My Engl Savage 120 came in from UPS today.

After unpacking it and hooking it up to a 2x12 cab, I let the tubes warm up and then started messing with settings.

Clean channel - Excellent
Crunch 1 - Fuzzy
Crunch 2 - Noisy
Lead - FFFUUUUUUU

When I turned the gain up above 5, I got an interesting mix of guitar signal, white noise, and a local radio station. I even tried running the dry signal through some filters and it didn't help.

It turns out there's an antenna array a few roads over. I've only been here four months and in that time I have never gone in that direction so I didn't even know they were there.

I'm pretty angry right now as anyone could imagine. I basically have a top of the line amp sitting behind me with which I can only use the clean channel.

How can I shield everything from this horrible interference? Oh, and yes, the thought of mixing up thermite for the antenna support cables has crossed my mind. Of all things, it's country/Christian radio.
They make a radio interference mesh that blocks all radio and microwave type signals, I saw the MythBusters use it once when they were testing Cell phones messing with airplane equipment. Maybe you can buy a bunch of it and line your amp room with it.
That's really weird. I've never had that problem before, and I live about the same distance away from most of my hometown's radio towers.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I know... I'm really confused here, since the interference is intermittent. It seems to come in pulses, which makes no sense. Dissonant frequencies pulse, but not for seconds at a time like this.

I'm buying a house in the spring, but until then it'll suck having to put up with this crazy amount of noise. I was hoping there might be a quick fix but meshing the room would be very expensive...
Quote by CV334
I know... I'm really confused here, since the interference is intermittent. It seems to come in pulses, which makes no sense. Dissonant frequencies pulse, but not for seconds at a time like this.

I'm buying a house in the spring, but until then it'll suck having to put up with this crazy amount of noise. I was hoping there might be a quick fix but meshing the room would be very expensive...

3 feet of concrete....or put up tin sheeting on your walls?

If the amp is prone to interference then idk what you can do other than figure out how the shield the amp from interference better, either internally or externally.
You could try a cardboard box and shield it with aluminium foil.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Take your guitar somewhere else on try playing on it. If it has issues other than the radio thing you need to get them diagnosed and fixed before something worse happens.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
Take your guitar somewhere else on try playing on it. If it has issues other than the radio thing you need to get them diagnosed and fixed before something worse happens.

No no it's definitely because of these damn antennas 2000 feet away. I made sure that there were no other variables.
you tried new tubes?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I'd contact the FCC.. there are some pretty strict laws about interference, and it sounds like the radio station has some equipment on the fritz...

I've lived near antennae before, with a tube amp with no problems..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by CV334
No no it's definitely because of these damn antennas 2000 feet away. I made sure that there were no other variables.

The only way you could eliminate all other variables is to go somewhere else and play on your amp.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
overly microphonic preamp tube

you need extra anyway

if you are in the US contact Doug at www.dougstubes.com and ask for a NOS JAN Phillips 5751. Thank me later.

oh and HNAD

I have that tube in V1 for my savage, love it.

Ontopic: are you sure theres nothing wrong with the amp?
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260
+1 on making sure there's nothing wrong with your amp, tubes and cables.

i used to get some radio noise, then i upgraded my cables. no radio noise now.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only time I have heard of an amp picking up radio stations is when there is a wah plugged in front of it, basically its the wah that picks it up & forwards it to the amp. Never had to deal with this problem myself though.

Try switching around the preamp tubes & see if you notice any change. Normally a micro-phonic tube won't cause too much trouble in the PI position but in early spots it can start howling/whistling with the gain level set high. The excessive white noise/hiss you are getting can also be associated to tubes that are in the gain slots of the preamp but I'm not sure about the radio station thingy...

