Currently, I'm looking at getting a new guitar for Christmas, as I only have one starter guitar. The guitar I was looking at is a Schecter Omen-7, as it fulfills my desire for a 7-string (and greater flexibility as to what tunings I can attain) whilst also being affordable. At the same time, I've also set my heart on a Peavey Vypyr 30 amplifier, but as I'm unemployed, I rely on pocket money and Christmas money, and my parents are having troubles with their investment property, so money could be a little tight this Christmas; basically, the guitar would've been the only major present I'll get, with a few smaller stocking fillers (books and DVD's and the like). I chose the Omen because it was the affordable, low-budget seven-string, but I would've liked to get a Damien because of the EMG pickups (even though they aren't 707's, but they're still EMG's and better than the Schecter Diamond Plus single coils, no?), but the Damien was just out of my savings reach. I have almost enough to buy a Vypyr 30 amp on ebay out of my own money for Christmas this year (part of the plan in mum's eyes was that I would pay as much for the guitar as I could and she'd contribute the rest). I've heard people say that when they're choosing between a guitar and an amp, they'd get the amp first and guitar later, so there's that weighing on my mind.

Essentially, it all boils down to this:

- The Schecter Omen-7 is a low-end model that cost $529. Saving for two EMG 707 or Seymour Duncan 7-string pickups would add approximately another $200-$300, plus the cost of getting them installed by a technician, which would mean I'd end up spending between $800-$1000 on the guitar by the time I'd finished refining it.
- The Schecter Damien-7 costs $899, comes with EMG pickups installed (but not the 707's), which is potentially only about $100 less, the same or even less than buying upgrade pickups and having them installed on the Omen.
- I can almost afford the Peavey Vypyr 30 amp off my own back (it costs $299 from the seller I found and I have about $240, and as it's a modelling amp, it would save me buying pedals (I've been weighing up two or three).
- I've seen people say they'd rather buy a half-decent amp and wait for another guitar.
- I have one guitar, an imitation Strat, but I like to play things from Standard to Drop B, plus I have songs I'd like to play in tunings as low as Drop G#, and the seven-string would allow to play the lower tunings and the seven-string stuff, while having strings light enough to playing Standard to Drop C or B on the other.

So what do you guys think?

Is it worth buying the Omen now, saving for the pickups and the amp afterwards and end up spending the equivalent to the or more than the cost of the Damien on improving the Omen?

Should I buy the amp now and either then save for the Damien or the Omen and the pickups?

My saving skills are normally lousy, but I've got a lot better, and there'll be added Christmas money to kick-start saving for the next thing.

What should I do? I'd really appreciate some guidance, thanks heaps for your time
What amp are you playing through now? If your amp is truly atrocious you won't be doing your old guitar or your potential new guitar any favours. If your amp is alright then why not get a new guitar now and save the amp for later.

Personally I'm a big fan of new guitars. They make you want to play more, more so than a new amp or new pedals do. I'd also rather play a nice guitar through a shit amp than a shit guitar through a nice amp. But that's just me.
Quote by shmeegle
What amp are you playing through now? If your amp is truly atrocious you won't be doing your old guitar or your potential new guitar any favours. If your amp is alright then why not get a new guitar now and save the amp for later.

Personally I'm a big fan of new guitars. They make you want to play more, more so than a new amp or new pedals do. I'd also rather play a nice guitar through a shit amp than a shit guitar through a nice amp. But that's just me.

What this guy is trying to say is, you need a new amp TS.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by sam b

tl;dr?

Goodness Sam. I don't usually laugh at these dancing tldr gifs, but this one's amazing!
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Holy shit TS do you really expect me to read all that,

clearly you have great expectations of me TS.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
sounds like you need the new guitar

do you need those expensive pickups?
-you'll probably be happy with the stock ones for a while
-install them yourself if you really need them, what's all this "cost of getting them installed by a technician" bs?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
^ I was gonna say this too. Why are the EMGs so important? I'd be sketchy about installing them myself, but only because I've never done it before, or soldered anything. Ever. If you did get 'em surely you know a friend who plays who could do it for you. Or just google/youtube it. Many guides available online.

Also, is everyone borderline retarded? Reading 2 paragraphs surely isn't going to make your brain implode. wouldn't kill you to help someone out.
Quote by shmeegle
^ I was gonna say this too. Why are the EMGs so important? I'd be sketchy about installing them myself, but only because I've never done it before, or soldered anything. Ever. If you did get 'em surely you know a friend who plays who could do it for you. Or just google/youtube it. Many guides available online.

Also, is everyone borderline retarded? Reading 2 paragraphs surely isn't going to make your brain implode. wouldn't kill you to help someone out.

EMG's aren't really that important, I'm just told they're better than single coils, and the buzzing annoys the hell out of me on the guitar I have. I just read about the modelling amps' inability to handle pedals on top of their effects, so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to use a noise suppressor with the amp. I have a heavy distortion pedal, and I wanted to get the Digitech Death Metal and a noise suppressor pedal, but I saw the Vypyr 30 and figured I may as get more power and more effects for the cost of having 2 or 3 individual pedals. Realistically, as long as the single coils don't buzz too much, I'm more than happy with the stock pickups; I'm just always happy to find a way to cut it out! I've never soldered anything either, which is where the technician thing came in (I'd much rather pay someone who knows what they're doing than stuff it up myself for free).

