Recently I made a significant change to my daily guitar ritual, now that I can play all the segovian 2 or 3 octave (but "in position") permutations of Major/Melodic Western Scales, I have moved on to a daily grind of all seven 3 note per string Major minor scales patterns in each key (each pattern starts on a different scale degree on low E-string) I try not to use slides when Frank Gambal pickin through these (I am tempted to insert slides into these to accomodate my desires for left hand comfort~but I realize that that I need to get better @ playing "out of position") Since I am accustomed to 8+ hours a day of playing/practicing, the bizzare sensations of numbness.tinglyness that I have recently started experiencing (which in particular, seems to be centralized in my pointer finger on my fretting hand) has been getting in the way of my daily guitar regiment. Is this phenominon anything that I should be freaking out about or is it normal considering the new territory I am immersing myself in w/ the "out of position" playing or all the Major/minor scales?
That doesn't sound good to me to be honest. You say you're normally practising this much but the problem has only started with these scales?

I would suspect you're fretting too hard and/or your posture is a little off. Your wrist should be fairly straight at all times. (lower frets and lower strings on high frets excepted )
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
Recently I made a significant change to my daily guitar ritual, now that I can play all the segovian 2 or 3 octave (but "in position") permutations of Major/Melodic Western Scales, I have moved on to a daily grind of all seven 3 note per string Major minor scales patterns in each key (each pattern starts on a different scale degree on low E-string) I try not to use slides when Frank Gambal pickin through these (I am tempted to insert slides into these to accomodate my desires for left hand comfort~but I realize that that I need to get better @ playing "out of position") Since I am accustomed to 8+ hours a day of playing/practicing, the bizzare sensations of numbness.tinglyness that I have recently started experiencing (which in particular, seems to be centralized in my pointer finger on my fretting hand) has been getting in the way of my daily guitar regiment. Is this phenominon anything that I should be freaking out about or is it normal considering the new territory I am immersing myself in w/ the "out of position" playing or all the Major/minor scales?

Firstly, what do you mean by "out of position"? I'm assuming that you mean "where your hand isn't directly in line with the fretboard", i.e. you have to angle it somewhat. It is very odd that this would appear in your "pointing finger" (I assume you mean index finger); that's usually the finger with the least trouble. I agree with Freepower in that you're probably fretting too hard.

The best way to see if/what is wrong with your technique that's causing it is to slow right down and see exactly what point you start to feel uncomfortable. I had something similar recently and it turned out it was actually happening when I lifted my little finger (as in I wasn't fretting too hard but un-fretting too hard). Best way to combat this sort of thing is to work really slowly on finger independence. If the problem doesn't occur at really slow speeds, it means you're playing faster than you are ready for and you just need to slow it down. If it does, even slightly (often technique problems are amplified by speed) then there's something fundamentally wrong with the way you're using your left hand, and you need to find out what it is.

Just as an aside, but you probably haven't had many responses because your initial post is quite difficult to read. Not trying to be rude, I'm just saying - it helps if you break down what you're saying into paragraphs as people often see that it's a large jumbled paragraph and don't bother reading it.

Quote by Freepower
I would suspect you're fretting too hard and/or your posture is a little off. Your wrist should be fairly straight at all times. (lower frets and lower strings on high frets excepted )

Good to know
ESP Horizon FR II (EMG) / Ibanez Prestige RG1570 (DiMarzio Crunch Lab & LiquiFire pickups)
Last edited by llBlackenedll at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by DiabolusMusica5
Since I am accustomed to 8+ hours a day of playing/practicing, the bizzare sensations of numbness.tinglyness that I have recently started experiencing (which in particular, seems to be centralized in my pointer finger on my fretting hand) has been getting in the way of my daily guitar regiment. Is this phenominon anything that I should be freaking out about or is it normal considering the new territory I am immersing myself in

You should be concerned about this...

Numbness, tingles, etc. are signs of nerve issues. There's probably something about your technique that is cutting off some sort of signal or vessel.

If you're practicing 8+ hours a day you are obviously serious about music...so don't hurt yourself!

It can be surprisingly easy to cause permanent damage from just a short stint of playing with these kinds of sensations.

Do you have a teacher? You might run this problem by them first, asking them to critique your technique and hand positions.

As was mentioned by previous posters, your fret-hand wrist should be close to straight most of the time and definitely shouldn't bend more than about 25 degrees.

I've seen a couple of very talented guitar players cause serious damage to their wrists by ignoring these kinds of sensations...to the point that they have to wear a wrist brace much of the time now and are limited to only playing a couple hours per day, max.

Do you feel the sensations throughout your practice sessions or just towards the end? If it's just toward the end you might want to cut down on practice time a little.