My guitar doesn't have a tremolo but tends to go out of tune a lot, recently i bought a set of locking tuners but it doesn't solve the problem i assume that it was the nut. The string maybe binding to the nut. What do you recommend a bone nut, tusq nut, or graphite nut? But i heard a lot of cons on graphite because it loses a lot of sustain and affects the tone, i'm very concern of choosing the right nut it may affect my playing style. I mostly play metal thanks.
I think graphite nuts are great. They keep the strings lubricated.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Bone nuts seem to have a litle more... snap? in the high end. Plastic is a great material too.

Graphite I have played with only once, strat modded with a floyd, locking tuners. It stayed in tune

Get some Big Bends Nut Sauce FTW
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Bone nuts seem to have a litle more... snap? in the high end. Plastic is a great material too.

Graphite I have played with only once, strat modded with a floyd, locking tuners. It stayed in tune

Get some Big Bends Nut Sauce FTW

What is a nut sauce im new to this? How much? How about tusq nuts have you experienced it or heard of them?
Bone for vintage guitars, Brass if you're a 70's freak and Tusq for the rest.

Big Bends Nut Sauce is a string lubricant that is supposed to allow your strings to move through the nut slots with getting hung up. Some people swear by it.

http://www.bigbends.com/
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Don't buy lubricant...just use a pencil. Seriously. Just lift up your strings with your current nut and draw in them with a pencil. It'll lubricate the slot and probably eliminate your tuning problems. I do this with every guitar I touch and have never had any tuning problems or complaints from "customers" about tuning problems. (I set up peoples' guitars for them, but rarely charge money...I just enjoy doing it )

One HUGE giveaway about your nut pinching is of you hear little *tink* noises while tuning/restringing. If you hear that, just lube the nut. I honestly have never seen any reason to replace the nut of a guitar other than it's worn out or cracked, and I know guitar techs that agree with me.

Try this before you go spend money, though. If it doesn't work, you can always try something else, but I wouldn't spend the money if you don't have to.
Quote by Blktiger0
Don't buy lubricant...just use a pencil. Seriously. Just lift up your strings with your current nut and draw in them with a pencil. It'll lubricate the slot and probably eliminate your tuning problems. I do this with every guitar I touch and have never had any tuning problems or complaints from "customers" about tuning problems. (I set up peoples' guitars for them, but rarely charge money...I just enjoy doing it )

One HUGE giveaway about your nut pinching is of you hear little *tink* noises while tuning/restringing. If you hear that, just lube the nut. I honestly have never seen any reason to replace the nut of a guitar other than it's worn out or cracked, and I know guitar techs that agree with me.

Try this before you go spend money, though. If it doesn't work, you can always try something else, but I wouldn't spend the money if you don't have to.

Thanks men by the way if my nut broke or sawed off what do you recommend a tusq or a bone nut? Anyway i think the pencil would be great it is abundant unlike the nut sauce i can find it here.
Speaking from experience, Graph Tech nuts are great for improving tuning stability. The difference from a dog-shit plastic nut is quite surprising.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Speaking from experience, Graph Tech nuts are great for improving tuning stability. The difference from a dog-shit plastic nut is quite surprising.

Does it affect the t0ne? Are there disadvantage on using the tgraph tech nut?
Quote by Almon2011
Does it affect the t0ne? Are there disadvantage on using the tgraph tech nut?

I haven't noticed any difference in tone. The tuning is just much more stable.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
If your nut breaks, just buy whatever. There really isn't that big of a difference. Graph-Tech would prevent you from having to draw in the nut slots every time you restring, so that would probably be the most convenient. Just make sure it's spaced correctly or do the spacing yourself, but you want to make sure you know what you're doing.

Also, have you increased the gauge of your strings since you bought the guitar? A lot of people don't realize this, but if you increase the gauge of your strings, you have to file your nut slots to a larger size as well. If not, you'll have terrible tuning stability and probably crack the nut.