I've wanted the buckethead signature les paul forever but never got one because i never found one in person and the price was HUGE (msrp 4399.99)!

I went to my store today and asked if they could get one, and they told me they could for 1275.99$ so I ****ing flipped out and spit my cash on the table instantly, asking them to order it for me.

Now home, I go check it out and I notice that Gibson had actually just released a cheaper alternative to the Buckethead guitar calling it a 'Studio buckethead' instead of a 'signature buckethead', and on my order sheet it does indeed say 'LP STUDIO'.

I'm sort of disappointed to hear that, since it feels like this is just a knock-off of the real signature...

The most disapointing part is that the ebony board is changed with a 'baked maple' board (which I dont even know anything about).

Should I cancel my order or believe that the differences between the guitars isnt big enough to justify the price difference?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Last edited by bluezombie at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by Woffelz
Try them both out and then make a decision.

Can't do that.

They told me anytime they order a model for a customer it's like entering a contract, you have to buy it if it arrives. So i can't just say: Hey can you order the more expensive one too? Just so I can try both?
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
baked maple is a new thing that gibson are doing. looks like rosewood but sounds and plays better. its great. id try them out.
Quote by Lespauljames
ring them and explain the mistake

I don't KNOW if I want to cancel it. It still remains that it's apparently a 500-limited run, AND it is still exactly like Buckethead's guitar... Just without the binding and a different fretboard (everything else is exactly the same according to spec comparison)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
If that's not what you truly wanted, of course you should cancel it. That's a lot of money to be throwing around. Only buy a guitar if you can hold it in your hands and play it before you hand over cash. Doing otherwise is just foolish and leads to things like this.
The fretboard thing would bother me. There's nothing wrong with baked maple but if you were expecting ebony, it's not going to sound or feel the same.

On the other hand, I played the Buckethead studio a while ago (before they switched to the maple board) and it was a really nice guitar. Considering that you couldn't afford the custom shop version before, the Studio seems like the exact guitar you'd want, anyway. So, it sucks that you're not getting the one you thought you were, but you're still getting the closest thing to it within your budget. It's still a cool guitar. I'd probably stick with it, but that's just me.
It's really unlikely that you'd find either of those guitars used, as they're not particularly common. This seems like your best option if the thing you want most is a buckethead sig.
Quote by itamar100
baked maple is a new thing that gibson are doing. looks like rosewood but sounds and plays better. its great. id try them out.

how did you come to this conclusion?
Quote by Roc8995
The fretboard thing would bother me.

plus one big one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Dec 8, 2011,
no guitar is worth over 4000. 3000 for that matter.
What?! There's a clean channel on my amp?!

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
omfg i totally forgot about that, you sir are jesus christ.
That's weird that they're forcing you to buy it if it arrives. Call em' up, explain the mistake, and see if you can't try it out before deciding. If it plays nice, go with it.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
Quote by shikkaka
no guitar is worth over 4000. 3000 for that matter.

cool opinion bro.

but there are a lot of people that disagree with you.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
cool opinion bro.

but there are a lot of people that disagree with you.

Well, let me rephrase then.

For less than 4000 dollars, I can get a completely custom hand-made guitar. I realize though that that comment wasn't helpful though, so I will say that I agree with Roc.

If you can't afford the full version, the cheaper might be a good idea. If it sucks, the store probably has a return policy.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Last edited by shikkaka at Dec 8, 2011,
Quote by shikkaka
Well, let me rephrase then.

For less than 4000 dollars, I can get a completely custom hand-made guitar. I realize though that that comment wasn't helpful so I will say that I agree with Roc.

If you can't afford the full version, the cheaper might be a good idea. If it sucks, GC has a 30 day return policy anyway.

Well it's no guitar center, it's Richard Gendreau Musique ( biggest Gibson dealer in quebec ).

But yeah I'm having trouble believing the Studio version will disapoint me. I love the maple fretboard on my strat, so I suppose I am pretty curious about how 'baked maple' feels!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Just looked at your signature. Why haven't you purchased anything above a Cube and VT yet?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I saw that it wasn't a GC and edited. I suspect you will be happy with it.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
Quote by JustRooster
Just looked at your signature. Why haven't you purchased anything above a Cube and VT yet?

I have once been a happy owner of a Genz benz El diablo 100 head+cab set, but something extremely unfortunate happened to it... And let's just say my heart broke in two that day.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by bluezombie
I have once been a happy owner of a Genz benz El diablo 100 head+cab set, but something extremely unfortunate happened to it... And let's just say my heart broke in two that day.

I'm sorry for your loss.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Just make sure that guitar you ordered is a Gibson and not the Epiphone. Sometime store make mistake mixing them up like that.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Neck is mahogany, like almost all Les Pauls. They're just replacing Rosewood with other options right now because they've been having legal issues.
Quote by bluezombie
I don't KNOW if I want to cancel it. It still remains that it's apparently a 500-limited run, AND it is still exactly like Buckethead's guitar... Just without the binding and a different fretboard (everything else is exactly the same according to spec comparison)

I would just keep it if the only differences are minor like that. Here's a demo of some baked maple fretboard Gibsons, Rob Chappers and Capt Lee explains the baked maple boards very well in this vid and hopefully it'll clear up any questions you have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf61M3lBraY
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
im sure you will still like it with all the features that you were expecting. but no one can stop you from buying it, playing it for a week or 2, then returning it.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Thanks for your two cents everyone! Im still very much looking forward to getting it and i doubt i'll be disapointed
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
From what I understand, one is a Custom, and one is a Studio?

The differences are going to be way bigger than just fingerboard material. This is where how and what a guitar is made out of comes into play. When you get into this price range, "spec sheets" are next to useless. A Gibson can be spec'd the same as an Epiphone, but they're going to be completely different levels of quality.

I'd cancel the order and just save up for what you originally wanted.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
From what I understand, one is a Custom, and one is a Studio?

The differences are going to be way bigger than just fingerboard material. This is where how and what a guitar is made out of comes into play. When you get into this price range, "spec sheets" are next to useless. A Gibson can be spec'd the same as an Epiphone, but they're going to be completely different levels of quality.

I'd cancel the order and just save up for what you originally wanted.

I don't really think there will be any notable issues with quality. It's a > $1000 guitar anyway.

OP please do a proper NGD thread with pics and clips, I've been starving for first hand info of that guitar
Quote by Jyrgen
I don't really think there will be any notable issues with quality. It's a > $1000 guitar anyway.

OP please do a proper NGD thread with pics and clips, I've been starving for first hand info of that guitar

Thanks friend, and I will absolutely do so! :-)

The shop told me it should take between a week and a month, let's hope before christmas

Quote by shredibanez24
I would just keep it if the only differences are minor like that. Here's a demo of some baked maple fretboard Gibsons, Rob Chappers and Capt Lee explains the baked maple boards very well in this vid and hopefully it'll clear up any questions you have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf61M3lBraY

Thanks for that video! REALLY interesting stuff, I'm feeling good about the baked maple :-)
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Last edited by bluezombie at Dec 9, 2011,
The studio is still a lot of guitar for $1275. Aside from the different binding it does not have many differences that would be noticed by anyone who is not looking for them.
Quote by shredibanez24

I was about to post that vid!

Chappers FTW!

You should probably call and tell them they ordered the wrong one.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?