When I turn the stand by off I have a warm crisp sound - for about 10-30 seconds. Then I hear two LOUD pops/snaps/fizzles within a few seconds of each other then I have a noticeably quieter sound that lacks the same life. Also, power tube # 2 gives off an unmistakably blue hue while its running (not in standby, goes away in standby). Thoughts? It's under warranty but the GC I bought it from is a solid 2 hours away and the roads in the northern midwest are notoriously bad right now so if it's just a bad tube I'll replace it.

Thanks for reading
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
My only concern with buying new power tubes is that this could be a power supply problem, either a mains supply or a heater, and then I'll just burn through another. Can anyone confirm that it's at least most likely a bad tube?
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Highly highly doubt it, if I remember correctly, blue hue means that the tube has a vacuum leak, and is prolly cracked. And new tubes is still cheaper than having a tech sift though your amp to find the problem, which even if the tech found a problem, you'd still buy new power tubes to confirm.
Blue color in your tubes is the least of your problems. It does not mean a leak in the vacuum.

Loss of power and life does sound like a power tube(s) going south.

Is this a Blues Deluxe ReIssue? Do the tubes need to be biased? Do that too.

Super bright hot red is the only color you need to worry about.
Managed to find some helpful info about the blue glow at a sylvania 'site.
http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Tubes/blue_glow.html
Only one of my tubes glows with the blue color. I suppose flouresence would be the best way to describe in the terminology of the web page. It's the same kind of blue that you see in a hot oak wood fire.

ZOSO, it's a Blues Deluxe Reissue. I've never changed the tubes, nor had them biased. Amp is 100% stock. Maybe I should have a tech look at it.
Quote by Powerhouse
Quote by cds+stereo=life
Managed to find some helpful info about the blue glow at a sylvania 'site.
http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Tubes/blue_glow.html
Only one of my tubes glows with the blue color. I suppose flouresence would be the best way to describe in the terminology of the web page. It's the same kind of blue that you see in a hot oak wood fire.

ZOSO, it's a Blues Deluxe Reissue. I've never changed the tubes, nor had them biased. Amp is 100% stock. Maybe I should have a tech look at it.

Didn't read the article but I had similar situation with my amp recently and some of the amp builders on this site assured me it was not problem. I had always learned that blue hue in a amp power tube is no big deal. Bright red is the only problem.

Mine has blue in only one tube. I probably need a fresh bias anyway. If you have not done new tubes/bias yet I would do that. It should be pretty strait forward - you could probably do it yourself. Ask for a matched set of power tubes from a place like www.dougstubes.com or www.tubedepot.com. I have a biasing blog in my profile that will give you some of the basics. Your amp should be easier than mine.

And you can call me 311
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 7, 2011,
311 is right, blue is nothing to worry about. It is simply impurties on the plate flourescing. Blue is the least worrying colour of all.
Before you go changing tubes or returning the amp try simply pulling out the tubes and plugging them back in. They sometimes rattle loose in transit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It had the same noises problem with my Laney (except for the blue hue) a few weeks ago and I did instinctly what Cathbard just said, It solved my problem.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
The blue hue ain't necessarily a problem, it's just impurities or a little bit of gas in the vacuum.

Like Cathbard said, try reseating the valves and if there's no change, new ones should fix it.

Make sure you haven't snapped the little plastic alignment thing off the tubes when reseating them - putting the pins in the wrong holes can wreak havoc.
Bought some new 6l6s, they're the GC series - I imagine it shouldn't be a problem or they'd give them a different name... right?

Aaaaand for the most noob question I think I have ever asked, how do you know how to insert the tube to ensure the right pins go in the right slots (hah!)?

EDIT***

Nevermind, I discovered the little black tab on the stem.
Quote by Powerhouse
Last edited by cds+stereo=life at Dec 9, 2011,
New tubes got rid of the issue and made the amp sound much better. Thanks for the advice everybody.
Quote by Powerhouse