I bought my guitar used, and I don't know what the previous owner did to/with it, and it was sort of laying around for a year recently, unused.
I don't really know if there's anything wrong with it, but it could be because I've never had a guitar that has been recently setup, so I wouldn't really know.
Are there any sure signs that I should have it looked at?
Last edited by Concurssi at Dec 8, 2011,
Guitars only need setting up for two reason.

1. They are out of tune/incorrectly setup

2. You have a particular set up you prefere i.e string height etc.
Last edited by m33sta at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by m33sta
Firstly do you have a guitar tuner to check intonation?

Its not something that needs to go to the shop to be done but if that's out it may be a sign that there are other issues.

I don't have a tuner, I've always been tuning it by ear with this thing: http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/
How would one check the intonation with a tuner?

Edit: the string height seems to be pretty okay, though it could probably be a liiiitle bit lower, but it's not really too high or too low at the moment.
Without a tuner you cant

But if you did have one then play an open note and then the same string on the twelfth fret the note, they should be the same but one octave higher. Any difference and you would start with intonation.
Last edited by m33sta at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by Concurssi
I don't have a tuner, I've always been tuning it by ear with this thing: http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/tuner/
How would one check the intonation with a tuner?

Edit: the string height seems to be pretty okay, though it could probably be a liiiitle bit lower, but it's not really too high or too low at the moment.

String length is usually what messes intonation up. String height of more of a preference.
if you're not getting any fret buzz, and the guitar sounds and plays ok, you don't need a setup

a tuner would be a good investment though
Quote by m33sta
Without a tuner you cant

But if you did have one then play an open note and then the same string on the twelfth fret the note, they should be the same but one octave higher. Any difference and you would start with intonation.

Ah, I see.
I should be getting a tuner sometime soon, I'll make sure to check this out.
Quote by m33sta
String length is usually what messes intonation up. String height of more of a preference.

Yeah, by preference I might have them a little bit lower. They're fine on the lower frets, but around the 12th fret they start to get a bit higher than I'd like. But then again, it's probably one or the other, eh?
What about string buzzing? What does it mean when someone says their strings buzz?
I can get my open sixth string (and probably with some of the lower frets as well) to buzz if I play it hard enough, does that count as a buzz?
string buzz is when your string rubs up against a fret marker higher on the neck while you're playing a fret lower on the neck.

If you have to actually TRY to play hard enough to make the strings buzz, they're fine. If it happens when you're playing the way your normally would, something is off.
Hmmm I tried fretting the first fret of the sixth string, and I did get it to buzz just a little bit, and now that I tried it, this seems to carry quite far up the neck, and some distance on the fifth string as well.
I did have to pick quite hard, certainly harder than I usually would with my elegant and graceful style of picking ( ), but it wasn't all that hard.
Quote by Concurssi
I don't really know if there's anything wrong with it, but it could be because I've never had a guitar that has been recently setup, so I wouldn't really know.

If you don't have a problem with it, then no.
Quote by Concurssi
I bought my guitar used, and I don't know what the previous owner did to/with it, and it was sort of laying around for a year recently, unused.

i would do a tune up /set up .

every of my guitar i brought was taking to a tech and come out perfectly intonate /tune clean etc

it cant be bad .

Everytime i buy a guitar used ithe fisrst thing i do is bringing it to the tech .. because i know nothign in trust rod ajustment /tuning etc.. if you can do these thing by your own fine .. but i cant .

im getting an agile les paul in the mail in 3-4 days .. the first thing ill do is have a set up on it . doesnt matter if it cost 50-60 more .. the guitar is brand new .

MY luthier is a real pro and once told me that the foreign country instrument ( korea , china etc.. ) are often very good instrument BUT they somewhat lack in the final process ( good set up , fret polishing ) to save cost ( and also because the guitar travel far across the world ) . SO the set up /intonation and fret polishing of foreign import guitar is often necessary to fix up little thing and make it optimum . thats why luthier recommend that often even a brand new guitar can benefit from ajustmeent . the guitar are pile in trucks , backstore , plane and you expect a new guitar you got shipped to play wonderfully in tune /intonation when it get to your doorstep . It can .. but also may need a good set up .

the guitars that could benefit the most from a profesionnal set up by a luthier are often the lower end instrument . but people dont wanna pay 50-60 to have a 250-300 dollars guitar set up . seem kinda pointless to save money and spend it on a luthier . my luthier doesnt see much squier , made in mexico strat etc... . people who take care and does the annual set up of their guitar are people who have expensive guitar .. and does guitars often benefit less that a lower range instrument .

if that make any sense .

i bought my stratocaster hss u.s.a for 600 $ .. perfect condition but still felt something wasnt perfect with it in playability .. took it to my luthier and when i got it back .. the guitar was just amazing .. nothing to do with the previous feeling i had .

but again if you know how to adjust intonation , truss rod and stuff .. fine .. but i dont and dont wanna mess my guitars so a luthier come handy .

-Install Strings -Fret Polish

-Neck Adjustment -Fingerboard Clean-up & Re-Hydration

-Action Adjustment -Deep Electronic Clean-up

-Intonation Adjustment -Pickup Adjustment

-Radius Adjustment -Instrument Clean & Polish

-Nut Adjustment -Tuning Machines Adjustment

-Light Fret Level -Truss Rod Maintenance

= wonderful guitar
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by m33sta
Guitars only need setting up for two reason.

1. They are out of tune/incorrectly setup

2. You have a particular set up you prefere i.e string height etc.

It is actually also good to set up a guitar as the seasons change drastically.
Changes in truss rod movement, swelling of any wood or joints, corroded components etc can then be noted and changed if needed.
I personally perform a full 'setup' on my guitars every other string change - this could be something as small as altering the action height, to truss adjustment or bridge systems getting a rebuild to make sure parts don't seize or become damaged.
Can I just take the guitar in and ask them to check if anything should be adjusted or fixed, or do I have to know and name what I want done?

I've never taken a guitar in for a setup, and I don't want to look like a douche.
If it has never had a setup before, pop in and ask them to give it a setup.
Mention how you like your action, what you like the guitar to 'feel' like and what sort of player you are.
When performing setups i often do the setup to suit the player myself..so things like that can come in handy.

After this setup, learn to do your own (really easy when you get the hang of it!) and look after your guitar more personally.