Page 1 of 2
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can answer this: Does the B D D D D D Tuning damage an acoustic guitar? An example of a song that uses the B D D D D D Tuning is "Iris" By the Goo goo dolls.
Thanks for your help!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You could use that tuning for slide you don't know how to slide.

Quote by Stefanos12
Hmm well its tuning down.. Does low tuning damage the guitar?

Yes. You'll die.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Stefanos12
Hmm well its tuning down.. Does low tuning damage the guitar?

I image keeping it that way for a while then changing the tuning could be damaging. I'm not an expert though, so don't take me too seriously.
It's the Goo Goo Dolls, of course it'll damage your guitar!
OT: I doubt it, but if you leave it like that for a while and set it up like that, tuning it to standard could potentially bad for it.
Quote by genghisgandhi

Why should he? I see every reason to agree with him.

On topic, you should be able to tell from everyone's obviously joking comments that it's not really going to hurt the guitar. If it did, why would they make a song like that?
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Quote by WCPhils
Fill it with sand first.

Kilty Boxers needs to make more threads.
you're a stone fox
Quote by WCPhils
Fill it with sand first.

This. Play bass with it.

Then melt it to make a cool glass ornament.

Great thread.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 7, 2011,
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Bro I doubt the Goo Goo Dolls write in any tuning besides Standard.

Wtf is B D D D D D tuning.

Actually, the goo goo dolls use alot of ****ed up tunings.
Quote by guitarmaniac88

On topic, you should be able to tell from everyone's obviously joking comments that it's not really going to hurt the guitar. If it did, why would they make a song like that?

Well keep in mind that I have a 300$ Ibanez aeg20 acoustic.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
You need at least a 750$ guitar to play in B D D D D D tuning.

ChadLikesGooGoodolls
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Bro I doubt the Goo Goo Dolls write in any tuning besides Standard.

they actually have quite a bit of songs in standard tunings.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
they actually have quite a bit of songs in standard tunings.

That's like, exactly what he just said.

Ninja'd to ChadLikesGooGooDolls
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Nah, it probably won't damage your guitar. I advise to only do that when you're about due for a string change, though, and don't mind breaking a string. I've snapped my b once or twice trying to get it tuned up. It's a scary thing, and you can literally hear it strain as you almost get it to D. It's a cool song to play and the tuning sounds sweet. Screw the haters.
B D D D D D Tuning is where You tune down the 6th string to B, Tune down the 5th string to A, Leave the 4th string at D, Tune down the 3rd string to D, Tune up the 2nd string to D, and tune down the 1st string to D. So will this harm the guitar at all?
Quote by happytimeharry
Nah, it probably won't damage your guitar. I advise to only do that when you're about due for a string change, though, and don't mind breaking a string. I've snapped my b once or twice trying to get it tuned up. It's a scary thing, and you can literally hear it strain as you almost get it to D. It's a cool song to play and the tuning sounds sweet. Screw the haters.

So you've tried tuning it to B D D D D D Before?
Quote by Stefanos12
So you've tried tuning it to B D D D D D Before?

Whenever I'm bored and ready for a new set of strings I'll tune to that for Iris. You run the risk of snapping your b string, that's why I advised against using a fresh pair of strings, unless you plan on keeping it in that tuning for a while.
Quote by happytimeharry
Whenever I'm bored and ready for a new set of strings I'll tune to that for Iris. You run the risk of snapping your b string, that's why I advised against using a fresh pair of strings, unless you plan on keeping it in that tuning for a while.

So this tuning doesn't mess up the bridge or the neck in any way? (sorry for all the questions I am just very qurious)
Quote by Stefanos12
So this tuning doesn't mess up the bridge or the neck in any way? (sorry for all the questions I am just very qurious)

Not that I've noticed. My acoustic is a piece of shit though, so I really couldn't care less if anything did mess up on it.

And no worries on the questions. That's how we learn.
Quote by happytimeharry
Not that I've noticed. My acoustic is a piece of shit though, so I really couldn't care less if anything did mess up on it.

And no worries on the questions. That's how we learn.

Haha. Thanks for all the help!
Quote by Stefanos12
Haha. Thanks for all the help!

No prob. I'd first try the alternate tab that was posted. I don't know how it sounds, but the B D D D D D tuning gives you that great drone and sounds exactly like the recording. If the other tab accomplishes the same thing, then do that one.
No... It won't damage anything... I guess it's too late to mention that this does not belong in the Pit
I hate my sig
Quote by guitarmaniac88

He was disagreeing with me using cultural references. You see, it was a joke that works on multiple levels: gg got me to check out Lil B's hit album Im Gay (Im Happy) earlier this year, and that track in the link samples a Goo Goo song; also, Shut Up, Dude, is the name of a mixtape from Das Racist, a hip hop group whom we both enjoy.
You sure you're not confusing Goo Goo Dolls with Sonic Youth >_>
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
You could always play Name. It has a much more exciting tuning.

The Goo Goo Dolls are awesome. You idiots hate them because you can't play catchy, infectious tunes in non-standard tunings.
Quote by hriday_hazarika
You could always play Name. It has a much more exciting tuning.

The Goo Goo Dolls are awesome. You idiots hate them because you can't play catchy, infectious tunes in non-standard tunings.

Also, The Goo Goo Dolls were actually straight up, balls out punk when they started out. So, at some point someone stole their manhood/ gave them money to write bland music.
Quote by JDizzle787
Also, The Goo Goo Dolls were actually straight up, balls out punk when they started out. So, at some point someone stole their manhood/ gave them money to write bland music.

Who'd wanna be signed to Metal Blade Records for the rest of their lives?

loljk

I like the fact that they adopted a catchier adult alternative sound. I wouldn't have had the opportunity to listen to an awesome album like Gutterflower if it weren't for that. I don't really care about the whole "selling out" thing, because I love sappy shit.
Last edited by hriday_hazarika at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by hriday_hazarika
Who'd wanna be signed to Metal Blade Records for the rest of their lives?

loljk

I like the fact that they adopted a catchier adult alternative sound. I wouldn't have had the opportunity to listen to an awesome album like Gutterflower if it weren't for that. I don't really care about the whole "selling out" thing, because I love sappy shit.

I have yet to really hear that much of their stuff, even their aforementioned early stuff, but I've never really hated them per se; After learning what they first sounded like though I became a tad disappointed that they've sounded like this for the past 15 or so years :P
Page 1 of 2