Hey, so if this is in the wrong place lemme know, i dont really know my way around here yet (i only wandered the pit and the bands forums until a couple months back).

So i want to put new pickups into my schecter c-1, but im looking for a really specific sound...i dont know a whole lot about pickups, so bear with me. Basically, im NOT looking for bro0tal distortion. Hot, high output would be nice, but i dont necessarily have to have the typical metal tone.

Something *really* clear would be good, as the pickups in it now sound good, but are a tad muddy. The thing's also coil tapped so i dont know if that factors into anything--with new pickups, do i have to get ones that are able to be tapped, or am i giving up that ability altogether? I do want a good variety of tones, and with high gain or distortion they gotta scream like bitches.

Also is it possible to have something like a hot rails in the bridge, bkp aftermath in the bridge, and piezo acoustic somewhere in there too?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
If you want Clarity and don't really care about a metal distortion... Passive DiMarzios would be a good pick ( I don't use passive so I don't know any models ). I have to admit... I have a regular C-1 FR with the awful Duncan Designed active pickups and the Hellraiser model with EMGs. EMGs Are MUCH clearer. Don't let the Duncan Designed pickups fool you about how an active pickup sounds.
Quote by Acϵ♠
Hey, so if this is in the wrong place lemme know, i dont really know my way around here yet (i only wandered the pit and the bands forums until a couple months back).

So i want to put new pickups into my schecter c-1, but im looking for a really specific sound...i dont know a whole lot about pickups, so bear with me. Basically, im NOT looking for bro0tal distortion. Hot, high output would be nice, but i dont necessarily have to have the typical metal tone.

Something *really* clear would be good, as the pickups in it now sound good, but are a tad muddy. The thing's also coil tapped so i dont know if that factors into anything--with new pickups, do i have to get ones that are able to be tapped, or am i giving up that ability altogether? I do want a good variety of tones, and with high gain or distortion they gotta scream like bitches.

Also is it possible to have something like a hot rails in the bridge, bkp aftermath in the bridge, and piezo acoustic somewhere in there too?

Hate to be that guy but what amp are you using mate?

You might find that actually medium or lower output pups will help you retain clarity.

Well you cant have 2 bridge pups unless you have like an ESP SC500. Depends as to how much your willing to spend or if your bridge is modifiable to take piezo stuff, like an old Edge.

If not you can buy like the nano mag stuff, but its expensive and not that good.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0

You might find that actually medium or lower output pups will help you retain clarity.

Well you cant have 2 bridge pups unless you have like an ESP SC500. Depends as to how much your willing to spend or if your bridge is modifiable to take piezo stuff, like an old Edge.

If not you can buy like the nano mag stuff, but its expensive and not that good.

It depends what im playing, if im playing my rock stuff or occasional metal, then i use a buddy's JCM. If im playing for my blues/jazz band, i play through either the PA or this old Genz Benz bass amp with a pedal or two. Everything else from practice to other smaller gigs, which is probably what would matter the most, i have a kustom kga16. it's by no means a monster amp, but the celestion speaker makes it much more passable as a gigging amp than most other 15-18W amps.

So there would be no way to have a piezo pickup? What about instead of a humbucker in the bridge two parallel single coils (yeah yeah i know thats basically what a humbucker is)? Also, when i say i dont really need to get a metal tone, i dont need that ugly ibanez sound, but i still do want some crunch (Which i know is more amp than pickup).

Will i have to do a shit ton of rewiring for the coil taps?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Tom 1.0

Good point Tom. Your amp can definitely make a huge difference here.

OP, you can start your search on the Seymour Duncan website, they have lots of sound samples of their many and varied pickups.

