Page 1 of 3
The post talking about GnR getting into the rock and roll hall of fame got me wondering, over the years Guns And Roses had gained a great deal of cult following and general love by metal fans. I do not dislike them in the least but i always wonder why they have such a following and Motley Crue doesn't? I felt that Motley Crue was as influential as GnR or any band from that era. I am not a fanboy of either band, it was just something i was curious about. So how did GnR raise and Motley Crue sink into relative obscurity?
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Because Motley Crue wore girls clothes.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I don't know, they're both shit.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

i love motley crue, but i'm pretty sure this is the reason...

In the 80s in young america, there was two people: punks, and rockers.(and then everyone else, but they don't matter)

Now, punk listened to punk, and rockers listened to rock. They did not mix. Until GnR, they were like the diplomatic band, everyone could dig them. So... there ya go.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Trowzaa

GnR is like fresh cow shit that has some uses like being a fertilizer, while Motley Crue is the white, dried dog shit that ruin your day when you step on them.
They're both still shit though.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
i love motley crue, but i'm pretty sure this is the reason...

In the 80s in young america, there was two people: punks, and rockers.(and then everyone else, but they don't matter)

Now, punk listened to punk, and rockers listened to rock. They did not mix. Until GnR, they were like the diplomatic band, everyone could dig them. So... there ya go.

This man is a prophet.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by Trowzaa

Only because Axl messed it all up.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Lets see here GnR slash is a ok guitar player um i thought axl was a lesbian when i saw him Ok now lets move on to motley who there singer is a fat douche k got that down ummmmm there guitar player looks like he's 5000 years catching up to Mr. Lou reed in age i guess well nikki sixx at least he doesn't look like a fat ass douche clown well all and all iron maiden wins end of story
Quote by Androidjoey
Lets see here GnR slash is a ok guitar player um i thought axl was a lesbian when i saw him Ok now lets move on to motley who there singer is a fat douche k got that down ummmmm there guitar player looks like he's 5000 years catching up to Mr. Lou reed in age i guess well nikki sixx at least he doesn't look like a fat ass douche clown well all and all iron maiden wins end of story

This.

Quote by zenbone
The post talking about GnR getting into the rock and roll hall of fame got me wondering, over the years Guns And Roses had gained a great deal of cult following and general love by metal fans. I do not dislike them in the least but i always wonder why they have such a following and Motley Crue doesn't? I felt that Motley Crue was as influential as GnR or any band from that era. I am not a fanboy of either band, it was just something i was curious about. So how did GnR raise and Motley Crue sink into relative obscurity?

The music didn't have a lasting impact. Crue was a lot more "cheese" than GN'R. Plus, Vince's voice live is really really bad. Even if you don't like Axl's voice, it sounds as it does on record as it does live ( for the most part. ) Vince's has always been off. I'd say that the Crue look and sound was "dated" to an extent, and Guns was a bit more "general rock n' roll". I'm a rapid GN'R fanboy though haha
axl sounds amazing on the live era disc, while I think he's mostly pretty ****ing annoying in teh studio. Motley crue? 80's legends.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by bastards
axl sounds amazing on the live era disc, while I think he's mostly pretty ****ing annoying in teh studio. Motley crue? 80's legends.

Not to mention Sixx's songwriting just wasn't great compared to Izzy/Axl duo. I mean "Too Fast To Fall In Love" "Live Wire" as compared to Brownstone or Rocket Queen. In the grand scheme of things Crue look like Poison, Warrant, Kixx, RATT, Whitesnake etc. GN'R pretty much sounded only like GN'R....

/rapid fanboyism
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Not to mention Sixx's songwriting just wasn't great compared to Izzy/Axl duo. I mean "Too Fast To Fall In Love" "Live Wire" as compared to Brownstone or Rocket Queen. In the grand scheme of things Crue look like Poison, Warrant, Kixx, RATT, Whitesnake etc. GN'R pretty much sounded only like GN'R....

/rapid fanboyism

I could listen to those last bands on a mix CD, but Motley Crue I could listen to an entire CD.