Also, appreciate the second bit, would rather help than sarchasm :S
Quote by shmeegle

I'm playing through a cheap 10W Legacy amp, which serves the purpose of amplifying the guitar, but doesn't have any effects or anything like that. I just can't resist the glowing lights and flashy effects of the Vypyr, little technology ***** I am. I take your point though, and I've got rellies who've decided to just give me money for christmas instead of trawling for gifts, so I probably won't take that long to save for the amp after chrissie
What's your guitar like? If it's just the tuning issue you're worried about, the right gauge strings and a quick adjustment and it'll probably take lowered tunings.

If your guitar plays fine and feels fine but sounds like absolute shit through the amp, then get a new amp.

If your guitar feels like shit and plays like shit then get a new guitar and get the amp later.

Weigh the two against each other and base your decision on that!
yeah, true. I don't have an indepth knowledge of how guitars sound, so to me, it sounds like a guitar. I play metal, so I'd like a bit more crunch, but to be honest, there's so much buzz from the pickups on it, I can't really tell what it sounds like sometimes, especially when I don't have headphones in :S it handles Standard through to Drop B fine, it probably needs a truss rod adjustment though, as I've gone from the factory strings to Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom's to Power Slinkies to Beefy Slinkies (although when I get the new guitar, I'll probably get Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms for Standard though Drop C, or just stick with Beefy Slinkies, I like them for Standard through Drop B). I'm basically a casual player who doesn't play freaky lead shit, so it's more my fingers that make it difficult to play (I'd better start using my Jamplay membership before it expires!), so the guitar plays perfectly ok. The guitar and amp are good enough, I'm just keen to upgrade. I think I'll get the Omen-7 guitar and a noise suppressor pedal for the current amp, and then the Vypyr amp, with Christmas money and all that to consider, it won't be too long after Christmas before I can get the amp anyway
Quote by staceap
yeah, true. I don't have an indepth knowledge of how guitars sound, so to me, it sounds like a guitar. I play metal, so I'd like a bit more crunch, but to be honest, there's so much buzz from the pickups on it, I can't really tell what it sounds like sometimes, especially when I don't have headphones in :S it handles Standard through to Drop B fine, it probably needs a truss rod adjustment though, as I've gone from the factory strings to Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom's to Power Slinkies to Beefy Slinkies (although when I get the new guitar, I'll probably get Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms for Standard though Drop C, or just stick with Beefy Slinkies, I like them for Standard through Drop B). I'm basically a casual player who doesn't play freaky lead shit, so it's more my fingers that make it difficult to play (I'd better start using my Jamplay membership before it expires!), so the guitar plays perfectly ok. The guitar and amp are good enough, I'm just keen to upgrade. I think I'll get the Omen-7 guitar and a noise suppressor pedal for the current amp, and then the Vypyr amp, with Christmas money and all that to consider, it won't be too long after Christmas before I can get the amp anyway

Sorry, I don't read walls of text, maybe you should learn2parragraph or something

Sorry I couldn't help you.
dude, I'm one of the top English students in my school, I know how to paragraph. Maybe I just didn't think to there, big deal. Sorry I didn't spell it out for you, I'll remember that for future reference.
Quote by staceap
dude, I'm one of the top English students in my school, I know how to paragraph. Maybe I just didn't think to there, big deal. Sorry I didn't spell it out for you, I'll remember that for future reference.

Thanks, it's kinda hard to keep focus reading something like that, I would greatly appreciate it.
Quote by staceap
EMG's aren't really that important, I'm just told they're better than single coils, and the buzzing annoys the hell out of me on the guitar I have.

Passive humbuckers then. EMG's are good, but I really, really don't like active pickups. A lot of people don't.
They sound like ass with clean tones, saturate the gain so much it sounds like fizz and there's the battery to worry about. Get some Seymour Duncan Blackouts, EMG HZs or if you really want the boss, Bill Lawrence L500XLs.
Single coils for most modern metal won't serve.
If the amp is simply serving to make you play louder, get the guitar and some modelling software (Amplitube/Revalver etc) on your computer and play through that until you've saved up for the guitar. If you're gigging, the amp is the highest priority.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Passive humbuckers then. EMG's are good, but I really, really don't like active pickups. A lot of people don't.
They sound like ass with clean tones, saturate the gain so much it sounds like fizz and there's the battery to worry about. Get some Seymour Duncan Blackouts, EMG HZs or if you really want the boss, Bill Lawrence L500XLs.
Single coils for most modern metal won't serve.
If the amp is simply serving to make you play louder, get the guitar and some modelling software (Amplitube/Revalver etc) on your computer and play through that until you've saved up for the guitar. If you're gigging, the amp is the highest priority.

Nah, no gigging for me, there might be a one-off thing for high-school graduation but I'm a bedroom player

I was looking at either 707's or 7-string Blackouts, the Blackouts were way easier to get ahold of on ebay. Would I need Phase 1 or 2?
Wouldn't like to say what the difference is, sorry.
Have a look around for some descriptions, they're probably just styled after different pickups and sound a bit different. Just a matter of choice really.
From the Seymour Duncan website:

There are two versions of 7-string Blackouts: Phase I and Phase II. Phase I Blackouts are a direct retrofit for most passive 7-string humbuckers, including those by Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio®. Phase II Blackouts are a direct retrofit for the EMG® 707 humbucker.

Presumably that means the Phase 1 are passive and the Phase 2's are active?
No they're both the active ones. The EMG 707s are active and the only 7 string passives that come to mind are the EMG HZ7s, so I guess the Phase Is would sound a bit more natural.
You'd probably get a more useful answer in the GG&A forum, I'm not too knowledgeable on pickups.