Hi all,

due to my growing guitar numbers going to to buy a multi stand (http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/chord-5-guitar-rack-stand--79499)

However, I hear the cheap ones can do bad things to neck, especially nitro finishs.
1. Does anyone know if this make (Chord) is ok?
2. Are nitro finish the type you find on acoustics and fender maple necks?

Thanks,

Any recomendations on other stands are welcome.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
That one looks way too cheap to be good... I'd reccomend this one: http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_hcgs525b.htm
I don't have it, but I have only good experiences of Hercules Stands. Also it should be suitable for guitars with nitro cellulose finish because thomann usually tells that in the description, not really sure though so you should check it out.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
You just do. Its a spec.

I believe most guitars today are polyurathane finishes (poly for short) while very few people still use nitrocellulose (nitro). The reason being is that nitro needs to be really thick, it takes longer to dry and it need more coats, so in every aspect of manufacturing, it costs more. This is why as far as i know gibson does it, and then high end fenders and PRSs and high end acoustics are still finished in nitro while most other stuff is poly.

What cheap stands do to a nitro is make it turn orange which is especially bad on white guitars.

I personaly use a Hercules guitar stand for my gibson flying V faded, but the nitro coat is so thin that i cant guarantee that itll work for more solid coats like on a gibson les paul and such.

I think ou want medical grade materials on the parts holding the guitar but i could be wrong.

I actually almost bought a gibson lea paul custom so this is why i know all thos about finihing coats, if not i wouldve never learned all this stuff
Quote by Concurssi
Since were talking about stands, I've been thinking about buying this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_17540.htm
But then there's this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_stands_gs_415_b.htm
which seems safer.
I've seen some people say that they prefer the first kind of stand, but I don't understand why.

get the hercules. you never know when you might have a little nap whilst putting your guitar back and it'll just fall.
Quote by Seanthesheep
You just do. Its a spec.

I believe most guitars today are polyurathane finishes (poly for short) while very few people still use nitrocellulose (nitro). The reason being is that nitro needs to be really thick, it takes longer to dry and it need more coats, so in every aspect of manufacturing, it costs more. This is why as far as i know gibson does it, and then high end fenders and PRSs and high end acoustics are still finished in nitro while most other stuff is poly.

What cheap stands do to a nitro is make it turn orange which is especially bad on white guitars.

I personaly use a Hercules guitar stand for my gibson flying V faded, but the nitro coat is so thin that i cant guarantee that itll work for more solid coats like on a gibson les paul and such.

I think ou want medical grade materials on the parts holding the guitar but i could be wrong.

I actually almost bought a gibson lea paul custom so this is why i know all thos about finihing coats, if not i wouldve never learned all this stuff

Interesting...
What type of finish would you think is on this Gibson https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1475800 do you think it would be safe?
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by Concurssi
Since were talking about stands, I've been thinking about buying this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_17540.htm
But then there's this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_stands_gs_415_b.htm
which seems safer.
I've seen some people say that they prefer the first kind of stand, but I don't understand why.

I have one of the first one, wouldnt recommend it had to put foam on the top as it was scratching guitars, the second stand takes up more room but is good, hercules stuff is pricy though
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by gerrywm
I have one of the first one, wouldnt recommend it had to put foam on the top as it was scratching guitars, the second stand takes up more room but is good, hercules stuff is pricy though

It's not such a bad price hike, considering I'm probably going to order about 140€ worth of stuff from there anyhow.
Quote by henrihell
That one looks way too cheap to be good... I'd reccomend this one: http://www.thomann.de/gb/hercules_hcgs525b.htm
I don't have it, but I have only good experiences of Hercules Stands. Also it should be suitable for guitars with nitro cellulose finish because thomann usually tells that in the description, not really sure though so you should check it out.

That looks the business but funds are tight at the moment, I have one of their fold up stands and its great and all their gear is built like a tank, pricey though
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Id say with like 90% certainty that you LP is a nitro guitar and you should probably go hercules for that guitar, or something else high quality.

