Budget? - 300 (but if im buying from guitar center there is a 50$ off deal for 300$ or more so 350 off that site)

Favorite Artists? - avenged sevenfold,breaking benjamin, asking alexandria, bullet for my valentine,escape the fate,falling in reverse (bands like those)

Preferences? - 24 or 22 and i dont really care what kind of body or brand aslong as it is good but i would want a floyd rose for divebombs thats the main reason why im asking for help

Pickups? - dont know to much about different pickups what do you guys think?

New or Used? - dont really care as long as the condition is good

Location? - new york city

Current Gear? - strat (which im growing to hate thats why im buying a new one) and a Line 6 Spider IV 15 15W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp

please help people
Last edited by dtjohnson232 at Dec 8, 2011,
Well first off, the only reason you hate your strat is cause you're playing out of a shit amp, so my first recommendation is going to be to buy a better amp instead of a new guitar, but if you're set on getting a new guitar, check out ESP's stuff. They're pretty much known for cheap, pretty good quality guitars. You live in NYC? I'm pretty sure there's a Sam ash on 49th street, and a guitar center on 14th, am I wrong? Check both, go in there and play every guitar in your price range. That's always the best way to do it.
Quote by mjones1992
Well first off, the only reason you hate your strat is cause you're playing out of a shit amp, so my first recommendation is going to be to buy a better amp instead of a new guitar, but if you're set on getting a new guitar, check out ESP's stuff. They're pretty much known for cheap, pretty good quality guitars. You live in NYC? I'm pretty sure there's a Sam ash on 49th street, and a guitar center on 14th, am I wrong? Check both, go in there and play every guitar in your price range. That's always the best way to do it.

for amps what do you recommend for 200?
Quote by mjones1992

This

But if you hate your guitar because it's uncomfortable and you don't like the way it plays, you have every right to get a guitar. For that price, see if you can find a used Ibanez at a local GC. If not, I'd go for a new RG. My beginner guitar was (and still is because I still play the thing) an RG2EX1 from Guitar Center for 299 when they came out. Great solid guitar with a hard tail bridge and pretty good pups for the price (my original had EMG designed pups which were meh but the ones now have V7 and V8's which are up there for 300 dollar guitars IMO). I actually LOVE my RG2EX1. It's a friggen workhorse of a guitar and it can take a beating, stays in tune like a champ, and is just all around a great guitar for the money. If I had to buy another guitar in that price range, I'd buy the thing all over again in a heartbeat.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG2EX1-Electric-Guitar-103382115-i1167867.gc?esid=RG2EX1
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Dec 8, 2011,
lol **** if I know. I bought an Orange Crush 30R for $280, but that's not gonna suit metal for you at all, and is out of your price range. Mesa Boogie is more on the expensive side, but very good, also maybe try out a Roland Cube or some Vox amps.

Basically the problem with Line6 Spider amps is that their sound is all digital, which for the most part sounds very hollow, and when you mix that with the hollow sound of a single coil pickup (which I'm assuming you're playing through on your strat), you get a pretty awful sound (IMHO), so if you're playing a strat, you're gonna wanna steer away from amps that use digital effects. In the best case scenario, you would wanna get an amp with tubes, but as that's completely out of your price range, I'd try and get something that doesn't have any built in effects other than reverb and distortion/overdrive.

Another option would be to get an effects processor, which, even though all the effects are going to be digital, at least you'll have more control over the sound than a Spider's going to give you by itself. I used to run a Digitech RP250 through a Line6 Spider III before I got my orange and I got decent tone out of that.
Quote by Krauser
This

But if you hate your guitar because it's uncomfortable and you don't like the way it plays, you have every right to get a guitar. For that price, see if you can find a used Ibanez at a local GC. If not, I'd go for a new RG. My beginner guitar was (and still is because I still play the thing) an RG2EX1 from Guitar Center for 299 when they came out. Great solid guitar with a hard tail bridge and pretty good pups for the price (my original had EMG designed pups which were meh but the ones now have V7 and V8's which are up there for 300 dollar guitars IMO). I actually LOVE my RG2EX1. It's a friggen workhorse of a guitar and it can take a beating, stays in tune like a champ, and is just all around a great guitar for the money. If I had to buy another guitar in that price range, I'd buy the thing all over again in a heartbeat.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG2EX1-Electric-Guitar-103382115-i1167867.gc?esid=RG2EX1

what do you think of my 2 choices
Quote by dtjohnson232
what do you think of my 2 choices

