ANTHONYLBEST
Who did you think I was?
1,485 IQ
So I have fallen in love, head over heals, with the Black Crowes. I have tuned my partscaster to Open G, but I really want a hollowbody / semi-hollow in order to the the feel and the vibe of their soul and sound.

I have a PRS Hollowbody I, but leaving that always tuned to Open G means it won't get played as often.

So I am wondering what is the budget guitar would be. I am hoping to find something used under $500. What should I be looking for?

Thoughts? Ideas?
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Esquire Scorpion, P90 Thinline Tele
Ibanez: RGA8
Gretsch: 5420
LTD: EC-400VF

Amp
Avid 11R
barden1069
UG's ONLY Guitarist
1,083 IQ
I love my Ibanez AS73, but you could probably find a used Epi Sheraton II for that price and it's going to be a better guitar IMO
Le Gear
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Ibanez AM93
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange AD30
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H
'72 Fender Vibrosonic Reverb

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
BIGEV95
19 IQ
hagstrom viking or epi sheraton. both awesome
RebuildIt
254 IQ
Would you settle for a mediocre old Japanese hollow body for much less than $500?
Blompcube
Registered User Error
4,278 IQ
Quote by barden1069
I love my Ibanez AS73, but you could probably find a used Epi Sheraton II for that price and it's going to be a better guitar IMO

this - used epiphone sheraton is a great suggestion - especially if you can find one from the 1990s.

i managed to get one for £240 about 3 years ago. i still think it's one of the best deals i've ever had.
Rig: (under construction)
1979 Yamaha SG1000
Fender Jazzmaster
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
ilovemyJAG
227 IQ
Defintely an epi Sheraton. I've heard good things about the Peavey Jf1, those are pretty damn cheap.
Spud Spudly
Semi-hollow
318 IQ
I have a MIK 1999 Epi Sheraton which I love so I'll join the crowd and say get the Sheraton. I saw a 1989 MIK Sheraton on Craigslist the other day for $350 and it came with a new hard Epi case. If I didn't already own one I would have bought that one. The nice tobacco burst color too.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/2740623569.html
ANTHONYLBEST
Who did you think I was?
1,485 IQ
Thanks everyone, I think I will be keeping my eye out for a used Sheraton. How are the pickups? Do they hold up to a little bit of grit?

What do you think of the Riviera Custom p93?
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Limited-Riviera-Custom-Electric/dp/B001IAHN92/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE

Amp
Avid 11R
Last edited by ANTHONYLBEST at Dec 8, 2011,
Papabear505
199 IQ
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Thanks everyone, I think I will be keeping my eye out for a used Sheraton. How are the pickups? Do they hold up to a little bit of grit?

What do you think of the Riviera Custom p93?
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Limited-Riviera-Custom-Electric/dp/B001IAHN92/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

Best one of the bunch... it has P90's on it though.. single coils.. but I Love mine...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
jpnyc
Banned
1,023 IQ
Buy a used artcore with a case for $200–$350 on Craigslist. Use the rest of your money to buy and install your choice of pickups.
ANTHONYLBEST
Who did you think I was?
1,485 IQ
Quote by Papabear505
Best one of the bunch... it has P90's on it though.. single coils.. but I Love mine...

Do find the p90's in the Riviera to be more chimey or more gritty?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Papabear505
199 IQ
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Do find the p90's in the Riviera to be more chimey or more gritty?

The short answer is Yes... P90's, as you know, are single coils, and a very early design. very basic. so by themselves, they can be on the chimey side... However, the way the pickups and controls are wired, make it really versitile.

On the lead pickup, it's pretty chimey, even harsh... then you roll the middle pickup in a little and it mellows a bit... a litte more and it nibbles... all the way up has a little bite to it...

On the bridge pick up, it's mellow and full, then turn up the middle pickup a bit and it gets a bit gritty..

The 3 way switch controls the bridge and neck pickup, or both... the knobs are volume for all 3 pickups, and one master tone control... It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very versitile...

the Bigsby stays in tune, once the strings are stretched fully... a little graphite on the saddles and nut and it's fine.. If you lived closer, I'd let you play it... You'd wanna take it with you...

Here's a youtube video link of me playing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYzKXZXEs9w&feature =related

don't mind the mistakes... LOL and the recording quality isn't the greatest.. I'm playing through a 74 Twin Reverb, sitting on a 2x12 Bugera cab...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 9, 2011,
ANTHONYLBEST
Who did you think I was?
1,485 IQ
Man that thing sounds smoking. Its at the top of the list! Although did find the Gibson Midtown Custom today, that thing looks awesome too, but its 3x the price.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
dragonkidkoga
1,608 IQ
Quote by Papabear505

Here's a youtube video link of me playing it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYzKXZXEs9w&feature =related

don't mind the mistakes... LOL and the recording quality isn't the greatest.. I'm playing through a 74 Twin Reverb, sitting on a 2x12 Bugera cab...

HOLY FRICK! Do you guys do birthday parties
Papabear505
199 IQ
Birthdays, Weddings, parties, and BBQ's...

anything that pays money and is in driving distance...

(we all got day jobs... LOL)

Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Man that thing sounds smoking. Its at the top of the list! Although did find the Gibson Midtown Custom today, that thing looks awesome too, but its 3x the price.

Yea, I'm eyeballin' that Midtown too... but, if I'm paying that much money for something these days, I'd better be able to drive it to work...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Dec 9, 2011,
ANTHONYLBEST
Who did you think I was?
1,485 IQ
Shit man, I'd go anywhere for a gig in driving distance for free. I really need to find a band.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Papabear505
199 IQ
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Shit man, I'd go anywhere for a gig in driving distance for free. I really need to find a band.

I found all of these guys on Craigs list... when that video was taken, we'd only been together 4 months... LOL
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
deadgearsrising
Licensed Croweologist
574 IQ
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST

They're pretty good, especially for grit, but could probably do with an upgrade. I'm a huge Crowes fan as well, and my Sheraton can do most of their stuff pretty decently if you play around with the tone/volume knobs a bit. The really clean tones (stuff like Sister Luck, Waitin' Guilty, or Oh Josephine) are probably out of reach for it though. But again, new pickups wouldn't hurt.

One thing of note, though, is that Rich plays a tele on a fair bit of their stuff too, and the bridge P/U on one of those nails the tone well too (songs like Sting Me, Hotel Illness, Kicking My Heart Around, etc.). I mostly use my Carvin Strat/tele most of the time, and when I play Crowes stuff I can usually get the tone close enough to not bother switching. But that's mainly because I usually stick to their songs with less massive guitar tones.
Carvin Tele (11/21/11 )
Epi Sheraton II
Agile AL3100
Fender MIM Strat
Squier Vintage Modified Tele
Epiphone something or other acoustic

Last.FM
armycopter
10 IQ
I bought one of these 5 or 6 years ago. It's a great budget semi-hollow. Plays and sounds fantastic. I have it strung with 11's. Just a thought for you...

Silvertone Blues Master
Time Guitars Inc-Prime Time; Warmoth Custom Strat; LTD MH-350NT; Xaviere XV-560; Squier CV-50 Tele; Gibson LP Traditional Plus; Fender American Deluxe Strat; Fender American Special Strat; Martin Acoustic; Silvertone Blues Master ; Kramer Focus