It just depends on your ears, and evidently more of them like GnR.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by bastards
I could listen to those last bands on a mix CD, but Motley Crue I could listen to an entire CD.

It just depends on your ears, and evidently more of them like GnR.

I can barely make it through a Motley CD. I guess I feel Guns was a bit more original. I can do all of The Crue's hit stuff, but nothing past that. But indeed it's different strokes for different folks.
Because Motley Crue are shit
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
GnR are overrated.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Trowzaa

Actually this.

But anyway, i think Guns'n'Roses originally had a very suggestive image when they played sweaty clubs in the 90s or whatevs, just look at the Welcome to the Jungle video to get the picture.
Now that i think about it, Welcome to the Jungle is their only real claim to fame.

Wow they suck.
^ Yea that chocolate rain song was pretty catchy.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I really wish people would stop talking about horrible 80's rock bands that nobody cares about anymore.

EDIT: actually, I really wish people would stop talking about 80's rock bands, period.
Only good thing about the eighties were the Butthole Surfers.
People find that hard to take seriously though
Quote by Trowzaa

this is the response you really need
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
This is a weird question, and honestly a musical anomally. I'm more of a Metal/Thrash guy myself, so you'd think I'd default to GnR because of their arguably heavier and more rock based sound but... Yeah, most people look up to GnR like legends and IMO they just weren't.

At this point in time, thanks to Guitar Hero 3 almost solely, everyone and their fairy god parents knows atleast Slash, much less Axle.... But who knows jacksh!t about that abomination Chinese Democracy, or any of the other bandmembers? In fact, who can name more than 3 songs by GnR that aren't Jungle, "Paradise City" or "Knockin' on Heavens Door?" The only other bandmember I even know is Buckethead because I was curious and read a GuitarWorld feature on GnR. Some legends...

And its like some one else said, their only real claim to fame was Welcome to the Jungle and a bunch of really overrated and annoying songs, which I can only tell apart by loathingly waiting for "hai... hai... hai hai yeah!"

Motley Crue on the other hand, I dunno... I honestly don't know why they didn't become the "legends." Their music was always pretty consistent in sound and clever, not deviously technically complex but always gets me rocking to the radio and lead footing in the car. It's odd though because IMO Motley sounds much akin in sound/genre/what have you to Van Halen, which everybody absolutely praised at the time.

But speaking of originality in sound, okay... Maybe Crue was a little less original but GnR was original in much the same way as Nirvana or Radiohead were/are original in their day. Just moaning incoherent lyrics lazily and wailing away at "Guitar Playing for Dummies" chord progressions, and GnR wasn't much better...

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Guns N' Roses had
some really catchy, memorable songs.

Motley Crue, not really.

This is the most backwards statement I've read all day.

Quote by Basti95
Only good thing about the eighties were the Butthole Surfers.
People find that hard to take seriously though

Warden: There is no moral orders as pure as this storm.
There's no moral order at all.
There's just this:
Can my violence conquer yours?

-Shutter Island
^ Except Radiohead are in no way on the same level as GnR or Nirvana

and Buckethead...wat

But if you listen to the BHS all is forgiven
Quote by CraZyB0y
In fact, who can name more than 3 songs by GnR that aren't Jungle, "Paradise City" or "Knockin' on Heavens Door?

Errr.... Sweet Child 'O Mine? Patience?

EDIT: those were just off the top of my head. The guy a few posts below me nailed it.
Last edited by stealstrings at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by stealstrings
Errr.... Sweet Child 'O Mine? Patience?

Sure, whatever...

Warden: There is no moral orders as pure as this storm.
There's no moral order at all.
There's just this:
Can my violence conquer yours?

-Shutter Island
Last edited by CraZyB0y at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by CraZyB0y
In fact, who can name more than 3 songs by GnR that aren't Jungle, "Paradise City" or "Knockin' on Heavens Door?"

Just off the top of my head

"November Rain"
"Estranged"
"Coma"
"14 Years"
"Out to Get Me"
"You're Crazy"
"Get in the Ring"
"So Fine"
"The Garden"
"Garden of Eden"
"Bad Obsession"