Think of it this way you have a gibson LP, those arent cheap. Dont cheap out on something simple like a stand. So yea, my own personal reccomendation is the hercules stand
Quote by Concurssi
It's not such a bad price hike, considering I'm probably going to order about 140€ worth of stuff from there anyhow.

actually 28 is good, i got mixed up with the multi stand which was 85, my bad, if you pick other stuff (strings tubes picks) i think shipping is free over 200 euro, you are going to end up buying some of that stuff any way so saves +15 quid
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by gerrywm
actually 28 is good, i got mixed up with the multi stand which was 85, my bad, if you pick other stuff (strings tubes picks) i think shipping is free over 200 euro, you are going to end up buying some of that stuff any way so saves +15 quid

Shipping is free for orders that go over 398€
If I had that much money right now I'd forget about the stand and buy myself a new amp.
Quote by Concurssi
Shipping is free for orders that go over 398€
If I had that much money right now I'd forget about the stand and buy myself a new amp.

Ouch!!! To Ireland its over €199!!! ha ha I retract my previous statement!!!
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by Seanthesheep
Id say with like 90% certainty that you LP is a nitro guitar and you should probably go hercules for that guitar, or something else high quality.

Think of it this way you have a gibson LP, those arent cheap. Dont cheap out on something simple like a stand. So yea, my own personal reccomendation is the hercules stand

Just checked it out it has a nitro finish, I definatly agree with you, I want to look after this properly, no harm in trying to do so at as low a cost as possible. Current band requires a couple of instruments every gig, so using single stands has become a problem

Is there any material suitable for covering the foam to provide added protection just in case? The cheap one is €45 (local seller) and the hercules one is €85 plus €15 shipping.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
Quote by gerrywm
Hi all,

due to my growing guitar numbers going to to buy a multi stand (http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/chord-5-guitar-rack-stand--79499)

However, I hear the cheap ones can do bad things to neck, especially nitro finishs.
1. Does anyone know if this make (Chord) is ok?
2. Are nitro finish the type you find on acoustics and fender maple necks?

Thanks,

Any recomendations on other stands are welcome.

I don't think that foam looks like the stuff that'll damage a nitro finish but it's hard to tell. Just buy it, cut up an old cotton t-shirt into strips and wrap/glue them around the parts that touch the guitar.

Going by your sig, the only nitro-finished guitar you've got is your Gibson.
Quote by kyle62
I don't think that foam looks like the stuff that'll damage a nitro finish but it's hard to tell. Just buy it, cut up an old cotton t-shirt into strips and wrap/glue them around the parts that touch the guitar.

Going by your sig, the only nitro-finished guitar you've got is your Gibson.

That sounds like a plan!

I have an acoustic and a bouzouki as well not mentioned

Thanks for the advice
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
djm music has an absolute bunch of stands. it has a 7-stand which is cheaper than that 5-stand. I haven't tried it, though, and maybe its postage to ireland is more than dv's

Quote by Roc8995
Anything cotton will work. Handkerchief, washcloth, bandana, sock.

+1

those type of stands are relatively easy to just wrap cotton round (i cut up cloth hankies and sellotape them to it), which is the safe way to do it. rather than trusting it's nitro safe if they say it is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
djm music has an absolute bunch of stands. it has a 7-stand which is cheaper than that 5-stand. I haven't tried it, though, and maybe its postage to ireland is more than dv's

+1

those type of stands are relatively easy to just wrap cotton round (i cut up cloth hankies and sellotape them to it), which is the safe way to do it. rather than trusting it's nitro safe if they say it is.

Hi Dave, didnt recognise you with the new picture! Very festive!

I dont have enough room or instruments for the seven guitar stand!!

Cheap stand and butchering a few old tshirts seems to be the way to go so

Thanks all!!
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
Floor
Loop
Amp
^ thanks

the 7 one i mentioned (if i remember correctly) is only 6cm wider than the 5 one you're getting

maybe you have it down to the last cm, which is fair enough

http://www.djmmusic.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=GST107-07

that's the one i'm talking about. as i said, i haven't tried it (i mean to get one soon, but this is me, so don't hold your breath ), maybe the chord one's better
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?