I am trying to become a bass player I have been taking lessons when I can for about 2 months. I currently have an Epiphone Les Paul bass with a small practice amp and recently ordered an Orange 100w combo amp. My question is would an acoustic bass be okay for a beginner to practice with when the electric is not practical? I travel a lot with work so it makes practicing regularly a nightmare with my work schedule usually gone 2 weeks out of a month. I was looking at an Ibanez acoustic electric with onboard tuner my thoughts are I could put it in a hard case and load it on a plane and go. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
No very bad idea my friend, the last thing you want on a plane is a massive and fragile acoustic bass. Travel with the electric and buy some sort of headphone amp (google is your friend).
I'm saying this because an acoustic will crack, snap and all that great stuff whereas the only place your electric would break and make it unplayable would be the neck.
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
I think he means an acoustic bass guitar, not an upright. Still not something I might advise on a plane though. I don't know much about it though. But it couldn't hurt to have one anyways.
Quote by THEdevilYOUknow
No, it's plain science, women are evil

Quote by MB343
Women = time x money
time = money
Money = √evil
women = √evil x √evil
women = evil
Yes, an acoustic bass guitar is what I’m interested in. Would there still be problems flying with an acoustic verse an electric as far as damage. No idea about flying with guitars.
Ok, I have the perfect solution.

The Kala U bass. Portable and can actually fit under the seat in front of you on a plane. And don't let the size fool you, they sound like much bigger basses.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/kala-u-bass-acoustic-electric-bass-ukulele/h74406000001000?src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=933341652

I own one and take it frequently on public transit and to work.
+1 to the Kala U Bass. If its just for practicing while traveling, Traveler Guitars make two models of bass designed specifically for that purpose.

The problem with ABGs is that the lower end ones aren't particularly good, they're not very loud unplugged, and if you're traveling, they're bulkier then an electric would be.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos

The problem with ABGs is that the lower end ones aren't particularly good, they're not very loud unplugged, and if you're traveling, they're bulkier then an electric would be.

Yep...

McGonigal, I was on a search for an acoustic bass guitar several years ago for the same reasons. I wanted something I could travel with and just take out and play when I had a spare moment or two. I found just what Tostitos mentioned, ABGs below the $900 mark were disappointing in terms of sound and playability.

Plus, a client of mine recently told me about his acoustic bass guitar (a Martin) getting completely smashed beyond recognition while it was in the hands of airline employees...and he had a very strong ATA travel case for the bass.

My overall suggestion: if you can find a $300 - $400 ABG that works for you and don't mind it potentially (not necessarily) having some issues during air travel (handling damage, cracks, setup changing due to humidity, etc.) you should go for it!

Otherwise, consider going with the aforementioned cheap electric bass and headphone amp. An electric bass will be more hardy and able to resist the effects of air travel.
Quote by XylemBassGuitar
Yep...

McGonigal, I was on a search for an acoustic bass guitar several years ago for the same reasons. I wanted something I could travel with and just take out and play when I had a spare moment or two. I found just what Tostitos mentioned, ABGs below the $900 mark were disappointing in terms of sound and playability.

Plus, a client of mine recently told me about his acoustic bass guitar (a Martin) getting completely smashed beyond recognition while it was in the hands of airline employees...and he had a very strong ATA travel case for the bass.

My overall suggestion: if you can find a $300 - $400 ABG that works for you and don't mind it potentially (not necessarily) having some issues during air travel (handling damage, cracks, setup changing due to humidity, etc.) you should go for it!

Otherwise, consider going with the aforementioned cheap electric bass and headphone amp. An electric bass will be more hardy and able to resist the effects of air travel.

Thanks for the info I will have to take a look at my options I think the ABG would be fun to play with but the electric might be more practical.