit. A bunch of pedals.

Most of the weird shit he does is with keys. His guitar tones are generally pretty straightforward. His effects usage is largely 'obvious' stuff like tremolo, whammy, phaser, etc. Though his playing style matters a lot too since he picks crazy hard, especially on the first three records where he's more or less indiscriminately whacking all the strings with max gain. In my experience you can get 99% there with a high-output bridge humbucker (Lace Red Dually = super hot) and an aggressive diode overdrive. On later records you hear more of his clean tone from the Starcaster he occasionally uses, but his live clean tone with the tele is super glassy and hi-fi in the way you can only really get with a really hot bridge pickup.

****, my fanboyism is showing. I'm gonna go listen to their discography now...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I feel like I missed the boat with Radiohead. They are good, but I never really got into them. I guess I spent too much time listening to Blink-182 and a plethora of Butt Rock. Any of you guys ever get into Armor for Sleep?
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by stradivari310
This is true... I used to be a HUGE Radiohead fan. They're still one of my all-time favorites but I suppose I'm less of a fanatic now.

Dude, Russell is totally a Greenwood fanboy. He's good at what he does though.

A couple of years ago they were finally usurped by Sigur Ros as my favourite band. Possibly because Sigur Ros release an album every couple of years rather than every ten years and when they tour it's possible for mortal man to afford and be able to book tickets. And having that Nashville work ethic I've always admired a band not afraid of a bit of hard work - see Sigur Ros' marathon 2012-13 tour where they did 3 laps of the entire world and recorded and released two albums while the tour was going on, all this whilst trying to work around keyboardist, founder member and musical genius Kjartan Sveinsson leaving. It puts Radiohead doing 2 UK arena dates every five years to shame a bit.

I remember around 2004/05 you couldn't move for Jonny Greenwood wannabes. Lissack is the one that springs to mind most but I remember going to see Hope Of The States and Anthony Theaker was bent double over a Tele, hiding behind a jet-black fringe whilst blasting out tremolo-picked octaves. The support band, who were so generic I can't even remember their name, had a lead guitarist who also looked exactly like Jonny Greenwood, played in the same stance as him and had exactly the same guitar, a sunburst Tele Plus. I think he had a Vox AC30 too...

Personally I find it much more satisfying to ape Ed O'Brien, focusing on looking cool whilst letting your pedals do the majority of the work.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

To be fair, I think a lot of Radiohead's scheduling has to do with conflicts with side projects. If nothing else, Thom Yorke is a side project slut. I don't know how many things he's done with groups like U.N.K.L.E., Atoms for Peace, etc. it wouldn't surprise me to find the others keeping busy themselves...

Quote by ppunkrokMr
I feel like I missed the boat with Radiohead. They are good, but I never really got into them. I guess I spent too much time listening to Blink-182 and a plethora of Butt Rock. Any of you guys ever get into Armor for Sleep?

Oh man, I remember them. They were big in what, 2008? Crazy.

Quote by Tombe
A couple of years ago they were finally usurped by Sigur Ros as my favourite band. Possibly because Sigur Ros release an album every couple of years rather than every ten years and when they tour it's possible for mortal man to afford and be able to book tickets. And having that Nashville work ethic I've always admired a band not afraid of a bit of hard work - see Sigur Ros' marathon 2012-13 tour where they did 3 laps of the entire world and recorded and released two albums while the tour was going on, all this whilst trying to work around keyboardist, founder member and musical genius Kjartan Sveinsson leaving. It puts Radiohead doing 2 UK arena dates every five years to shame a bit.

I remember around 2004/05 you couldn't move for Jonny Greenwood wannabes. Lissack is the one that springs to mind most but I remember going to see Hope Of The States and Anthony Theaker was bent double over a Tele, hiding behind a jet-black fringe whilst blasting out tremolo-picked octaves. The support band, who were so generic I can't even remember their name, had a lead guitarist who also looked exactly like Jonny Greenwood, played in the same stance as him and had exactly the same guitar, a sunburst Tele Plus. I think he had a Vox AC30 too...

Personally I find it much more satisfying to ape Ed O'Brien, focusing on looking cool whilst letting your pedals do the majority of the work.

You make a very good point. My girlfriend's sister (the french horn player on the new ember wreath album) is actually playing a concert series with Kjartan this summer in Brooklyn. I really need to make it down there for one of the performances!

But yeah, I'm glad I never actually tried to emulate Greenwood. I'm definitely more of an Ed player myself, though my stint as a vocalist really changed my approach to live performance.