Now would be a good time to buy some spares

You also need to take the amp to a different location away from the towers & see if that helps. If it does help, then I'm not sure how to go about this thing

EDIT: ^+1 on checking the cables, if you are accidentally using speaker cables for your instrument leads then that can act as an antenna.
Last edited by dahelunover at Dec 8, 2011,
I would definitely check your entire rig to make sure nothing is wrong.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Check your cables, check your tubes, check your pedals, check your tubes, check your guitar's shielding, check your tubes... check your tubes.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by CV334
Oh, and yes, the thought of mixing up thermite for the antenna support cables has crossed my mind. Of all things, it's country/Christian radio.

Just the fact that you even know what Thermite is, tells me that radio staion is doomed .... But hey, let's do it right, if we're gonna burn the guywires, let's step it up and use SEMTEX...

Edit to add: OT, sorry about your problem.

Oh, and if your amp is like most, it probably isn't shielded at all, or if it is, it's poorly shielded. Can you hear the radio station with the amp off? If so, you definitely need to add some shielding. If you're at all good with tools and such, maybe get some thin plates of steel and add it to the amp. 1/32" will do fine and is easy to work with. just be sure to keep it away from any conductors, etc. Be sure to drain any capacitors before work. Unplug amp. Cut metal to just fit against the outer walls of the area housing the tubes, and secure to wall with self tapping screws. If that don't fix it, I doubt anything would. Good luck.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Dec 8, 2011,
Alright guys! I have good news!

The signal is intermittent! I came home and everything worked 100% perfectly... For an hour, until the radio station came back. I seriously think someone is broadcasting in the area, and I don't think it's that large antenna anymore because of how sporadic the interference is.

Being a brand new amp, fresh out of the box with orange tape with German words all over it, I figured the chances were slim to none that it would be defective or damaged.

Interestingly enough, my PC picks up the interference too. When I went to turn my PC off last night, the last 3 seconds before it was totally off I could hear the radio station through my headphones faintly. It was country music.

But the good thing is that the amp is totally fine and sounds incredible even though this Marshall combo cab. I'm just waiting on a Mesa Recto 2x12 to be delivered before I can hear some really nice tone.

It's SO nice to have an amp again. Running VSTs started to get annoying. They sound great in recordings, but they're nothing like the real thing.
Quote by IbanezBossShred
Just the fact that you even know what Thermite is, tells me that radio staion is doomed .... But hey, let's do it right, if we're gonna burn the guywires, let's step it up and use SEMTEX...

Oh, and if your amp is like most, it probably isn't shielded at all, or if it is, it's poorly shielded. Can you hear the radio station with the amp off? .

Haha, that's not all I know

I make my own breakfast.

But in all seriousness, I only hear the radio station when I have the gain cranked in the lead channel. I also hear it through my PC when I shut it down and the power is cut to the interface box for about 2-3 seconds.

I've also been having a ton of issues with our wireless router, which is odd because I didn't think that 88-106mhz could affect a 3+ghz wireless signal. Unless it's not FM- I'm just making an assumption.
That's interesting- I might try that if I wind up with a problem with the amp. I've done a lot of tests to try to isolate the issue, and I think it's 2-part.

1) Our A/C wiring has a slight amount of noise behind it that I think could be cleared up with a power conditioner

2) My interface box has developed a nasty bit of interference and I don't know why. If I plug the output into the line-in on my little practice amp or speakers, I can "hear" mouse clicks and keystrokes. WTF.

3) The radio interference is major. I can hear it if I open any VST ampsim in Cubase and crank the gain, as well as using the ENGL. So I think this test pretty much proves that the Engl is perfectly fine.

I'll figure out what to do. It just sucks that I can't use the high-gain channel on the Savage until I get this fixed.

On a more positive note, I am EXTREMELY impressed with the Savage. Even at extremely low volumes it sounds awesome. By extremely low, I mean whisper quiet so that anyone else in the house can't hear it. I have never had a tube-amp that was this awesome at low volumes. When nobody is around, I go full-out bad ass and crank the volume to 0.5/10.
Last edited by CV334 at Dec 10, 2011,
clearly that antenna must come down.

failing that, maybe call and make a bunch of requests of songs you like to play along to?

HNAD!!!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.