I have also worked with the EMG 81/85 combo a few times. That pickup combo is particularly hot and they sound like crystal, but they also have good drive if you push them.
Almost any guitar can have a piezo fitted. Piezos are usually installed in the bridge. If your guitar has a common bridge type then you can often buy a bridge that has a piezo system already installed in it that will directly replace your existing bridge.
To install a piezo normally what it requires is you to drill a hole or holes so some wires can come from the bridge to the controls. One of your volume or tone controls will need to be turned into a volume control for the piezo and you'll need to find space for the preamp and battery, plus you'll need to replace the jack with a stereo one.

It's not actually that complicated and if you're changing the magnetic pickups anyway then changing one control and the jack isn't really any extra work. The key is having enough space for the amp/battery and that piezos can be very expensive. I have Graph Tech piezos installed on two guitars. Sounds good, were fairly easy to install but cost more than the other pickups did combined and I do miss having full volume and tone controls for the other pickups.

For your other pickups, if clarity is what you want then you should get low output pickups. If you ever need more distortion you can always put the gain up on your amp or buy an overdrive pedal. Metallica use low output pickups on a lot of their album recordings actually specifically because they give better clarity.

Coil taps are easy to wire. The only thing you need is a switch or push-pull pot for them and the pickup you want to tap needs to have four conductor wire. Almost all modern pickups have this. Lots of wiring guides on the Seymour Duncan website.
I would look at PAF pickups from duncan. As for a piezo, have you ever heard of a nanomag? They aren't exactly piezo, but they're similar and they sell them so that they install right under the neck.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by Acϵ♠
It depends what im playing, if im playing my rock stuff or occasional metal, then i use a buddy's JCM. If im playing for my blues/jazz band, i play through either the PA or this old Genz Benz bass amp with a pedal or two. Everything else from practice to other smaller gigs, which is probably what would matter the most, i have a kustom kga16. it's by no means a monster amp, but the celestion speaker makes it much more passable as a gigging amp than most other 15-18W amps.

So there would be no way to have a piezo pickup? What about instead of a humbucker in the bridge two parallel single coils (yeah yeah i know thats basically what a humbucker is)? Also, when i say i dont really need to get a metal tone, i dont need that ugly ibanez sound, but i still do want some crunch (Which i know is more amp than pickup).

Will i have to do a shit ton of rewiring for the coil taps?

JCM 800, 900, or 2000? It makes a difference.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Not sure, 4x12 cab with a head unit that fits right on top. Ill have to check next time im over there.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

So that JCM is a 900, and also i think i've settled on a Seymour Duncan P90 hot soapbar for the bridge, i love how it sounds clean. Now i just dont know what to stick in the bridge, i dont want any EMGs or anything like that, for some reason im still stuck on a BKP in that spot.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

You can't fit a P90 into that Schecter. Wrong dimensions. If you want a P90 sound in there you'll need to get one that is made to humbucker dimensions. Seymour Duncan, Bare Knuckle, Gibson, The Creamery, Tone Rider and Irongear all make pickups like that.

Also 'a BKP' doesn't say much. BKP are a brand, one that makes many, very different pickups. There's no use getting hung up on one brand if they don't make something suitable for you. Worry about getting the sound right, brand shouldn't be a concern.
Wood can be routed, can it not? And i like the bkp in the bridge, yesterday i spent a lot of time on youtube listening to samples of them. nailbombs sound great. now that being said, im very open to other pickups too, just so far what i like is the p90 and bkp combo.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

You can have the guitar routed to take a P90 as well but there'll be large gaps where the P90 doesn't fit properly. There's no point when you can just get a pickup that is a P90 in a humbucker size that won't require routing.

And again, I'm not syaing Bare Knuckle pickups are bad. It may even be that one of them is perfect for you. But you still shouldn't think about pickups in terms of brand. Pick a pickup that is wouldn't the way you need with the type of magnet you need. If you buy a pickup simply because it's from a particular brand then there's a good chance you'll be missing out on something more suitable. There's a thousand different pickups out there. If BK do a pickup that is perfect for you then great, go for it. Just make sure you actually talk about the pickup and not the brand. It makes it much more useful for other members who might be searching for info on a particular pickup and it cuts down on brand wars.