I'd stay away from cheap deans... and cheap B.C. Riches... but the B.C. Rich doesn't look to bad. I can't say I've ever played one (they aren't my type) but it's got a FR Special and not a licensed Floyd so if you're looking for a trem, it won't be too bad. It's 400 bucks though and for that, I'd just step it up to a RG350MDX or RG5EX1. They've got Edge III trems which, honestly, aren't too hot compared to a Floyd, but it depends on usage. You'll likely get a better guitar overall with a better build than the B.C. Rich... don't bother with the Dean... every cheap Dean I've played has been mediocre... hell... even the more expensive ones aren't that good. You should only consider a Dean when you're prepared to throw down 1K plus for a good Razorback... but that's just my opinion
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Quote by mjones1992
lol **** if I know. I bought an Orange Crush 30R for $280, but that's not gonna suit metal for you at all, and is out of your price range. Mesa Boogie is more on the expensive side, but very good, also maybe try out a Roland Cube or some Vox amps.

Basically the problem with Line6 Spider amps is that their sound is all digital, which for the most part sounds very hollow, and when you mix that with the hollow sound of a single coil pickup (which I'm assuming you're playing through on your strat), you get a pretty awful sound (IMHO), so if you're playing a strat, you're gonna wanna steer away from amps that use digital effects. In the best case scenario, you would wanna get an amp with tubes, but as that's completely out of your price range, I'd try and get something that doesn't have any built in effects other than reverb and distortion/overdrive.

Another option would be to get an effects processor, which, even though all the effects are going to be digital, at least you'll have more control over the sound than a Spider's going to give you by itself. I used to run a Digitech RP250 through a Line6 Spider III before I got my orange and I got decent tone out of that.

thanks for the advice ill take it into consideration
Quote by Krauser
I'd stay away from cheap deans... and cheap B.C. Riches... but the B.C. Rich doesn't look to bad. I can't say I've ever played one (they aren't my type) but it's got a FR Special and not a licensed Floyd so if you're looking for a trem, it won't be too bad. It's 400 bucks though and for that, I'd just step it up to a RG350MDX or RG5EX1. They've got Edge III trems which, honestly, aren't too hot compared to a Floyd, but it depends on usage. You'll likely get a better guitar overall with a better build than the B.C. Rich... don't bother with the Dean... every cheap Dean I've played has been mediocre... hell... even the more expensive ones aren't that good. You should only consider a Dean when you're prepared to throw down 1K plus for a good Razorback... but that's just my opinion

its not 300 its 4 my budget for a guitar is only 3

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nothing gonna sound good in a line 6 spider IMO .. get a better amp .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by Skysc

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nothing gonna sound good in a line 6 spider IMO .. get a better amp .

what if i get like a new 200 dollar amp with a 300 guitar any ideas guys?
Geez, some of you guys are really unhelpful.

First TS, thanks for using my sticky

Secondly, what is your entire budget? I see $300 in the OP, but then you throw out $200 for an amp?. What is the total amount that you have to spend on anything gear related?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Geez, some of you guys are really unhelpful.

First TS, thanks for using my sticky

Secondly, what is your entire budget? I see $300 in the OP, but then you throw out $200 for an amp?. What is the total amount that you have to spend on anything gear related?

welcome and 500 for gear all together and im really liking the vox i posted (watching reviews and demos now)
To be politically correct, it's winter holiday, not Christmas, you offend all the none religious people and the Federal government.

Second, your amp sucks, and you'd benefit greatly moreso than buying a guitar.

Buy a new amp, the strat will sound much much better.
Quote by dtjohnson232
welcome and 500 for gear all together and im really liking the vox i posted (watching reviews and demos now)

Well for the bands that you posted, I can highly recommend this amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922869-i1413606.gc. It is much more suitable to getting the tones you like than any of the other amps in the price range.

As for guitars, I can recommend these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-MH-50-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-516688-i1149051.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-M-100FM-Electric-Guitar-105768063-i1149011.gc

They both have Floyd Rose Specials, which are better than any other sort of "licensed trem" you're going to get in the price range. Just read the FR Setup FAQ here and learn how to set up and operate a floyd rose, and they'll last you for years.