EDIT: I officially paid off my Bean today, but I still don't have it. The people making the die-cast pickup covers have taken MONTHS and they still aren't done yet. Kevin is pretty furious because at this point it's holding up the Travis Bean reissues as well.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by stradivari310 at May 11, 2015,
Quote by stradivari310
Oh man, I remember them. They were big in what, 2008? Crazy.

You make a very good point. My girlfriend's sister (the french horn player on the new ember wreath album) is actually playing a concert series with Kjartan this summer in Brooklyn. I really need to make it down there for one of the performances!

I'm also impressed by the amount of annoying band habits they smash through. Every time I saw them on the Valtari/Kveikur tour they came on stage at exactly the published stage time, rather than an hour late like some bands I saw the same year (ahem - The National) then play for their full allotted two hours. And I love how at the very end of Popplagid, when the rest of the band are letting the last chord ring out into a cacophony of feedback, buzz and self-oscillating fuzz, Orri just hits his crash cymbals once then gets up and leaves the stage...

Also I went to Iceland a couple of months ago and totally understand why Sigur Ros sound the way they do now. Apparently their studio was across the road from our hotel but I didn't see it. But I did see Alafoss, a waterfall in the same part of town which I'm assuming the song was named after. But yeah, driving for an hour across a completely featureless glacial outwash plain and braving a ferocious Icelandic storm with () on was epic.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by ppunkrokMr
Any of you guys ever get into Armor for Sleep?

My girlfriend was into them. Bunch of whiny-ass mother****ers if you ask me

This was before we were going out, but I had a major crush on her at this point, so I tried to listen to them just so she would like me (she wasn't interested in me at all at first), but nah, I couldn't do it, they just were too "emo" for me

Also it didn't really work. Instead, I started trying to be Russell Lissack, and my skinny jeans, tight t-shirts and long fringe later converted her to liking Bloc Party and also liking me. So that worked out ok

Then Bloc Party started going down the shitter and I discovered Mogwai and post-rock
Last edited by TheTransient at May 11, 2015,
Quote by Tombe
I'm also impressed by the amount of annoying band habits they smash through. Every time I saw them on the Valtari/Kveikur tour they came on stage at exactly the published stage time, rather than an hour late like some bands I saw the same year (ahem - The National) then play for their full allotted two hours. And I love how at the very end of Popplagid, when the rest of the band are letting the last chord ring out into a cacophony of feedback, buzz and self-oscillating fuzz, Orri just hits his crash cymbals once then gets up and leaves the stage...

Also I went to Iceland a couple of months ago and totally understand why Sigur Ros sound the way they do now. Apparently their studio was across the road from our hotel but I didn't see it. But I did see Alafoss, a waterfall in the same part of town which I'm assuming the song was named after. But yeah, driving for an hour across a completely featureless glacial outwash plain and braving a ferocious Icelandic storm with () on was epic.

I intend to go to iceland sometime in the next 1-2 years. I just have to.

Quote by TheTransient
My girlfriend was into them. Bunch of whiny-ass mother****ers if you ask me

This was before we were going out, but I had a major crush on her at this point, so I tried to listen to them just so she would like me (she wasn't interested in me at all at first), but nah, I couldn't do it, they just were too "emo" for me

Also it didn't really work. Instead, I started trying to be Russell Lissack, and my skinny jeans, tight t-shirts and long fringe later converted her to liking Bloc Party and also liking me. So that worked out ok

Then Bloc Party started going down the shitter and I discovered Mogwai and post-rock

Jonny Greenwood: gateway drug

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

there is no such thing as too emo.

dream to make believe was great.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by greeny23
there is no such thing as too emo.

dream to make believe was great.

There might be such a thing as too emo but Armor for Sleep isn't it.

Dream to Make Believe and What to do when you are dead. I still rock that album semi regularly. That band was definitely a gateway for me to more aggressive music that wasn't Three Days Grace.

I have really been digging Native, Citizens, and The Story So Far lately. I know most of that isnt exactly Emo but its still good IMO. I find that I am slowly getting into more music that uses less pedals. Its strange. For a while, if there wasn't always delay on, I wasn't interested.
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by ppunkrokMr
There might be such a thing as too emo but Armor for Sleep isn't it.

Dream to Make Believe and What to do when you are dead. I still rock that album semi regularly. That band was definitely a gateway for me to more aggressive music that wasn't Three Days Grace.

I have really been digging Native, Citizens, and The Story So Far lately. I know most of that isnt exactly Emo but its still good IMO. I find that I am slowly getting into more music that uses less pedals. Its strange. For a while, if there wasn't always delay on, I wasn't interested.

Native is awesome. Orthodox is a fantastic record. They have a lot of pedals but use them really tastefully. One of the guys has a HOG which is just used for a sort of subtle background organ/pad thing and it works so well. If you like them you should check out Kidcrash, which incidentally is the band that the founder of Science amps plays in!

