Ok so I would like to get some recording gear, but I have no clue where really to start or what I need. I dont have much money to spend so Im trying to find out what I want to get and then save for it so lower price ranges would be nice. Im wanting to mic my amp, its a Valveking 112 and Im playing an Ibanez S570. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

My Gear-
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM, First Act VW GarageMaster
Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
small audio interface (m-audio fast track), some kind of dynamic mic ( everyone will tell you to get an sm58, i personally think its the worst ****ing mic in the world, read a ton a reviews and get whats best for your price range, even the sm57a is loads better then the 58, both are around 100 bucks) then some sort of recording software, whatever you can afford I suppose. If u have an Apple, Logic Express is great and cheap (bout 120 for the express version) or theres Reaper, Audacity, Sonar, literally tons out there that are affordable
As well as considering an interface & software to record on your PC, it's also worth looking at getting a multitracker instead. They're purpose built for the job and include everything most people need apart from the microphones. Fostex, Tascam and Zoom all make good kit which is easy to use, and you can pick up some great deals on the used market.

Obviously all answers depend on your budget - how much are you looking at spending?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by sar8777
( everyone will tell you to get an sm58, i personally think its the worst ****ing mic in the world, read a ton a reviews and get whats best for your price range, even the sm57a is loads better then the 58

for recording an amp the sm57 is simply superior. but when it comes to recording vocals i heard the sm58 is better.

if you have the funds the m-audio fast track pro is the best choise i think for a good budget interface. little more expensive then the fast track but there are 2 mic ports (so you can double mic your amp) and a bunch of other added things. i read the sound quality is also better but i can't confirm that
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by GaryBillington

Obviously all answers depend on your budget - how much are you looking at spending?

Im hoping to spend under like $300 for mike and interface. I dont need stuff that is super awesome top quality and stuff because Im not really giging and doing pro recording. I would just like a nice little set up to get me by till the time comes where I may do that. I like the SM57 from the reviews Ive read it is a great little mic and the price is good. I also play keyboard and It would be nice if I could plug my keyboard into the interface too. Would the M-Audio MobilePre mk II or the M-Audio Fast Track Pro be a good one? What would you guys recommend?
Chris

My Gear-
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
Last edited by Ultrakd at Dec 16, 2011,
bump
Chris

My Gear-
What about a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB?
Chris

My Gear-
Quote by vince1991
for recording an amp the sm57 is simply superior. but when it comes to recording vocals i heard the sm58 is better.

They're pretty much exactly the same mic, just the SM58 has the silver bauble thingy on the top.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.