EDIT: To those saying the strat will sound better if he just upgrades the amp, the strat is pretty much useless to him, considering the bands he's playing. Yes, a good amp will make him sound better, but at the end of the day, single coils aren't going to get him anywhere close to the sounds he wants to achieve. He'll probably be much more inclined to play and get better if he has a guitar that is suited to his tastes.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Well for the bands that you posted, I can highly recommend this amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922869-i1413606.gc. It is much more suitable to getting the tones you like than any of the other amps in the price range.

As for guitars, I can recommend these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-MH-50-Electric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-516688-i1149051.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-M-100FM-Electric-Guitar-105768063-i1149011.gc

They both have Floyd Rose Specials, which are better than any other sort of "licensed trem" you're going to get in the price range. Just read the FR Setup FAQ here and learn how to set up and operate a floyd rose, and they'll last you for years.

EDIT: To those saying the strat will sound better if he just upgrades the amp, the strat is pretty much useless to him, considering the bands he's playing. Yes, a good amp will make him sound better, but at the end of the day, single coils aren't going to get him anywhere close to the sounds he wants to achieve. He'll probably be much more inclined to play and get better if he has a guitar that is suited to his tastes.

thanks man really but off your knowledge of guitars which one would you choose ?
Those two are almost identical. The differences are the body shape and countours, and the neck profile. Those things are completely subjective. I vastly prefer the MH to the M, but you may like the M better. The best thing you can do is go to the store, and try to play those models, or models similar to them.

Find out what kind of neck profiles you like (the MH is thicker, it's kind of a "middle of the road" neck, not thin, but not extremely thick either. The M is pretty thin, but a little rounded at the same time), see if you like flat top guitars (M) or carved top guitars (MH), stuff like that.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Those two are almost identical. The differences are the body shape and countours, and the neck profile. Those things are completely subjective. I vastly prefer the MH to the M, but you may like the M better. The best thing you can do is go to the store, and try to play those models, or models similar to them.

Find out what kind of neck profiles you like (the MH is thicker, it's kind of a "middle of the road" neck, not thin, but not extremely thick either. The M is pretty thin, but a little rounded at the same time), see if you like flat top guitars (M) or carved top guitars (MH), stuff like that.

would the difference in the neck effect the speed of playing if if they do how so
Quote by dtjohnson232
would the difference in the neck effect the speed of playing if if they do how so

Yes, but what I'm trying to say is that that is not a quantifiable factor. It's seriously about what feels comfortable in your hands. Some people feel more comfortable on large, round necks. Some people feel comfortable on thin, flat necks. How fast you play depends entirely on how comfortable you are playing the guitar. There is no objective "right or wrong answer" to this stuff. You really just have to get to a store, and play as many guitars as you can, to find out what you find comfortable. Because that is something that no one else can tell you. You have to find out for yourself.

For instance, I have owned First Act, Epiphone, Dean, Ibanez and LTD guitars. It wasn't until I got my H-301 that it all "clicked", and I immediately knew that that neck (the ESP Thin U) was the neck for me. When I play my H and my MH, I don't notice the neck. When I play any guitars with any other neck profiles, I notice that the neck is thin, or flat, or fat. With my MH and H, I just play.

Also, the best way to find out if you like a neck or not is to just wait and see if your hand starts hurting after 30 minutes of playing. If it does, move on. That's why I don't play my Ibanez anymore.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
Yes, but what I'm trying to say is that that is not a quantifiable factor. It's seriously about what feels comfortable in your hands. Some people feel more comfortable on large, round necks. Some people feel comfortable on thin, flat necks. How fast you play depends entirely on how comfortable you are playing the guitar. There is no objective "right or wrong answer" to this stuff. You really just have to get to a store, and play as many guitars as you can, to find out what you find comfortable. Because that is something that no one else can tell you. You have to find out for yourself.

For instance, I have owned First Act, Epiphone, Dean, Ibanez and LTD guitars. It wasn't until I got my H-301 that it all "clicked", and I immediately knew that that neck (the ESP Thin U) was the neck for me. When I play my H and my MH, I don't notice the neck. When I play any guitars with any other neck profiles, I notice that the neck is thin, or flat, or fat. With my MH and H, I just play.

Also, the best way to find out if you like a neck or not is to just wait and see if your hand starts hurting after 30 minutes of playing. If it does, move on. That's why I don't play my Ibanez anymore.

thanks man i honestly have to say that you have helped me the most on this site so far im considering going out and trying those guitars at my local gc and the amp and if all goes well that will be my christmas present (besides my keyboard)