The new TSSF album is sweet. Just listened to it for the first time yesterday. Not what I normally go for, but I'm into it. Never expected them to be this good after how bad the first album was though

I'm definitely trying to use fewer pedals overall though, at least in a band setting when I'm not actively trying to do drone stuff.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

I'm glad Ed came up. I saw this as in flight entertainment when I was 16 flying to Thailand and it introduced me to horns, layers and most importantly the mother ****ing delay pedal.
I was never into radiohead until I watched this and t still ****s me up.
Thoms delay "sound on sound" kinda thing at the start drew me in but then Ed's tone at like 30 secs LITERALLY started it all for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2084nQbmvk
Dude, those from the basement videos are SO inspiring. Some of my favorite live performances.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by stradivari310
I intend to go to iceland sometime in the next 1-2 years. I just have to.

Yes you do! Can't recommend it enough, probably my favourite country I've ever been to. And I suspect if I went in the summer when there weren't quite so many snowstorms I'd like it even more...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by T7E
I'm glad Ed came up. I saw this as in flight entertainment when I was 16 flying to Thailand and it introduced me to horns, layers and most importantly the mother ****ing delay pedal.
I was never into radiohead until I watched this and t still ****s me up.
Thoms delay "sound on sound" kinda thing at the start drew me in but then Ed's tone at like 30 secs LITERALLY started it all for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2084nQbmvk

I just can't get over Thom's pouty face at 0:58 haha

VERY VERY close to finished.
Shortlist are:

Minifooger trem - Leading atm, much more relevant to my band context. Played it the other day and it is gorgeous, has a tiny little touch of FM going on like a "harmonic" trem. Really really sweet sounding.

SS/BS TAFM - Had the BUZZZ but sold it to a mate. Played the TAFM the other day and liked it way more, which is saying a lot as the BUZZZ is gorgeous

Bit Commander - Awesomnesss
Last edited by T7E at May 13, 2015,
Pedalboard needs: n/a

Pedalboard wants: bigger board

EHX Big Box graphic fuzz- not very fuzzy but so much tone shaping options that I can get the sound of my amp but pushed

Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian-duh

Either an older Mono Wet or RV3 for 100% wet goodness to stack with my Space

Any decent tremolo.

I played an early 90s AMerican Strat into a 74 Pro Reverb yesterday and it was so nice! Im not a strat fan typically, but the neck on this was D shaped and it felt really big and nice. The amp was just WOW!!! It kinda makes me want to open the back of my 212 and see if I can get a similar sound with my V4.
Quote by Fryderyczek

Quote by ppunkrokMr

VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRB

Hof min might be a practical short term solution but I totes vote RV3 for infinite 100% wet.
That said i'm pretty sure my wet used to go for like 5 minutes but still.
Quote by T7E
VERY VERY close to finished.
Shortlist are:

Minifooger trem - Leading atm, much more relevant to my band context. Played it the other day and it is gorgeous, has a tiny little touch of FM going on like a "harmonic" trem. Really really sweet sounding.

SS/BS TAFM - Had the BUZZZ but sold it to a mate. Played the TAFM the other day and liked it way more, which is saying a lot as the BUZZZ is gorgeous

Bit Commander - Awesomnesss

Dude, your board is so cool. You have a great assortment of weird and interesting pedals. The minifooger trem is really excellent, so I back that choice. You should look into a Bitquest too.

Quote by ppunkrokMr
Pedalboard needs: n/a

Pedalboard wants: bigger board

EHX Big Box graphic fuzz- not very fuzzy but so much tone shaping options that I can get the sound of my amp but pushed

Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian-duh

Any decent tremolo.

I played an early 90s AMerican Strat into a 74 Pro Reverb yesterday and it was so nice! Im not a strat fan typically, but the neck on this was D shaped and it felt really big and nice. The amp was just WOW!!! It kinda makes me want to open the back of my 212 and see if I can get a similar sound with my V4.

All good choices. Also, you can cop a fender tone from a V4 by scooping the mids with the rocker switch set to 700 Hz!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

TBH I tried really really really hard to like the Bitquest when I tried it but it just got away for me. Played it for probably 40 minutes and had a serious "Damn I wish this was as cool right now as it is in my head" kinda moment.

I'm gonna head to my local shop probably this week or next with my board and have a play of some stuff. I am thinking that I should probably explore the volume modulation on my Warped Vinyl a little more first, limited as it is.

I also just watched this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU2mSULHprk

and it gets pretty interesting at like 1:40 and I'm thinking like with the RM-1N in front of it then into everything else I have it could be an awesome tool when used subtly (or hell, not so subtly)