My amp is a Randall NBking 112. It is a very nice amp and it has good metal sounds. But I wonder if you UGs know about what effects to use to get a better Metallica sound? I have seen BOSS effects like Metalcore and Metalzone but don't know what to choose.

I have an Eagle Strat with single coils so I don't get the "perfect" metallica sound anyway but I know I can get a better sound.

Suggestions?
Thoughts?
he uses the ibanez tube screamer, also he has emgs. those are probably the only two things he owns that a person of average economic means could aspire to. other than that its all it the fingers.
Firstly, what Metallica sounds? Early and late Metallica are quite different.

Either way, I'd highly recommend getting a guitar with humbucker's as that will probably improve your metal tone much more than getting pedals at this point.
Metallica rarely uses effects. All of it comes from heavily distorted amps. If I were you I would start looking at a new guitar with a humbucker in the bridge, or replace your current bridge pup with a stacked single coil, or humbucker. EMG's would be preferred. Never played a NBking 112, let alone heard of it, would listen to sound clips but in a lecture. Don't scoop the mids to much. What a lot of people think is that the Metallica tone is all scooped for just highs and lows (which might be true for AJFA) but it won't sound good. Btw I really suggest not looking at Boss for distortion pedals, more so the metalzone and metalcore.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ nah if you have a good tube amp you're betting dialling in a good distortion on it, and then using an overdrive pedal to boost it further into more overdrive. try that.

putting a humbucker in the bridge of your strat (if you like it enough to do that) would help, too.

also lol at the wah suggestions. i love a good hammster piss-take.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ nah if you have a good tube amp you're betting dialling in a good distortion on it, and then using an overdrive pedal to boost it further into more overdrive. try that.

putting a humbucker in the bridge of your strat (if you like it enough to do that) would help, too.

also lol at the wah suggestions. i love a good hammster piss-take.

Haha!
Thank u for answers. Exactly what I needed.
no problem
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Boss CE-2: chorus used on "One", "Master of Puppets", etc.
Dunlop Kirk Hammett crybaby
Distortion pedal (Boss MT-2, Boss DS-1, Boss MD-2 etc.)
Kirks also used a phase 90 on his pedalboard

Amp: Mesa Boogie dual rectifier

Just a list of some of Kirk/James' gear, the important parts
Which era are we talking about?
Kill 'Em All was a plexi boosted with a tubescreamer.
Ride the Lightning was a Plexi boosted with a TS into a Mesa power amp.
Master of Puppets and AJFA were a Mesa/Boogie Mark II C+
I think the Black album was the same as Master and AJFA, but I'm not 100% sure.
Saw a vid on youtube with one of the Blackstar distortion pedals though a clean channel. It did a pretty damn good job for a more modern Metallica tone. But I'm sure it wasn't a cheap pedal.

You won't be able to nail every album tone with a single amp, unless you go with a good modeling amp (vypyr 60). Or go with some sort of rack setup with a triaxis or go nuts with an axefx :P And if you're pockets are really deep, buy an amp for each era...tubescreamer + modded plexi, mark IIc and a 90s era dual rectifier.

What kind of budget do you have?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
Saw a vid on youtube with one of the Blackstar distortion pedals though a clean channel. It did a pretty damn good job for a more modern Metallica tone. But I'm sure it wasn't a cheap pedal.

You won't be able to nail every album tone with a single amp, unless you go with a good modeling amp (vypyr 60). Or go with some sort of rack setup with a triaxis or go nuts with an axefx :P And if you're pockets are really deep, buy an amp for each era...tubescreamer + modded plexi, mark IIc and a 90s era dual rectifier.

What kind of budget do you have?

BUDGET:
300-1500 norwegian kroner --> 50-250 USD

No problem to add some x-tra money.
The ajfa sound is what I'm mainly looking for but a great metal sound will do anyway
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff. will do some of the Metallica tones. it has a 3 band EQ which may help some if you do the AJFA thing. if you soop the mids on your amp then use the pedal to add some in to help you cut through more.