Hi all-

So here's my issue: when using distortion, i'm having some shrieking feedback. Not anything to do with the strings vibrating, but an independent feedback loop between the amp and pickups. I'll outline my rig (the important parts) below:

Guitars:
1970 Guild S-100... this is similar to an SG, but not really a copy. it's got some really solid humbuckers in it, the stock in the neck, and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge
FrankenTele... Schaller active single coil in the neck, some kind of passive hot rails style humbucker in the bridge (single coil sized)

Distortion:
Boss DS-1
EH Big Muff Pi

also, I use a Boss Bass Chorus on a lot of my leads (to add some shimmer and cut to the distortion), and that makes the problem worse

Amplifier:
Carvin XV-212 (100-watt, 2x12 combo- I use the amp distortion)

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? ask anything you need, i'll answer as best i can.
At the top you say 'when using distortion' - what does that mean.

I mean you list your distortion pedals and the next to the amp you say that you use amp distortion.

I am assuming this is a new problem or you wouldn't be posting.

On the surface I will say the DS-1 and Big Muff will give you all kinds of feedback if you don't control them. What are the settings on these pedals?

Also, is the XV a tube amp or a solid state amp?

Does it happen with both guitars?

Can you try your rig in a different room or a different location altogether?

is there anything new to your environment? new PC, lights, squirrels, etc
Assuming it isn't a crappy cable or something, my money is on the way you have your distortion pedals set up....Does it sound good when you're playing, and the issue is that when you aren't hitting a note it is shrieking and awful? If so, this is because you need to put a noise suppressor or gate after the distortion pedals to clean up the sound. I personally throw a Boss Noise Supressor after my distortion to cut off that shriek the instant I stop playing notes.
311ZOSOVHJH: The amp distortion isn't as much of a problem, but it doesn't have nearly as much gain. The DS-1 has both tone and gain at 12 o'clock, the big muff has gain dimed and the tone at about 3 o'clock. When I hit my boost, it's worse, especially for the DS-1.

My amp is tube, 100 watts (power switchable to 50 or 25, I use it at 50 watts when rehearsing).

The single coil in my tele is worse, even though it's the only active pickup. But both guitars have the same problem.

Different locations haven't helped so much- but i'm usually right in front of my amp.

There's nothing new, as far as I can tell. We rehearse at my drummer's house, and he may've changed lightbulbs or gotten a new microwave or something, but I haven't noticed it.

Darkness in Zero: There's definitely MORE feedback when I'm not playing, but I still get odd squeaks and squeals while playing. I've thought about a noise gate, but they make me nervous- so much tone sucking, and I don't want to cut the sustain. Do you have any words or wisdom on that?
Quote by Guild King
311ZOSOVHJH: The amp distortion isn't as much of a problem, but it doesn't have nearly as much gain. The DS-1 has both tone and gain at 12 o'clock, the big muff has gain dimed and the tone at about 3 o'clock. When I hit my boost, it's worse, especially for the DS-1.

Personally I think this is your problem. I've owned both. Those are insane settings imo. I'm a believer that the amp should provide the core distortion/tone. Maybe you need a new amp. what amp do you have now and what are the gain settings on it?

Why it is just now becoming a problem could 'maybe' be related to a battery going bad, power change or maybe a microphonic preamp tube. Or a maybe a solder joint or ground connection in the amp for example that is now causing problems.
you are pushing the front end of that amp way too far. you do not need nearly this much gain. also the DS1 is buzzy fizzy and terrible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The amp is a Carvin XV-212, which is a 100-watt tube amp. The distortion has two settings, a very middy, vintage sounding distortion, and a more "scooped" distortion (you can't footswitch these, so it's one or the other). I use the second, but even with the gain at 8 it's basically an overdrive. You can't throw off pinch harmonics (a big part of my playing) and the sustain isn't very good at all- it's no better than the clean channel. However, I really love the amp. The clean tone is FANTASTIC, and the equalization options are extensive. And the distortion is great, I just need something heavier for soloing/some rhythm work, and then I use the Big Muff for octave lines and some lead work.

