Hello everyone

This is my first post here, hopefully I am planning to be a part of the community a lot more. I just beginning to play electric guitar and was looking at cheap but good guitars. I couldn't decide between the following two and I would like to know what you think. Has anyone owned any of these ?

Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul Electric Guitar
(I will probably get the black or white one)
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Collection-Electric-Sunburst/dp/B0002CZUV0/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1320461157&sr=1-2&tag=rnwff-20

Squier by Fender BulletStrat w/Trem, Brown Sunburst
http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-BulletStrat-Brown-Sunburst/dp/B001L8NFZW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?&tag=rnwff-20

Thank you in advance
Well, that would depend on what kind of music you want to play, but I would say that the Squier would be the most versitile of the two. They're both good starter instruments.

Welcome to UG...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Depends on the music who wanna play. I would take the Epiphone if you wanna play rock.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Depends on what you play or what you want to play, the strat will give you a more versatile range of sounds and will probably be easier to play as a beginner so out of the two I'd go for that. Although the yamaha pacifia is also a good starting guitar so have a look at that
Thank you for quick answers. I will definitely look in to the yamaha.

I am interested in playing more Metal rhythm/solo and blues. I have some classical experience so not a complete new beginner
yamaha pacifica 112v? if you already play, it probably makes more sense to spend a little more to get something which is reasonably decent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm a little biased because i'm such a fan of the les paul style. I owned a special II and it actually sounded more or less like a les paul should. Don't expect magic out of it, but for the price it's not so bad.
Quote by sunnetchi
Hello everyone

This is my first post here, hopefully I am planning to be a part of the community a lot more. I just beginning to play electric guitar and was looking at cheap but good guitars. I couldn't decide between the following two and I would like to know what you think. Has anyone owned any of these ?

Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul Electric Guitar
(I will probably get the black or white one)
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Collection-Electric-Sunburst/dp/B0002CZUV0/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1320461157&sr=1-2&tag=rnwff-20

Squier by Fender BulletStrat w/Trem, Brown Sunburst
http://www.amazon.com/Squier-Fender-BulletStrat-Brown-Sunburst/dp/B001L8NFZW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?&tag=rnwff-20

Thank you in advance

Honestly, they're both pretty dreadful guitars. Cheap, nasty wood, crappy hardware and noisy, squealy pickups. It doesn't matter as much when you're just starting out, but for the same price you can get a much higher quality instrument that will last you a lot longer.

Agile AL-2000 3TS ($180)

Xaviere XV-510 ($200)

I've had a good look at other stuff in the price range but to be honest, pretty much everything else is cheap crap made of basswood. I don't now how those Xaviere guitars can pull off solid mahogany and quilted maple with GFS pickups and hardware for $200....but I wish they sold em in the UK!
A couple things to note:

The Les Paul is going to be heavy and is most likely not going to be as comfortable to play, but it does have the humbuckers, will have better sustain and will stay in tune a lot better than the Squier.

The Squier is a much lighter guitar, and having played both body styles extensively, the Fender is conclusively a lot more comfortable to play. Better neck, more accessible upper frets, perfect forearm contour and bridge placement for resting the hand, sits on the kneed better, and has a much wider range of tones than the Epi. The downside is that it's a tremolo bridge, and a trem bridge on a cheap, basement level guitar is just going to be a disaster unless you either screw it down or get one without the trem.

My recommendation: get a Squier with a hardtail bridge. No tremolo bridges in electric guitars until you hit the $600-$800+++ range
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
A couple things to note:

The Les Paul is going to be heavy and is most likely not going to be as comfortable to play, but it does have the humbuckers, will have better sustain and will stay in tune a lot better than the Squier.

The Squier is a much lighter guitar, and having played both body styles extensively, the Fender is conclusively a lot more comfortable to play. Better neck, more accessible upper frets, perfect forearm contour and bridge placement for resting the hand, sits on the kneed better, and has a much wider range of tones than the Epi. The downside is that it's a tremolo bridge, and a trem bridge on a cheap, basement level guitar is just going to be a disaster unless you either screw it down or get one without the trem.

So true.

No tremolo bridges in electric guitars until you hit the $600-$800+++ range

The numbers are arguable, but the general idea is correct. No tremolos one cheaper instruments. I'd suggest to TS getting a Squier Telecaster, but they're not for everyone.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
I really like that Agile. It seems a lot better compared to the epiphone on first post.

I saw some videos of the china made Gibson les paul they sound a lot better than expected but I know you never know what you are gonna get. Not to mention it is illegal.

How would you go about comparing the Agile and Xavier ? No need to get in detail just which one has the better edge.
Quote by sunnetchi
I really like that Agile. It seems a lot better compared to the epiphone on first post.

I saw some videos of the china made Gibson les paul they sound a lot better than expected but I know you never know what you are gonna get. Not to mention it is illegal.

How would you go about comparing the Agile and Xavier ? No need to get in detail just which one has the better edge.

Agiles are better but both are solid guitars that are much better than the squier and lp special ll.
Quote by kyle62
Honestly, they're both pretty dreadful guitars. Cheap, nasty wood, crappy hardware and noisy, squealy pickups. It doesn't matter as much when you're just starting out, but for the same price you can get a much higher quality instrument that will last you a lot longer.

Agile AL-2000 3TS ($180)

Xaviere XV-510 ($200)

I've had a good look at other stuff in the price range but to be honest, pretty much everything else is cheap crap made of basswood. I don't now how those Xaviere guitars can pull off solid mahogany and quilted maple with GFS pickups and hardware for $200....but I wish they sold em in the UK!

^best advice here.

the two guitars you listed aren't very good at all. not in any way really. they are poorly designed, poorly made, use poor parts and ultimately don't feel or sound much better than playing one of those wire egg slicers

agile would be an excellent place to look. they are generally reasonably good quality, and they definitely offer some of the best bang for buck around.
I just picked up an Xaviere XV-510 at a local pawn shop for $50. I had my neighbor who builds and repairs guitars give it good going over, adjust bridge, intonation, etc. and this guitar is just awsome. I would have paid $200 for it knowing what I know now. I live 3 miles from the Great Great House of Guitars in Rochester NY and I go there quite frequently to try out different equipment and being on a budget they tend to push you towards the cheap chinese stuff. I bought my first electric guitar from them, a Fender Squire. I just got lucky by stopping in the pawn shop and seeing the Xaviere, I figured what the hell do I have to lose, If i don't like it I would sell it for more on an auction site. I will use the hell out of this guitar for years to come.