While I understand the idea that the amp should be the basis for the tone (when I played a Mesa it was the only distortion I used), I really love my pedal setup. I have a big pedal board, and I use each one, without overusing anything. And the different distortions are a part of my sound. I use the amp distortion for rhythm chording and light leads, the DS-1 for power chords/most lead work, and the big muff for octave lines, some rhythm work that I need a bigger tone on, and some lead stuff.
Trashedlostfdup- I like the DS-1. I've used some much more expensive pedals, and some really great amps (a number of Marshall stacks, Mesa, Soldano, etc). But the DS-1 has a great compressed, cutting tone, and with my guitars/pickups, it works well. I also use it stacked with my amp distortion, which smooths it out a lot and kills some of that fizz.
Quote by Guild King
Trashedlostfdup- I like the DS-1. I've used some much more expensive pedals, and some really great amps (a number of Marshall stacks, Mesa, Soldano, etc). But the DS-1 has a great compressed, cutting tone, and with my guitars/pickups, it works well. I also use it stacked with my amp distortion, which smooths it out a lot and kills some of that fizz.

i respect your opinion, but i would say about 90% of people who i know either don't care for them, or have modded them. i just dont like them. they are 10x better once they aren't modded, and some of the mods i have seen are fairly simple.

as far as the amps to use it on, i have gone from peaveys egnater's, jet city, lee jackson, Orange, Splawn (Nitro and Promod). i have played quite a few mesas, messed around with soldanos.

but again that is my opinion.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Fair enough.

We were not trying to rag on your gear. I just know that if I ran a DS1 and a Big Muff with those setting on my rig - I would probably have feedback issues too

But, because you said this was a new problem - I'm going to guess that you have an overly microphonic preamp tube. If you don't have any spare 12AX7s get one. Start swapping the new tube through the various positions.

This video I made may help you cut to the chase.
http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh384/buckethead_311/Amp%20stuff/?action=view&current=Microphonicpreamptube.mp4

If it is not that then I'm out of ideas. I did look through your other threads too. Do you still have that '64 Bandmaster?
Yep. Definitely worth grabbing your spare preamp tube and trying it in different places. It doesn't take long and then you can eliminate it as a suspect if it doesn't fix it. You're pushing them pretty hard.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the advice, I'll try it. These tubes are probably at least a few years old (I bought the amp used, haven't retubed it).

I have the bandmaster, but it's not functioning at all. When I have a few dollars saved, I'll take it to a tech and have it looked over and repaired. Hopefully in the next couple months, actually. Then on to finding an original cabinet for it, and making/buying a footswitch (it's RCA rather than 1/4").
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you are pushing the front end of that amp way too far. you do not need nearly this much gain. also the DS1 is buzzy fizzy and terrible.

Bullshit. The DS1 sounds great with a good valve amp.
They've got a bad reputation because so many kids buy em as their first pedal to use with a crappy practice amp.

I'd definitely assume it to be a microphonic valve anyway, try tapping each one while the amp is on the edge of feedback and see if it increases the noise. If so, replace it (if you don't have a valve spare, you can sometimes swap it with the reverb driver tube).
^agreed on the DS1. I'll check out some new tubes this or next weekend, as I don't have any. The amp could use a whole new set, anyways. They're old (possibly original), and a new set might breathe some life into the amp. I don't think I have a reverb driver, that's op-amp (and the effects loop, and active graphic EQ).
www.dougstubes.com
www.thevalvequeen.com
www.tubedepot.com
www.thetubestore.com
www.eurotubes.com

JJ and Jan Phillips 5751 for preamp. Maybe one Tung Sol if you want to mess with a brighter tube.

SED =C=, JJ, RubySTR and Mullards for power

and I owned a DS-1 and didn't care for it but to each to their own
Are the Electro-harmonix tubes any good? I know I've really only heard good things about JJ and Groove Tubes.
EHx aren't too bad for New Sensor rubbish.

Groove tubes can be anything, they just rebadge things. You have to decipher the entire code to know what you are actually getting.

Get a JJ ECC83S.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
JJ tubes it is.

What's the benefits/drawbacks of using different preamp tubes? I know I've heard of 12AT7's and 12AU7's being substituted.
Those have less gain basically.

this is a rough estimate

12AX7 most gain
5751 a bit less
12AT7 about 70% less
12AU7 about 50% less

Personally, I'd contact Doug at dougstubes.com. He ships fast, will respond via text, makes great tube recs, and has an awesome selection. Not sure if he carries JJ's anymore though. He is the type that will not recommend the same brand of preamp all the way through. He will make a specific recommendation if you give him your amp, your style and what you want to change. Brighter? Put a Tung Sol in V1. Cheap and dark? Put JJs in. For example.
no problem

i've also had great success with valvequeen.com (Laura) and eurotubes.com (Bob).

if you decide you want all JJ's - then just got to eurotubes or whomever has them

bob has a bit of snake oil and unsafe bias practices imo but he's a good guy
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 10, 2011,
If you want to Marshall it up a bit, stick JJ ECC83S valves everywhere. Bucketloads of midrange.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I prefer Mesa over Marshall. Very into American high-gain amps. I had a Mesa, but I didn't own it and eventually had to give it back to it's owner. That was a sad day... But the Carvin has a great voice all it's own, and some interesting features.